How many rods/reels do you actually use

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: How many rods/reels do you actually use

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:04 pm

edwelch1 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:13 am
2 spinning combos currently, and one of them is more of a backup. I have a baitcasting musky rig as well, but that stays at the cabin and I'll maybe use it once or twice a year, so I don't really count that. I primarily target walleye, crappie, bluegills, and other panfish, with the occasional smallmouth bass, rock bass, or northern that will hit when I'm going for the others.

Primary rig is my St Croix Legend Elite Panfish 6'4" LXF, mounted with a Daiwa Tatula LT 1000, spooled with 15lb YGK Admix PE Slow Sinking Braid and usually 6lb fluoro for a leader. I got it this spring, it covers 90%+ of my open water fishing, and I've been really enjoying it all around. It's a bit light for some of the fish I have gotten into, but the challenge of bringing in a 20+" walleye or northern on this light rig has been super fun when it happens.

Since getting that, my G-Loomis 6'10" GL2 DSR Mag-light XF, mounted with a Pflueger Patriarch 25 and Yo-Zuri Super Braid, has become a backup. It's still a good combo, it just feels heavy and sluggish compared to my new combo, so I don't care to use it much anymore. So far this summer I've only used it for a nighttime lighted slip bobber fishing over one weekend so that I didn't have to keep changing my main rig every night, otherwise it's been used more by my GF.

I do plan on replacing the GL2 with something on the level of the LEP, because the feather weight and increased sensitivity has been a game changer. I'll likely either go with a comparable length/power/action St Croix Legend X, or I really want to try my hand at custom building using high-end components. And I'll probably be putting a Daiwa Kage LT 1000 or 2000 on it, since that seems to be a slightly upgraded Tatula. Once that replacement happens, then the GL2/Patriarch will either be the GF's or my dad's if either want it, or it'll just be a cabin rod for other people to use.

For my own use, I don't see a need to have more than 2 rods, and a L/XF and a ML/F or ML/XF are pretty much perfect for covering my bases. LXF for 90% of my fishing, MLXF for when I need to use 1/4 or 3/8oz jigs to get down to the bottom in current or a fast drift.
I was kind of the same way for a long time until I found some of these forums online and learned I need all these fancy setups lol. I used to find one setup I really liked and just fish that one for everything. I didn't make a lot of money back then (don't really now) so it was usually a combo costing $100 or less. Had a ton of fun. The combo I used the last 10 years was a MH Abu Garcia cardinal combo i got at Walmart for $50 caught a ton of fish. It's still sitting on my rod rack. Nothing fancy but it worked for me.

I think that will be the most difficult thing for me at this point. I can see myself easily finding one of my setups that works well all around for me that becomes my favorite and then I'll never use the others. I do like the idea of being able to have different lures ready to go if I want to change it up quickly. Also as dumb as it may sound it feels good fishing with gear I really like to look at even though it doesn't help catch fish but most of the stuff I have now is so much more sensitive/smooth than my old $50 combos and I'm not even using high end rods.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:10 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:32 am
I usually have around 13 setups, all baitcasting. I fish a variety of species so, a few setups wont work for me.

I got 5 BFS setups. Covers trout, panfish and bass:
1 for cranking
1 for the extremely small lures/fish
1 bass/panfish
1 "power" BFS for all-round use
1 for trout/panfish.

The rest are bass, walleye and such:
Deep crank
Shallow crank/moving baits
All around MH (spinnerbaits and such)
2 flipping setups (different powers)
1 jig rod (severely neglected)
1 Texas Rig rod (also neglected)
1 All-around medium (all things 1/8-1/2oz)

I cover all my bases. Its nice to not have to swap lures around too. The overlap with some of my setups is nice in case someone is using my setups. I have considered selling some of my less used setups.
Well looks like you have a well thought out collection. Each setup serves a different purpose. Im happy with most of what I have but I feel like I ended up with a couple extra MH or h rods and could have used a few more ml or l rods. I kind of built my collection on impulse and started thinking about the techniques later on. I mostly fish bass but would like to start crappie fishing and trout fishing occasionally so maybe ill add a light setup. I was starting to become interested in some of the majorcraft rods anyway.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:28 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:45 am
I fish for many different species in fresh and salt. Still, most of fishing - 90% or more - is in streams for searun brown trout (or salmon).
I have more than seventy rods (recently counted and a few added since then) plus a similar number of reels.
When going for trout, I only bring one setup. At home, I use many of my of rods/reels, which I clean often and pack down after each outing. For next trip, I typically find a different combo.
Travel / multi-piece rods are used on vacation and some work-related trips. Just now, I am in Norway with 8 setups.

