Tackle addict vs fisherman?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Tackle addict vs fisherman?

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:50 am

I think he is just saying that after he is done using a reel he puts a cover on it and sets it aside in the boat. Picks up another outfit, removes the cover and then fishes said outfit. While retying baits or landing fish he is cautions where he sets the rod and reel. He isn't the guy with 10 rods lying on the deck all uncovered and all slopped together in a mess with reels and rods banging around while running. He probably just takes a few extra seconds to make sure he is taking care of his equipment when it is not in his hands being fished. Unless you are fishing for money it would make sense to take a few extra seconds to take care of your gear. ;)

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:51 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:I think he is just saying that after he is done using a reel he puts a cover on it and sets it aside in the boat. Picks up another outfit, removes the cover and then fishes said outfit. While retying baits or landing fish he is cautions where he sets the rod and reel. He isn't the guy with 10 rods lying on the deck all uncovered and all slopped together in a mess with reels and rods banging around while running. He probably just takes a few extra seconds to make sure he is taking care of his equipment when it is not in his hands being fished. Unless you are fishing for money it would make sense to take a few extra seconds to take care of your gear. ;)
You look into things too much... ;)
Well then, he treats his equipment much as I do and many others here. I don't put a cover on my reels between use because I have racks and holders to keep them from touching anything damaging.
For those who use anywhere from 2-5 rods every outing , at least five times a week there is definatley a point of diminishing returns when it comes to daily rig washings. Especially in 100% fresh water. And us poor suckers who spend every spare dime on fishing gear while letting bills go unpaid, even less room for shelf queens.
I am proud of how my rigs look and also take pride in my gear, but I use it more than I am proud of it.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:08 am

I have only been fishing for about 3-4 years now and only "seriously" for bass for about one year, though I did managed to get out easily 3-5 days a week for most of last season. I fish from the bank or kayak, so all of my combos are in constant risk of either going overboard, getting tossed in the dirt/sand, or having my clumsy self fall on them while scrambling around. I set a limit for myself that none of my combos could cost more than $300 to replace.

Then, as I was interested in all things finesse, I joined TT to learn more about BFS. Now I have a $500 combo and the first time that rod smacks a branch because I didn't check my back cast room or that reel hits the dirt because I hooked a 20" pickerel and I need both hands to deal with him, I am going to wince a little. But I am having a blast and one only lives once. I do take care of my stuff but don't baby it at all. While I really enjoy the idea of dress-up parts I have yet to pull the trigger on any. I make functional upgrades but can't bring myself to spend $10 on green anodized screws. Yet anyway.

I also was into shooting before I got into fishing and man, even high end fishing stuff seems so cheap compared to even mid-range gun stuff. That $500 combo (and another $200 worth of lures) was funded by selling a single crappy rifle. If I could go back in time and put a fishing rod in my hand rather than that first gun, I would have a bass boat and a truck to pull it by now.

While I am really enjoying building up a nice little arsenal of rods and reels, my real weakness is the tackle, specifically soft plastics. I have just an embarrassing amount and seem incapable of stopping myself from buying more. None of my friends fish and I have a standing offer to fully outfit anyone who wants to take it up, just to free up some space.

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:16 pm

"I also was into shooting before I got into fishing and man, even high end fishing stuff seems so cheap compared to even mid-range gun stuff. That $500 combo (and another $200 worth of lures) was funded by selling a single crappy rifle. If I could go back in time and put a fishing rod in my hand rather than that first gun, I would have a bass boat and a truck to pull it by now."

LOL. I love this. Words to live by. I have sold so many firearms the last few years. It is laughable, how much more enjoyment I get from fishing vs. shooting.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:50 am

dirtygeary wrote: LOL. I love this. Words to live by. I have sold so many firearms the last few years. It is laughable, how much more enjoyment I get from fishing vs. shooting.
Pulling that gun out of the safe to sell it did get me missing shooting a little, but I live in such a built up area that it is a long long drive to shoot at a pretty crappy range. With fishing, any puddle without a "no trespassing" sign is fair game.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:36 am

I used to be into paintball, particularly speedball before I got into bass fishing. Now that's an expensive hobbie and especially when you become the paintball equivalent of a tackle enthusiast, a 'gun whore'. Mixing and matching color parts, grips, regulators, barrels, tuning the pneumatics, swapping/flashing the board and on and on.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:27 am

I appreciate function over aesthetics. I don't abuse my gear, but it gets worked like the tool it was meant to be. I don't own any shelf queens either. Every reel gets stripped to the frame every winter and built back up. Rods get cleaned, cork gets protected at this time, never again until it's done for the year. Reel rash is a part of it, it doesn't bother me one bit.

My gear runs the gamut from JDM down to $1.99 closeout bin baits and everything in between. If it works for me then it earns a spot in the lineup. If you dismiss gear simply because of where or where it doesn't come from, you're missing out on a lot of gems.

It seems for some guys it's always about the gear and the activity itself takes a back seat. That's a shame. But then again, no harm no foul ...

Susitnasalmonguide
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Susitnasalmonguide » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:55 pm

I find myself to be both a Tackle addict and a fisherman. I've got plenty of gear, so during the summer I often don't purchase much. Winter is another game entirely -- yes I go ice fishing -- but summer salmon fishing is what really gets me going -- and it is a long time from early September until May when I start salmon fishing again. So during the winter I dream -- and spend too much money purchasing or building new gear. Fisherman in the summer -- Tackle addict in the fall -- winter -- spring.

