Technique Specific Suffocation

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Technique Specific Suffocation

Post by goldrod » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:34 pm

do you think we have become TOO technique specific minded that we are burdening ourselves? I know one thing that bothers me is having a reel without a rod or vise versa. Than I get to think about what Tech, I want to do which causes me to spend money unnecessarly striving for perfection
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Technique Specific Suffocation

Post by goldrod » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:36 pm

and once perfected the addiction ensues.
of all my gear there are just some pieces that are an absolute pleasure to use even when I don't get a bite but that's so rare.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:45 pm

Yes. I am in the constant pursuit of the "perfect" punch rod.

I do go through rods because I find something better. I am pretty good when it comes to reels as I do not put as much thought into them. I have gotten a lot better about it.

Rods on the other hand, I am constantly searching. I'd say I have pretty good rods but I am still looking to tweak my selection. Like I said earlier, I am still on the punch rod quest.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:42 pm

I used to just have 3 combos, that all I could afford, no more. I want it all and never have enough. :lol:

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:17 am

ccass wrote:Yes. I am in the constant pursuit of the "perfect" punch rod.

I do go through rods because I find something better. I am pretty good when it comes to reels as I do not put as much thought into them. I have gotten a lot better about it.

Rods on the other hand, I am constantly searching. I'd say I have pretty good rods but I am still looking to tweak my selection. Like I said earlier, I am still on the punch rod quest.
Tried the XX Amart or the BJ Punch & Swimbait yet? I use the Amart currently and just got the BJ to try out for this upcoming season. Megabass also has two new TS series rods coming out and one is a 7'-11" punch beast...
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:19 am

Teal101 wrote:
ccass wrote:Yes. I am in the constant pursuit of the "perfect" punch rod.

Tried the XX Amart or the BJ Punch & Swimbait yet? I use the Amart currently and just got the BJ to try out for this upcoming season. Megabass also has two new TS series rods coming out and one is a 7'-11" punch beast...
I'm looking on the finesse side of punching with a deep bend. Not sure how heavy those rods are
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:53 am

I like the pursuit of technique-specific combos personally. I don't have the funds to go after every single piece of equipment that I want to try, but I do have enough to have given myself a good starting point from which to base my search from.

cvanpelt
Angler
Angler

Post by cvanpelt » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:57 am

I am starting to come to the conclusion that less is more (less than 16ish combos 8-[ ) for me! If I had the means to go completely technique specific I would lose my mind and never know what to decide!

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:43 am

I currently have 12 setups, but feel like 15-16 would be ideal for me personally. And I feel like once I hit those 15-16 setups, my mentality will start to become, "How can I make this current setup for those techniques better?" So, I imagine I will start replacing certain setups with new, more high-end, enthusiast gear. I like to try and keep my setups as versatile as I can, yet still be somewhat technique specific, especially when certain techniques require it...if that makes any sense.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:48 am

No doubt. I once had 23+ combos. Some were rarely used. I've chopped it down to 16 and could get rid of a couple cranking set-ups if I wanted too. It was heavily marketed in the early 2000's until now that we need rods made specifically for a given technique and I drank the cool-aid. If you put a picture of a spinnerbait on the blank, it must be the perfect spinnerbait rod. Fact is, many rods can be used for multiple uses, especially in the JDM market. I now pay more attention to the ratings on a rod.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:52 am

My opinion is that if you have the cash and the deck space then, why not? Otherwise, many rods will do a few things well enough to have some really fun outings on the boat. I have a 7'3" MH that throws just about everything if I don't feel like bringing a bunch of rods out that day.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:16 am

There has to be a point of diminishing returns.
I have read threads started here where a guy asks for the best jig rod for a very tight range and then proceeds to start another thread or twelve about whale jig rods needed for another (or multiple) very tight ranges...
If I am spending more time and money chasing down 'ultimate' combos than I end up fishing them , or if I end up selling something off that is less than a fishing season old... then I know I am suffering from suffocation. Both financially and time on the water-wise.

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:27 am

I agree 100%. I have cut down to multi pourpse rods that can do many things like the mb xx emtf and dsr. I also enjoy shimanos zodias and expride. There more of do it all rods and i enjoy fishing them more.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:34 am

cut down on a lot of stuff including what i carried on my boat.. going through that stuff was funny and scary at the same time

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:46 am

It's important to learn new techniques or you stagnate as an angler. It also helps maintain a high level of interest in the sport.
The other part, looking for a specific rod/reel for a specific set of conditions, that's not out of line either.