Best rod tubes for travel

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Best rod tubes for travel

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:46 pm

Hi all,

Looking for input on the best rod tube for transporting rods for travel. The tube would have to be handled by the airline, so it makes me nervous. Any insight is appreciated.

Toku

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best rod tubes for travel

Post by poisonokie » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:48 pm

You could use an Airliner if you put a PVC or at least cardboard tube inside. They're lockable, but they're liable to break those anyway. I've never taken anything but three piece rods myself because you can waltz tight on the plane with those.
This is the way.

hokiehi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hokiehi » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:40 pm

I've never flown with my rods, so i can't speak to the abuse that an airline company would put on a travel tube.
That said, I use a 4" schedule 40 PVC cut to 7'6" for my rods and feel extremely confident that my rods would survive a flight. I use unthreaded caps that slip onto the pipe and marked one cap as the tip end so i can always pull rods out by the butt. I leave rod socks on to protect guides and have fit seven casting and one spinning rod into the tube before, but that was a tighter squeeze than i'd like to admit.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:59 pm

Tokugawa wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:46 pm
Hi all,

Looking for input on the best rod tube for transporting rods for travel. The tube would have to be handled by the airline, so it makes me nervous. Any insight is appreciated.

Toku
I did my own for a fraction of the price and more durable.

All you need:
  • Water pipe: I advise it to be 4" longer than the longest rod. Wider is also better
  • Two flanges with screw lids
  • Glue
  • Hairdryer
  • Saw

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:26 am

I stick my 2pc in a pvc tube that is 1" longer than the rod. The rod is put into a rod sock that is cloth, and folder over. Ends of the tube have a shop rag stuffed in to keep it tight. Been to S Carolina, Maine, California, Alabama, and Tennessee with no issues. It gets "carried on" and put in the overhead.
<")))><{