Cost to ship a rod is lunacy

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Cali
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Cost to ship a rod is lunacy

Post by Cali » Mon May 20, 2019 9:43 am

I still don't understand how people ship rods for 20$. I shipped two rods <7'4" for 45$. Bronzefly stated that all shipping companies changed their policy, and items over X length will be hit with massive charges.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:52 am

Nihility wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:43 am
I still don't understand how people ship rods for 20$. I shipped two rods <7'4" for 45$. Bronzefly stated that all shipping companies changed their policy, and items over X length will be hit with massive charges.
Depends on what you have access to. I have access to a good fedex account through work and I can ship rods with 2 to 3 day delivery from Atlanta and it's rarely above $20.

International rod shipping is the real lunacy. Lucky if it is below $125 coming from Japan. Sadly, I had to cancel an order for a rod that I really, really wanted due to the shop's inability to get a decent shipping quote. The quote was a multiple of the figure earlier in the paragraph. :shock:

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Wed May 22, 2019 11:09 am

Just shipped a rod for $15.85 via USPS priority mail (2 day).

Had a larger tube (3 rods in one) that shipped for $48 USPS. They didn't want to take it, but I had done it online and sweet talked them.

The new rule I heard was anything over 97" (lxWxH) is a no go. My larger tube was technically 2 inches over that, but they shipped it and it arrived fine.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed May 22, 2019 12:11 pm

Nihility wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:43 am
Close - Fed Ex and UPS have instituted an "oversize" charge that starts around $100 in addition to actual shipping costs. Our experience has been that anything 8' or over will be subject to this fee. I hear that some folks have still had luck using USPS for 8' and over rod shipping.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap