How long can a bass live out of the water???

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: How long can a bass live out of the water???

Post by Dustys60 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:38 am

I had two bass die in the live well last week at a club tournament. I have never had one die before I felt so stupid. The water temp was about 90. I had my recirculation pump running the whole time but obviously it wasn't enough. Alot of the guys told me to run my Fresh water in the whole time for now on when it is that hot. It is only a 3.5 hr evening tournament. The weird thing is I put a 3.5 lb in right away than the next was about 3 very shortly after. Than we got a 2.5 right at the end. Both the 3 and 2.5 died but the one in there the longest lived. The 2.5 wasn't in there 15 min. Anyhow this is kinda off topic but I wanted to share because even in water it took less than 15 min to die. I also want to say again I am very ashamed of this but wanted to share the story so maybe I could learn more as well as others.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:28 am

The analogies to drowning dogs and straggling yourself aren't quite right. Fish can still "breathe" through their gills in air, but at large loss in efficiency. I'll have to look for the research on this, but my recollection from the paper is that the larger the fish the longer it can survive out of water, and that a 6" bass out of water for a minute will not recover. Also they estimated that at around 2lb or bigger, a bass would recover from 5 minutes out.

That said, I'm with the unhook and get back asap crowd. I want to admire them for a sec and then get them swimming again.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:05 am

Heronimo wrote:What's the point of this question? If you're CPR, then get it done as quickly and responsibly as possible. Not sure why some people are inclined to photo every 1 and 2 lb bass they catch, but that's another story. Hold it vertically by the lip, not horizontally unsupported, try not to let the bass flop around on your boat deck, don't use your feet to hold it down while you get your hook out and get it back in the water- fast!

How long can you hold your dog underwater? Doesn't sound right, huh?
Where can I go to catch these yuge 1-2 pound bass??? :mrgreen:

This is what I CPR

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:14 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Heronimo wrote:What's the point of this question? If you're CPR, then get it done as quickly and responsibly as possible. Not sure why some people are inclined to photo every 1 and 2 lb bass they catch, but that's another story. Hold it vertically by the lip, not horizontally unsupported, try not to let the bass flop around on your boat deck, don't use your feet to hold it down while you get your hook out and get it back in the water- fast!

How long can you hold your dog underwater? Doesn't sound right, huh?
Where can I go to catch these yuge 1-2 pound bass??? :mrgreen:

This is what I CPR
haha no way, you beat my PB for this year already!!!?

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:36 am

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:Often appalled I am on the way some folks disrespect life, often to point of anger if I'm being totally honest.
i am like you. in fact, i started watching a youtube video of joe thomas fishing lake picachos in mexico and got so angry watching him that i couldn't even finish the video. it truly was shameful and i'm getting angry again just thinking about how he treated those poor fish while showboating for the camera.

RogerHarvey
Angler
Angler

Post by RogerHarvey » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:52 am

hello there.. I think it depends,usually you have to release them faster if it took you longer to land the fish, they tires out more. In the hot weather they are prone to stresses as well. Ill say the safe time span is inside 2 minutes, from the time you get him out of the water to getting him back in.