Zona goes to the big D

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
JigginOG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Zona goes to the big D

Post by JigginOG » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:22 am

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:12 am

It seems like Shimano isn't real big on sponsoring pros while Daiwa tries to sponsor everyone. I also noticed it seems like Shimano tends to sponsor show hosts rather than pros, maybe they are dropping that as well. Then again their products stand on there own as I think most people fish Shimano based on their quality rather than a pro using them.

I wonder if it had anything to do with Zona mostly using the high end stuff like NRX and Antares when most consumers are not in the market for that gear. I wonder if he will do the same thing with Daiwa and use allot of Steez rods and reels. It would be tough to go from using Antares and Metaniums on NRX rods to Quantum! But no such downgrade would be needed switching to Daiwa.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:57 am

I don't think any of the above has anything to do with it. I just think its money. Daiwa gave him a better deal than Shimano. Nothing about product involved.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:28 am

So I reread my above response and decided it sounded rather "snarky". I did not mean it that way. To elaborate, marketing plans change from time to time with all companies and within all industries. A decade or so ago Daiwa had many "star" bass pros signed and sponsored. They seemed to kind of leave the area for a while now they are doing it again. I don't know the reasons for the change. They just seem to be taking a more aggressive marketing direction.

From a fisherman's view as long as they are matching increased marketing with good product, I'm happy. Sometimes companies use slick marketing to cover faulty product. I know I have been burned on that, probably more than I would like to admit.

The Daiwa products that I have used have preformed well as have the Shimano products. The rest is just marketing.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:40 am

He also just signed with Seaguar.

He has one of the biggest fan bases, I don't think that will change because he signed with Daiwa.

People make changes in life and as long as they can live with them then that's all that matters. He still has the best fishing show on tv.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:31 pm

never understood why someone buys something because some endorsed figure uses it.

Just shows that they don't care....and it doesn' t matter what it is...as long as it is financially beneficial

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:19 am

78Staff wrote:I read on another forum Shimano moved sponsorship to some youtube/kids on the block type fishing sensation... They also cancelled Dave Mercer's show or sponsorship or something along those lines... Moving advertising $$ to different media it looks like.
This is true from what I heard also. Dave was with shimano/shimano Canada for 25 plus years

djd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by djd » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:33 am

Glad the title of this thread meant something different than I originally thought .... :lol: