Is anyone else anti BFS

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Is anyone else anti BFS

Post by fishingandfords » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:13 am

I guess I don't see the fun throwing 1/8oz baits and can't wrap my head around the buzz about BFS. I guess since I have not problem catching fish I don't see the need to use super light line but lately everyone is posting pics or asking if such and such can cast 3 gram baits. Who else is on the Anti BFS train?

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Is anyone else anti BFS

Post by a1712 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:30 am

Not Anti-BFS, but I tried it and it just didn't fit. I'm a Power Fisherman, I can slow down when I have to, just didn't like the finesse thing. Brian.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:31 am

Can't do a BFS in bassfishing, unless you want to catch a very small bass...

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:49 am

No BFS for me ...

If I have to slow down or go below 3/8 or 1/4 oz. I change techniques.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:58 pm

If by "BFS" you are specifically referring to using bc reels to cast tiny lures then yes, I am with you. Spinning reels are far better suited for this purpose. Fishing mainly for Smallies, I have to occasionally resort to finesse presentations if I want to consistently catch throughout the year.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:51 pm

Ultralight ain't BFS

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:11 pm

I am all BFS.
Perhaps beacuse there are no bass where I live. I really loved fishing for bass in the US with lures weighing 3/8 to 1 oz and had little need for BFS gear.
However, when at home, I need to be able to throw 1/8 to 3/8 oz lures easily for trout and perch. Not all my reels need to be able to handle 1/8 oz lures - but if a reel cannot handle at least 1/4 oz lures with ease then I have little interest in it.

You may ask "why not just use spinning gear"?
Most importantly: Because I find baitcasters so much more fun to use.
Of less importance: Baitcasters are practical and in a way more precise when I fish along streams - especially in windy conditions. I have direct contact to the lure and can stop it before it gets blown into vegetation.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:21 pm

Dalleinf wrote:I am all BFS.
Perhaps beacuse there are no bass where I live. I really loved fishing for bass in the US with lures weighing 3/8 to 1 oz and had little need for BFS gear.
However, when at home, I need to be able to throw 1/8 to 3/8 oz lures easily for trout and perch. Not all my reels need to be able to handle 1/8 oz lures - but if a reel cannot handle at least 1/4 oz lures with ease then I have little interest in it.

You may ask "why not just use spinning gear"?
Most importantly: Because I find baitcasters so much more fun to use.
Of less importance: Baitcasters are practical and in a way more precise when I fish along streams - especially in windy conditions. I have direct contact to the lure and can stop it before it gets blown into vegetation.

More control with baitcasters throwing light lures in windy conditions? :shock:

If you feather the line on a spinning reel with your fore finger you should have every bit as much control over your lures.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:17 pm

Yes, actually a whole lot better control with baitcasters. I mostly use Mepps 3 style spinners (6-7 gram with split ring and upgraded hook) and we are talking very windy conditions. I just set brakes relatively tight (Aldebaran, Metanium w Yumeya spool, PX68 SPR or Alphas) and adjust my casting angle a little. It is possible to cast straight into the wind but it naturally affects casting distance.

Even though I feather the line, I can not get nowhere near the same control over a spinning reel. Especially in very windy conditions due to line bow (too much loose line) with spinning tackle.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:27 pm

I should specify that with "very windy" I mean winds of around 10 m/s --- more than 12 m/s I do not care for...

By no means a great video but from a morning with near-standard Danish wind:
http://youtu.be/B93y2_lG7Vw
Last edited by Dalleinf on Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:38 pm

Cracker wrote:Can't do a BFS in bassfishing, unless you want to catch a very small bass...
They were all caught with 7# Sniper and they aren't 10#ers but I was happy.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:21 pm

I use my 'bfs' set ups with 30lb braid.Is that cheating or the best of both worlds :-k

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:30 pm

africanbass wrote:I use my 'bfs' set ups with 30lb braid.Is that cheating or the best of both worlds :-k
Best of both worlds - naturally :D

I often use similar line - primarily to pull lures free when I do hit vegetation :?

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:17 am

BFS was invented by tackle companies to sell product.

A skilled angler can use a 7' medium light, or mag light rod, with a 1000 or 1500 sized spinning reel, and cast 1/16 ounce with great ease.

but that isnt very cool looking....so its best to buy a baitcaster, change out all the internals, and be the cool kid on the block.

light lure fishing isn't anything new....just using "bfs" tackle is new......

Don't be against it....but also, it's ok to smirk at these fun bfs threads where people spend $600 or more on an outfit to throw a 3 gram lure.... :) :) :) :)

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:29 am

In my opinion, you are missing out on one of the most fun ways to catch fish of any species. Can I do on spinning gear what I do on my BFS? Yes, but I will make more casts(no dealing with twist) and hit my target much more. When fighting a fish I feel more control and it is just plain fun.

As for targeting big fish...I run a Volkey 6'9" XUL rated 2-8 lbs line with a PX68R with #6 floro. That combo has landed trout upto 9.7lbs and bass upto 5lbs.

I have a new phone and so no pictures, but here is me fighting a 2.5 lbs trout and whooping it's butt. Throwing a 1/16oz jig with 2" minnow bait.
IMG_20160110_3336.jpg
IMG_20160110_3336.jpg (46.35 KiB) Viewed 8192 times
IMG_20160110_14785.jpg
IMG_20160110_14785.jpg (27.94 KiB) Viewed 8192 times