New Bass Mafia Terminal Coffin

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

New Bass Mafia Terminal Coffin

Post by jmb27 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:33 am

Any one use this yet? Do the hook and weight coffins work well?

I like the other Bass Mafia Coffins (even with the extra weight), curious as to how the new one works.

wingzero9969
Angler
Angler

Re: New Bass Mafia Terminal Coffin

Post by wingzero9969 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:38 am

Don't hold very much. That's it's biggest downside imo

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:31 am

The coffin overall or the hook/weight holders? How well do the hook/weight holders work?

If the box works well to keep hooks and weights organized well, I can use that box for just what I need for that trip and keep the other one for "stock."

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:59 am

Handled some in a shop. Nice concepts, not sure about the type of plastic used for construction, seems like it could crack in some spots easily. Should hold up well just doesnt grab me though. Very bulky but when used with proprietary bag that bass mafia also offers the totes match well. Also be better for bass boat set ups. I mainly kayak fish and doesn't suit my needs well enough.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:04 am

Cristo wrote:Handled some in a shop. Nice concepts, not sure about the type of plastic used for construction, seems like it could crack in some spots easily. Should hold up well just doesnt grab me though. Very bulky but when used with proprietary bag that bass mafia also offers the totes match well. Also be better for bass boat set ups. I mainly kayak fish and doesn't suit my needs well enough.
Are you referring to the plastic on the hook and weight coffins or the coffin itself? I have some of the bait coffins and the plastic is quite heavy duty (literally and figuratively). Definitely would not be very practical for a kayak setup (I use a small plano box when I am in the kayak).

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:17 am

Negative just mainly did dividers in some of the deeper crank boxes I was looking at seem pretty brittle and would crack easy but I'm sure they're fine as they said they're just not my cup of tea. I currently use a olano soft sider 3700. Pack a lot for yak trips. Again not ripping bass mafia just my few cents. I was actually going to purchase a crank coffin online but after handling them just was underwhelmed for the price.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:08 am

It wont crack, I'll tell you that. I have beat this piss out of mine in a tin boat in a bag for two years now. My only issue is the dividers will eventually flex enough they pop out of place if the box is loaded sideways...granted that is with them full to the top of lead and tungsten.

I'm currently working on filling a terminal box. So far construction is OK. My front set of dividers wont stay in place very well, but BMT is taking care of me by sending a new box out. Overall build quality is good, but the details lack. The O-Ring has excessive glue on it thats visible. I'm semi OK with this as my other boxes have O-Rings that fall out. I was informed they changed the glue they use on these new boxes. I plan on doing a review of the terminal coffin when I get my new one and can load it up fully. I will tell you weights over 3/4oz will have a VERY hard time fitting in the foam and that weights with a punch skirt holder will not fit in the holder with the plastic slide over lid on. Luckily the box has such a tight tolerance at the top (AMAZING for snap rings and dropshot hooks so they dont slide between compartments) that larger weights like that will not come out of the holder even with the plastic sliding lid off.

For the record I have two deep 3700's, a shallow 3700, the terminal 3700, and just got their new tackle bag. If you need a tackle bag, it cant be beat, period.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:53 am

Teal101 wrote:It wont crack, I'll tell you that. I have beat this piss out of mine in a tin boat in a bag for two years now. My only issue is the dividers will eventually flex enough they pop out of place if the box is loaded sideways...granted that is with them full to the top of lead and tungsten.

I'm currently working on filling a terminal box. So far construction is OK. My front set of dividers wont stay in place very well, but BMT is taking care of me by sending a new box out. Overall build quality is good, but the details lack. The O-Ring has excessive glue on it thats visible. I'm semi OK with this as my other boxes have O-Rings that fall out. I was informed they changed the glue they use on these new boxes. I plan on doing a review of the terminal coffin when I get my new one and can load it up fully. I will tell you weights over 3/4oz will have a VERY hard time fitting in the foam and that weights with a punch skirt holder will not fit in the holder with the plastic slide over lid on. Luckily the box has such a tight tolerance at the top (AMAZING for snap rings and dropshot hooks so they dont slide between compartments) that larger weights like that will not come out of the holder even with the plastic sliding lid off.

For the record I have two deep 3700's, a shallow 3700, the terminal 3700, and just got their new tackle bag. If you need a tackle bag, it cant be beat, period.
Thanks and I look forward to reading your additional review of the new terminal boxes from them. I have a deep 3700, two shallow coffins along with a couple of their non-coffin storage boxes. You can order the weight/hook boxes separate to drop into coffin box, but for the price (on TW), you might as well just order the weigh/hook boxes w/the terminal box.

I don't think that I'd have an issue with the plastic dividers flexing as I lay the boxes flat for my Falcon tackle bag.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:43 am

It is unadulterated crap. I returned mine. The coffin lids would not slide open on the hook and weight coffins. There are little bumps on the lids that are supposed to serve as stops when the lid slides...Except there is no provision in the wall of the coffin. So the lids don't open. A couple of the lids had chunks missing from the corners due to this when they just slammed them home in the factory. They also had scratches and flaws from this.

You can't get the bullet weights out of the holder when you finally get the lids off. There is not enough of the weight sticking out to grab. As you add more weights, the grip gets tighter because the foam compresses.

For $55, the box better be darned perfect, and it was completely half baked.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:33 am

The quality is garbage for the cost. The terminal tackle is so OCD it's not practical. It's very limiting. I was very interested till I stepped back and thought about its use.

It shocks me the quality is so bad cause the release was postponed quite some time do to quality issues and this is what they ended with? Can't imagine what the original run came out as. I just can't imagine how these boxes cost 10x what a Plano box cost. I'm amazed their tackle bag is only $100 when I seen it I was very impressed then blown away at the price figured they'd at least charge several hundred dollars. 2 of their boxes almost equal the bags cost.

On a positive they are standing behind their product.
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:14 am

I'm on terminal box #3 and still have issues. Customer Service has been great in replacing bad product, but CS only goes so far when the product is this bad. First two had front dividers that wouldnt fit in the slots and popped sideways easily. Box #3 is good there, but the lid has to be forced down to close and the latches wont hold it shut very well. If the latch is barely bumped it pops open...last thing I want is terminal tackle flying all over.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:13 am

Thanks for the responses. Shame that the product doesn't sound like it works well for an interesting concept. I'll keep using the old Falcon terminal box that I have.

djd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by djd » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:12 am

Experimented this summer with this Gamakatsu slit foam box. Doesn't hold the very largest of hooks, been works good for if you get them on sale, you buy 4 for the price of 1 Bass Mafia Terminal Coffin.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gamakats ... GB6SF.html

djd