Store brand rods and reels

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Store brand rods and reels

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:47 pm

ClearCreek wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:47 pm
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:26 pm
There are a lot of Cabela's rods that I like. I tend to stick with name brand reels though. The Tatula variants can be found for around $100.
I think Cabela's brand rods are a thing of the past. I was in the Billings, MT store last week and the only Cabela's rods were the ones on clearance. I asked the guy in the fish department if the Cabela's rods are going away and his answer was, "it appears that is the case".

I am glad I stocked up on several of the Cabela's brand rods a few years ago.

ClearCreek
Looks that way. Too bad. I never liked the Bass Pro rods.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:14 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:47 pm
ClearCreek wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:47 pm
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:26 pm
There are a lot of Cabela's rods that I like. I tend to stick with name brand reels though. The Tatula variants can be found for around $100.
I think Cabela's brand rods are a thing of the past. I was in the Billings, MT store last week and the only Cabela's rods were the ones on clearance. I asked the guy in the fish department if the Cabela's rods are going away and his answer was, "it appears that is the case".

I am glad I stocked up on several of the Cabela's brand rods a few years ago.

ClearCreek
Looks that way. Too bad. I never liked the Bass Pro rods.
Quite a few of Cabela's rods and reels were rebadged Daiwa.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:06 pm

I got a few Cabelas rods when I worked there, they are decent and with a discount :big grin:

But the way they handle rods before putting them on the wracks was insane, basically just throwing as many rods
as they can in a cart and wheeling them to the floor....

finfinder
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finfinder » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:19 am

The competition between Bass Pro and Cabelas pushed them both to be competitive with their offerings at different price points, now, .. not so much. I liked the Cabelas house brand (rebadged Daiwa) stuff better.

Now that Bass Pro has taken over, they are phasing out most of the Cabelas house brands...

edwelch1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by edwelch1 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:01 am

Johnny A wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:14 pm

Quite a few of Cabela's rods and reels were rebadged Daiwa.
Back in the mid 2000's (I think) my dad had picked up a Daiwa Capricorn spinning reel on a closeout deal as my first "good" spinning reel, and was slightly bummed that it was discontinued by Daiwa after that year. Walking through Cabelas just over a year later, I was elated to find my beloved Capricorn had been rebranded as a Cabela's Prodigy, and that it was even cheaper than the closeout deal that I had gotten on the Capricorn. Only difference was the label on the reel body and spool, otherwise they were identical, color and everything. Even though I've upgraded since then to better gear, those two reels are still serving very well on our "dock rods" for friends and family members that visit our cabin.
www.blindjumperoutdoors.com

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:11 pm

finfinder wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:19 am
The competition between Bass Pro and Cabelas pushed them both to be competitive with their offerings at different price points, now, .. not so much. I liked the Cabelas house brand (rebadged Daiwa) stuff better.

Now that Bass Pro has taken over, they are phasing out most of the Cabelas house brands...
This x2

When I was working at Cabelas two months ago that is what was going on, to me the Cabelas rods are far superior to the
BPS rods.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:52 pm

Too bad. Fortunately there are plenty of better options out there for not much more. I've got more rods than I could ever use anyway...