Susitnasalmonguide
Quantum, HL Outdoors - ESB Bobbers, Pautzke Bait Company, Sufix

jtgibso1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jtgibso1 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:57 am

i'm a tackle junkie that loves to fish. i'll fish every combo i own. now some of them aren't going on the river in the kayak, but i have no shelf queens at all. i have some high end rods, reels, lures and all of them are getting wet at some point!

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:01 pm

Been truly addicted to fishing since I was probably six or seven...when my grandpap, God rest his soul, taught me how to fish with lures...my best memories of fishing revolve around our times spent together. Honestly never was a true gear junkie until about the time I joined TT here lol, then things got out of hand. Always had decent quality US market stuff, but the idea of spending any more than 100-150 on either a reel or rod just didnt make any sense to me....but then, I wasn't appreciating the artwork of finely crafted gear at the time, it was all about function. Still, no matter what gear I used, I always took care of it... Most of my life I shore fished, and would never set my rod down....even when unhooking a fish, I would cradle my rod in my arms- and still do to this day, although now I am typically in a boat or yak. Have since bought lots of high end stuff, and now the only time I use the really top shelf stuff is the rare occasions that I shore fish, less chance of things getting damaged and bumped round. To that end, I keep different levels of gear for different fishing now, lowest end stuff for kayak river running...lol, funny thing is, the stuff I now consider low end is the stuff I used to think of as high end as a younger fella...I have plenty of stuff that gets used, probably about 30 combos that I rotate thru depending on where Im going, how Im fishing, and of course what Im after...Have developed a habit over the ears of collecting tho, in all things that I enjoy...so of course that took hold in my fishing hobby as well. Haven't counted recently, but I figure I have about 500 rods here NWT, about 400 USDM and about 100 high end JDM stuff...and I guess between 50 and 60 NIB high end reels shelf queened as well...and Lures! Haha Ugh...been trying to slow down, but don't think I'll ever stop completely. I enjoy the tackle almost as much as the fishing itself- almost. Although nothing eases the soul quite like a good day on the water. Just about the only time I feel truly at peace.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:10 pm

The above post sums it up perfectly,it's all about what puts a smile on your dial :D
Happiness is a sore thumb

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:17 am

CALL ME RIFLE wrote:Haven't counted recently, but I figure I have about 500 rods here NWT, about 400 USDM and about 100 high end JDM stuff...and I guess between 50 and 60 NIB high end reels shelf queened as well...and Lures!
500!! :shock: :shock:

You sir are truly afflicted! I'm envious. :D

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:22 am

I'm an industrial maintenance mechanic and I'll draw some parallels here. My tools get used. They do a LOT of work because they were purchased for a purpose. But once a week, I wipe them down, inspect for wear or damage and make sure I'm not missing anything. They do the job well, because I don't buy junk. I spend money on tools that will last and will make me a better and more efficient worker.
For me, my tackle is well and truly a tool. I use my rods and reels a lot to enjoy my preferred hobby. I love to fish and get out about 125-150 days a year, even if it's just a couple of hours after work at a nearby pond. My reels always get covers when not in use. I like for them to stay looking nice, so I make sure they are clean and properly maintained. I am careful while using them, because I spend a lot of money. And I was raised to believe that you take care of what you have, no matter if it cost $2 or $2 million. I grew up with the old all-metal Zebco 33's & 808's, and then Abu 5500's and 4600's. That was in the early 80's. My dad still owns and uses those exact same reels, even the Zebcos. When something broke, he repaired or replaced the defective part(s). When it got dirty, he cleaned and/or re-lubed it. Same thing with our guns. I have a shotgun, a .22 rifle and a .243 that are all 30-35 years old and they still work fine. They don't look new, but they still look nice. He taught me by example, so that's why I think like I do.
In summary, my rods and reels are tools to catch fish. But I like to own nice tools and I take very good care of these things so they will, in turn, take care of me.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:41 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:I'm an industrial maintenance mechanic and I'll draw some parallels here. My tools get used. They do a LOT of work because they were purchased for a purpose. But once a week, I wipe them down, inspect for wear or damage and make sure I'm not missing anything. They do the job well, because I don't buy junk. I spend money on tools that will last and will make me a better and more efficient worker.
For me, my tackle is well and truly a tool. I use my rods and reels a lot to enjoy my preferred hobby. I love to fish and get out about 125-150 days a year, even if it's just a couple of hours after work at a nearby pond. My reels always get covers when not in use. I like for them to stay looking nice, so I make sure they are clean and properly maintained. I am careful while using them, because I spend a lot of money. And I was raised to believe that you take care of what you have, no matter if it cost $2 or $2 million. I grew up with the old all-metal Zebco 33's & 808's, and then Abu 5500's and 4600's. That was in the early 80's. My dad still owns and uses those exact same reels, even the Zebcos. When something broke, he repaired or replaced the defective part(s). When it got dirty, he cleaned and/or re-lubed it. Same thing with our guns. I have a shotgun, a .22 rifle and a .243 that are all 30-35 years old and they still work fine. They don't look new, but they still look nice. He taught me by example, so that's why I think like I do.
In summary, my rods and reels are tools to catch fish. But I like to own nice tools and I take very good care of these things so they will, in turn, take care of me.
=D> =D> =D> well said!
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:56 pm

clutter and unused things bug the shat out of me in all walks of life. I seek the smallest best set of great tools that will do the job well. Most of my online interest in tackle is how I can better my tool box without cluttering it up too much. Of course I have rods that are rarely used simply because I don't fish a certain pattern. For example, I'm not fishing in KY in the winter in past few years so my jerkbait rods don't see action. I'm not selling them but they don't go in my boat any longer and won't unless I pick up winter fishing.

I take care of everything I own to a fault. Another character flaw :D from upbringing that has little to do with tackle specifically.