Best scale....

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Best scale....

Post by Boondock » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:47 am

So a buddy of mine caught a Colorado pig... 8+lbs
No scale :lol:

He already ordered a 60lb boga but we were wondering how accurate it is on those smaller fish. 3-5lbers?
Do a lot of pike and TM fishing so the 30lber may be bottomed out at some point.

Any other scales worth while?
I have a accucall, it seems ok.... Never know how accurate it really is.

Hate how Boga's tear up pike TM and laker lips/jaws. Bass are fine but 15+lb fish I've seen the damage a boga does.

Thanks

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Best scale....

Post by Toadslayer72 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:09 am

I have a friend who has a Boga and he found out that he doesn't like the increments. I think it's something like 1/4 lb. increments :shock: No way in hell could I ever accept such tolerances as a trophy hunter. I always wanted to to get a high end digital scale, the Brecknell Salter to be specific. I never did and I'm not sure if I ever will now because the Rapala 50 lb. scale I've been using for the past several yrs is DEAD NUTS accurate. Here's what I've been doing every year before my first trip out. I take a 10 lb. weigh and a 5 lb. weight to two different post offices and my local butcher and I have them weigh the weights in lbs. and ozs. I was expecting my scale to be off a few ozs. requiring me to do some math every time I used it but it's on the money. If I fished for heavier species of fish I'd have them weigh weights more representative.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:27 am

My setup is cheap and I have been super happy with it. Fish Grip Jr. (floats and is indestructible) and a cheap hook scale from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/United-Plastic-01 ... ge_o03_s00

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Balanc ... ge_o04_s00

Accurate to a 100th of an pound. Has never failed.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:18 am

I have an orange fish grip and they work very well! They neutralize pike situations nicely!

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:55 am

Why don't you put the fish into a weight sling or at least a bag? There would be no or minimal damage to the fish and you can use any scale.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:12 am

Fish Grip Jr and the Rapala Touch Screen 15lb for me.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:38 am

All the digital fishing scales work well. But I like to also have a Chatillon 10lb spring scale in my tackle box in case of a dead battery. They are very accurate and can be found on the auction site usually for under $20 and they last forever.

wiel0059
Angler
Angler

Post by wiel0059 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:15 am

I love the Rapala Touch Scale, personally. I'm also a northern angler so 15 lbs is plenty for me lol. I understand it may not be for others.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Rapala_T ... -RTDS.html

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:11 am

Berkley TEC is the best digi scale I've used to date....and let me tell you, I've used them ALL.

the 35lbs model is the one we use.

DROCK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DROCK » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:55 am

Anyone else? I'm interested in hearing opinions as well.

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:50 pm

I've used an AccuCul scale for several years now and it's the best scale I've owned. I check its accuracy every so often and it's never been off more than 0.1 lb. Just measure out 1 gallon of water, weigh the jug on a benchtop scale and measure the full jug with the scale. I usually do 1 & 2 gallon "standards" and that AccuCul has really held a stable calibration.
I do wish the AccuCul was was more water resistant as I have dropped mine in the livewell a time or two, but after a battery removal and drying session, the scale continues to work well.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:02 am

I like the Boga and never had any problems with the 1/4lb increments. You can usually get that down to an 1/8lb just by eyeing it. We use the 15lb model during bass tournaments and it has been very accurate. Last tourney we weighed 5 fish(5,4.25,4.75,4.75,4.25) and total weight was 23.2lbs. Not having to wait for it to turn on and zero out is a big bonus when time is money, and there's nothing worse than turning a scale on and the batteries are dead. Being IGFA certifiable, it doesn't get much more accurate than that. The 60lb is definitely not as clear, since it weighs in 1/2lb increments. I have both the 15lb and 30lb, but rarely use the 30. I couldn't imagine holding the 60lb up trying to get a weight on a 50lb fish, kind of awkward. Its more than just a scale though, very useful as a fish handling device. It's high quality stainless, and built to last so you get what you pay for.

What kind of damage are you seeing to the fish so I can keep an eye on that? It occasionally puts a hole in a trouts lower jaw, but it never tears a large gash or anything more serious than a hook would cause.