Technique Specific Suffocation

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Technique Specific Suffocation

Post by lifeofRiley » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:12 am

Yes a great deal of people on this site get way too into rod specifics for certain presentations. Versatility is key in rod selection, and I also think having a similar set of rods leads to increased casting accuracy and confidence. I'm looking forward to fishing next year with a good core of combos and selling a lot off.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:31 am

I am a big fan of keeping it simple. My rod locker in my 19 foot boat only holds 15 rods without taking out the rack. I feel lost if I have more than six rods on the deck. My daily goal is to get dialed in enough to get to two or three rods on the deck by the end of the day.
With that being said, we have so many more lures and techniques today that just require more specific rods to fish at the highest level. Tournament fisherman or not, we are enthusiasts on TT and trying to fish at the highest level, which requires very specific tackle. This will never change.
It is embarrassing to get beat by something that you don't know how to do or aren't prepared to do in the tournament world. Being versatile is mandatory. I won five of my ten total club tournaments in one year when I was nineteen in 1989. All five were on different baits from the top to 90 feet with an ice jig. The club members asked "How the heck do you know how to fish all of those baits at such an early age?" "How can you not know how if you wan to win?" I responded. The competition was so tough that year that I didn't even win angler of the year. :cry:
Last edited by toddmc on Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:33 am

I love having options. The more the better IMO.

theres many great options if you want to buy 3-6 versatile rods and that really is all you need.

someone who fishes a dropshot 50% of the time will probably want a very soft tip although he can get by with a more versatile rod. a guy launching 3oz swimbaits or umbrella rigs will need a technique specific rod.

some technique specific rods are quite versatile. My "carolina rig" NRX 873 is perfect for the way I fish 1/2 jigs. I think that giving this rod the CRR name might actually discourage some sales.

My collection is pretty versatile, the only "technique specific" rods i have would be XF jig and worm rods but even those are versatile within their weight range with bottom contact baits.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:38 am

I am sort of new to enthusiasts tackle. I have a 16'5 aluminum (walleye) boat, not a ton of deck space for rods or storage. I have a MB f51/2 xti for tubes and smaller cranks, a MB Faust for punching and frogging, and I'm looking at a H action JDM style rod for 3/8 -1/2Oz jigs, t-rigs smaller swim baits and bigger cranks. I started out looking for the heavy action rod. I ended up finding a good deal on a medium heavy, and a good deal on a extra heavy lol. I can see how this can get out of hand. I only want 3 more rods at this point. The versital H action, a top water combo, and a second high end spinning combo. 6 rods in the boat and I am done.. hopefully.