New Ideas (Wobble Head)

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

New Ideas (Wobble Head)

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:02 pm

So recently I built myself a rig for fishing the 4.8 and 5.8 Keitechs, more so the 5.8's and bigger because I've already got a good way to rig the 4.8 FATS.

I ordered some of the Gambler hook-less football wobble heads, got some Owner #2 split rings, and used a Gamakatsu EWG Monster 6/0 hook... I use some different hooks and have them figured out pretty good, my question is about the split rings though. It really seemed like the #2 was quite small, what should the biggest size I use be? I have a D&M Beast Swimjig (uses and Owner Beast Hook) and the split ring on it is HUGE (also an Owner).

So does anyone have any good suggestions for ring size when constructing wobble heads???

Also been wondering if anyone knows who to contact or how to contact a company if you have a good invention/idea. I have seen many of my inventions created recently and wish so bad I had gotten them out first. Worked with SPRO for a long time, but they've been really sketchy about non-disclosure agreements...

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New Ideas (Wobble Head)

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:41 am

I've always wondered how much money would actually be in it.

I too have seen tons of my ideas show up in the market from reels to baits. And outside.

I had applied for a patent nearly 20 years ago for led valve stems and washer nozzles. My lawyer sold me out.
I was 19 was referred a lawyer by someone who has one of the greatest patents of all time. (something that is on every woman's purse) Can't prove it but the jerk shopped my idea.

Also came up with EZbuy.com in 1999. Had tons of wholesale distributors on board. The idea was to take advantage of their individual accounts by their location for fastest and cheapest shipping. Items would be sold and shipped by the closest shop. I'd take a flat rate. They would make their proffits. Wholesalers would bill a % to their retailers to be involved.
But website design and hosting was outrageously expensive and couldn't come up with the 250k at 18 to put all the pieces together.
Fast forward to today....ahem...amazon....who makes 15% per sale....

And since then I was always curious how to get it done and keep it protected.

For 11,000$ you can hire a firm who will draw up designs, patent it, do all the market research, find investors, market it all for 15% stake in the company.
Friend of mine is using them for a pool cleaning device and has been pleased with the process. His patent should be validated in a few months.
That seems to work since they put out quite a bit of cash and put in some time. And they don't get paid unless you succeed with the idea. SO they market it as well.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:51 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:I've always wondered how much money would actually be in it.

I too have seen tons of my ideas show up in the market from reels to baits. And outside.

I had applied for a patent nearly 20 years ago for led valve stems and washer nozzles. My lawyer sold me out.
I was 19 was referred a lawyer by someone who has one of the greatest patents of all time. (something that is on every woman's purse) Can't prove it but the jerk shopped my idea.

Also came up with EZbuy.com in 1999. Had tons of wholesale distributors on board. The idea was to take advantage of their individual accounts by their location for fastest and cheapest shipping. Items would be sold and shipped by the closest shop. I'd take a flat rate. They would make their proffits. Wholesalers would bill a % to their retailers to be involved.
But website design and hosting was outrageously expensive and couldn't come up with the 250k at 18 to put all the pieces together.

For 11,000$ you can hire a firm who will draw up designs, patent it, do all the market research, find investors, market it all for 15% stake in the company.
Friend of mine is using them for a pool cleaning device and has been pleased with the process. His patent should be validated in a few months.
That seems to work since they put out quite a bit of cash and put in some time. And they don't get paid unless you succeed with the idea. SO they market it as well.

The current idea/design I have is a definite winner. Not a million dollar idea, but enough to put my life back on track and probably put me and the wife through/finish college. The JDM market is going to nail this terminal tackle/hook idea before long I am scared though, just makes sense for the way they fish.
I applied for a provisional patent once, had an idea for a phone battery that charged from your movement. Had the same design charge system as a shake flashlight, but rested on a pendulum so it rocked constantly and provided a slight charge throughout the day. Sent tons of paperwork to Motorola, Samsung, LG, etc. but it was right when smart phones appeared (which eat tons of battery) and my idea WORKED, but didn't build enough charge. It would turn a 4 day life into a 4.01 day life. Was still a fun experience and I learned a lot, but I should have had an electrical engineer review it more thoroughly. I am sure my name is still listed on the provisional out there somewhere.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:03 am

DirtyD64 wrote:

The current idea/design I have is a definite winner. Not a million dollar idea, but enough to put my life back on track and probably put me and the wife through/finish college. The JDM market is going to nail this terminal tackle/hook idea before long I am scared though, just makes sense for the way they fish.
I applied for a provisional patent once, had an idea for a phone battery that charged from your movement. Had the same design charge system as a shake flashlight, but rested on a pendulum so it rocked constantly and provided a slight charge throughout the day. Sent tons of paperwork to Motorola, Samsung, LG, etc. but it was right when smart phones appeared (which eat tons of battery) and my idea WORKED, but didn't build enough charge. It would turn a 4 day life into a 4.01 day life. Was still a fun experience and I learned a lot, but I should have had an electrical engineer review it more thoroughly. I am sure my name is still listed on the provisional out there somewhere.
Problem is...what do you do with it.
Do ya go the go fund me route.....how do you market it and how much does that cost.
Do you license it to others? Who's to say they don't make their own variation. Just like everything else.
And the fishing industry is struggling and small as is. So lures and such meh....
A hook design would be cool. But look at the recent hook companies that sprout up and don't even stay relevant.

The company idea buyer may be worth contacting since they do quite a bit of legwork. If ya do....lemme know ahead of time...as i may get a referral or something :)

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:51 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

Problem is...what do you do with it.
Do ya go the go fund me route.....how do you market it and how much does that cost.
Do you license it to others? Who's to say they don't make their own variation. Just like everything else.
And the fishing industry is struggling and small as is. So lures and such meh....
A hook design would be cool. But look at the recent hook companies that sprout up and don't even stay relevant.

The company idea buyer may be worth contacting since they do quite a bit of legwork. If ya do....lemme know ahead of time...as i may get a referral or something :)
I'm telling you man, and you seem to be a lot like me mechanical wise, this is a good one. It isn't ground breaking, but when it appears (hopefully for sale making me $$$) you will say "duh". It might already even exist in Japan, and there are some homemade versions not quite the same as mine out there.
I have been on the phone with Owner 40+ times and we can't make an agreement. This idea fits my finesse style perfect though, and even if I don't get to license the idea I would still buy them like crazy...

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:13 am

Good topic on great ideas, how to get them in front of a big brand name without being pirated.

I have several ideas I'd pursue, too. Maybe, I'll find time this year. Mine relate more to kayaks.

On what you are describing, is it similar to the Owner Pivot Head???

Brad

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:57 am

Brad in Texas wrote:Good topic on great ideas, how to get them in front of a big brand name without being pirated.

I have several ideas I'd pursue, too. Maybe, I'll find time this year. Mine relate more to kayaks.

On what you are describing, is it similar to the Owner Pivot Head???

Brad

Yea, I am just making the pivot heads for personals though. My idea is for a new product concerning a terminal tackle snap that is hopefully not out there. I like the pivot heads but they are expensive and not the right hook for how I use them.