Casting vs. throwing your back out

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Casting vs. throwing your back out

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:08 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
big_gee wrote:I believe even in clear water you do not have to make long cast. Accuracy plays more of a roll then distance. I fish a lot of clear water here in So Cal and I very seldom make super long cast. The longer the cast the less feel you have with your bait.
I started deep cranking with briad and a long leader. Awesome feeling casting with a heavy wind and barely seeing your lure hit. Covers huge amount of water and ive noticed catchung more fish on the crank with the longer cast. The braid helps with the hookset and my rod and leader make up for the lack of stretch in the braid.
Would like to see a video of that. I bet that setup absolutely bombs. How big of cranks are you talking? Even better if you were to film it put an over sized 1oz lipless crank on there...

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:41 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
big_gee wrote:I believe even in clear water you do not have to make long cast. Accuracy plays more of a roll then distance. I fish a lot of clear water here in So Cal and I very seldom make super long cast. The longer the cast the less feel you have with your bait.
I started deep cranking with briad and a long leader. Awesome feeling casting with a heavy wind and barely seeing your lure hit. Covers huge amount of water and ive noticed catchung more fish on the crank with the longer cast. The braid helps with the hookset and my rod and leader make up for the lack of stretch in the braid.
Would like to see a video of that. I bet that setup absolutely bombs. How big of cranks are you talking? Even better if you were to film it put an over sized 1oz lipless crank on there...
I have some footage of me using the setup. Ill have to dig through some to see if I got any bomber casts. I can tell you, it is easy to get distance with it. That rod loads up and the 12 Antares is a bomber reel.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:47 am

LowRange wrote:It is very lake dependant. I think fish that hang around docks in crystal clear bodies of water with a lot of pleasure boat traffic acclimate to that environment and don't mind biting around boats and people. I can toss baits at docks 6 feet away and pull bass of all sizes out of it. I've even seen a good sized bass run up on my trolling motor and go nose to nose with it when I pointed it at a dock. It is like it wanted to challenge it or something but swam away when the prop kicked in. Okoboji Iowa large mouth bass don't seem to give boats a passing glance.
Most of our small SoCal lakes see a ton of pressure with all of the people that we have, and most lakes have very few docks. If you also add the fact that most of the public lake fish have some Florida stain in them, you can only imagine how aware the fish are. A short cast rarely is rewarded with a fish of any quality.
I purposely use Northern strain fish (like you have in Iowa) in some of my backyard golf course ponds because they have higher catch rates. There is a lot to be said for unpressured Northern strain fish. I wouldn't call them stupid, but they usually aren't cautious. :lol:

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:37 am

Coming from a spinning reel set up...I don't hard cast. It's always been a gentle type of casting stroke. Only enough for the magnetic weight transfers in the lures to get them going.

When I first tried bait casting gear...yeah...that was a disaster of a bird nest. My spinning reel casting stroke was too fast. I had to tone down and let the system work itself: lure, line, reel. Once I got that down, my bait casting gear on relatively eased casting was out distancing my spinning gear. It's all in the flick of the wrist for the most part.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish