What setup am I missing?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
dinosorcerer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

What setup am I missing?

Post by dinosorcerer » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:48 pm

So far I have

1 UL BFS setup
1 6'6" Medium Action Rod : Crankbait/jerkbait/topwater
1 7'6" Flipping setup*hardly use since my frogging setup does this as well*
1 7'2" Frogging setup/Pitching setup/flipping
1 7" MH Chatterbait/spinnerbait/lipless crank/deep dive crank/Weightless Soft plastics
1 XXH Swimbait 1/2 ~ 8 Oz

Is there another setup I need? What you guys think?

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What setup am I missing?

Post by cumara » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:17 am

It looks like you have a good range covered from ultra light to extra heavy. It really boils down to what baits/techniques do you enjoy, and having the right tool for the job. If there's a bait or technique that you're using and the combo is sacrificing something in terms or power, sensitivity, casting distance, etc., by all means look for another rod/reel that will do exactly what you want it to. Most people seem to prefer a more moderate rod for moving baits, and weightless plastics on fast action Jig/Worm rod, me included, but really comes down to what you like to do most often and your preference for length/power/action.

dinosorcerer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dinosorcerer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:45 am

Thanks cumara. Sounds good to me. I'm trying to rationalize a need to get another setup haha.

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cumara » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:54 am

If you don't see a gaping hole in your lineup, I would think about adding an all-purpose type of rod that could do a bunch of different stuff well. Depending on your preference, something like a 7' to 7'3" MH or H Fast that offers flexibility to throw most stuff well. You have the really light and heavy stuff covered, unless you primarily like to throw finesse stuff or big swimbaits.

dinosorcerer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dinosorcerer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:08 am

Yeah, my 7 MH is an Ultima 70MH, and I feel like it can do most things. That and also my c40 Mephisto(right now as a frogging/flipping) can also do everything.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:53 am

I think you need another mh rod. I'd get annoyed retying especially with all of the duties you are assigning it.

dinosorcerer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dinosorcerer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:03 am

masterbass wrote:I think you need another mh rod. I'd get annoyed retying especially with all of the duties you are assigning it.
Sweet sounds like a good plan. Thanks

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:47 am

dinosorcerer wrote:
masterbass wrote:I think you need another mh rod. I'd get annoyed retying especially with all of the duties you are assigning it.
Sweet sounds like a good plan. Thanks
Yeah, a dedicated jig/worm rod

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:00 am

Perhaps a spinning rod? Maybe a cranking rod? As others noted maybe a jig rod of some kind.

Okiekev
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Okiekev » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:07 pm

Maybe a Texas rig rod or a bottom contact jig rod. Something along the lines of an NRX 853 or a bit heavier 873 depending on your wants. Otherwise looks good.

dinosorcerer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dinosorcerer » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:44 pm

Okiekev wrote:Maybe a Texas rig rod or a bottom contact jig rod. Something along the lines of an NRX 853 or a bit heavier 873 depending on your wants. Otherwise looks good.
I have never gotten a G Loomis rod before, how do they compare to jdm counterpart? thanks!
Fishing4Fun wrote:Perhaps a spinning rod? Maybe a cranking rod? As others noted maybe a jig rod of some kind.

I'm not so into spinning rods. I'm leaning towards a jig rod. Thanks

Okiekev
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Okiekev » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:27 am

I know I can't speak for everyone, but I am a huge fan of G Loomis, particularly the NRX line. I don't know of any rod in the US or JDM that is more sensitive than the NRX line. They are light and have a very fast tip. Don't try one unless you are ready to buy it.... Good luck

Mothercanucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mothercanucker » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:19 am

A versatile drop shot, wacky senko and ned rig rod.

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:56 am

My first thoughts are how do you really like to fish? What baits do you throw consistantly that produce for you where you fish? Most of us are not "road warriors" and fish limited bodies of water. We pretty much know what will work and what won't.

The 6'6" Med is an excellent choice for drop shots, shakey heads, and finese stuff. It is also great for smaller spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, jerkbaits, light worms/jigs, small crankbaits, and top waters.

Your frog rod takes care of the heavier bottom contact stuff, medium size swimbaits, and frogs.

7' MH will take care of your larger top waters, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, worms, small to medium size swimbaits, etc.

I don't know about these large swimbait rigs. I don't use them where I fish. But it sounds like you got that covered.

What else do you throw?

Crankbaitmaker

dinosorcerer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dinosorcerer » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:09 am

Crankbaitmaker wrote:My first thoughts are how do you really like to fish? What baits do you throw consistantly that produce for you where you fish? Most of us are not "road warriors" and fish limited bodies of water. We pretty much know what will work and what won't.

The 6'6" Med is an excellent choice for drop shots, shakey heads, and finese stuff. It is also great for smaller spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, jerkbaits, light worms/jigs, small crankbaits, and top waters.

Your frog rod takes care of the heavier bottom contact stuff, medium size swimbaits, and frogs.

7' MH will take care of your larger top waters, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, worms, small to medium size swimbaits, etc.

I don't know about these large swimbait rigs. I don't use them where I fish. But it sounds like you got that covered.

What else do you throw?

Crankbaitmaker

You pretty much listed what I throw, haha. However, I feel like a another MH would be great since I usually mainly throw chatterbait, crankbait and weightless plastics ( fat ika, senko, keitech swimbait ) so I might get another MH so I can easily switch off fast moving baits and soft plastics.

Just recently got a Conquest 250dc I love that reel so much that I may get a Conquest 101dc for the next rod. But according to Plat.co site, its in production at around end of may... So I will have to wait for quite awhile.

Also, for the life of me, I have never ever caught a fish on the spinnerbait. It feels impossible for me to catch anything on it. Any recommendations?
Thanks for the input!