I guess I could get by with 5 setups and do fine for life.
Now that is a collection. 70+ rods and reels. Sounds like you really take care of them though. Just curious, did you reach 70 rods over a long period of time?

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:32 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:58 pm
2 lights
2 medium lights
2 mediums
2 medium heavys
2 two piece travel rods. One medium light, one medium heavy.
8 casting reels - 7 Daiwa, one Metanium DC
That looks just about perfect to me for what I want. Evenly spread out over the different rod powers. I'd maybe want one heavy for frogs but for all I know a medium heave can get that done too. I'd definitely like to get a light rod and maybe a fast medium light since I have a moderate. Oh and I'd like them to all look as nice as yours haha

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:41 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
2 lights
2 medium lights
2 mediums
2 medium heavys
What are your light setups ?

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:49 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:50 pm
MountainMan 83 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:40 am
I have about 8-9 baitcasting reels and 6-7 rods. I usually take turns and experiment with combos plus different spools throughout the year depending on technique I'm trying for.
I have a hard time doing that. If I have a rod/reel by itself I feel like I need to find a rod/reel so I can put it to use. I guess it would be nice to move things around and see what works best though.
Yeah, I definitely need to step up my rod game. I have mostly diawa, but would like to try out some megabass.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:20 pm

I have about 35 Rods and 40 reels. I rotate my rods and take 8 rods or so with me in my boat when I go fishing.
As far as budget goes, your going to have to decide that for yourself. The higher the budget the more careful you tend to be with your gear, rod socks and reel covers etc. If you go camping or on a trip with your fishing gear, you tend to not bring the more expensive stuff, at least that's what I do. I have a wide variety in price on my gear and enjoy them all, you don't have to spend big bucks on all your combos.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:23 pm

MountainMan 83 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:49 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
MountainMan 83 wrote:
I have about 8-9 baitcasting reels and 6-7 rods. I usually take turns and experiment with combos plus different spools throughout the year depending on technique I'm trying for.
I have a hard time doing that. If I have a rod/reel by itself I feel like I need to find a rod/reel so I can put it to use. I guess it would be nice to move things around and see what works best though.
Yeah, I definitely need to step up my rod game. I have mostly diawa, but would like to try out some megabass.
I have a few daiwa and just got into Megabass rods with a levante (which unfortunately that line had some issues they are working on) and an old destroyer evoluzion elseil. Haven't been willing to throw down the money for one if the expensive ones. I've been happy with my daiwas for the $100-$150 price range.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:55 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:28 pm
Dalleinf wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:45 am
I fish for many different species in fresh and salt. Still, most of fishing - 90% or more - is in streams for searun brown trout (or salmon).
I have more than seventy rods (recently counted and a few added since then) plus a similar number of reels.
When going for trout, I only bring one setup. At home, I use many of my of rods/reels, which I clean often and pack down after each outing. For next trip, I typically find a different combo.
Travel / multi-piece rods are used on vacation and some work-related trips. Just now, I am in Norway with 8 setups.

I guess I could get by with 5 setups and do fine for life.
Now that is a collection. 70+ rods and reels. Sounds like you really take care of them though. Just curious, did you reach 70 rods over a long period of time?
Yes, I take very good care of my stuff. You can find a very little scratch on perhaps 5-10 of my reels and bigger scratches on 2 reels that I dropped by accident (one while cleaning it 8-[ ).

I am 40 years old an started fishing when I was around 6 years old. A couple of my rods are from my teens. The vast majority has been been purchased in the past 10-15 years and most during my 5-10 years following TT (and having started making some $ with a house and garage for storage).
Again, the 70+ number includes the whole shebang, and therefore also deep sea tackle etc., but most can be used for bass and trout.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:02 pm

I refuse to count what I have. I want plausible deniability. Honestly i have a bunch but I fish lakes, small rivers and creeks and for me each requires different equipment. So in short how many I use depends on what I am fishing. Anything from UL-SUL to a 9 foot XXH for swimbaits and A-rigs.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:39 pm

I have fifteen casting combos for bass that can run the gamut from panfish to catfish, including an 8' flipping and 8' deep cranking. I've also got two casting combos dedicated to catfish and two spinning for panfish. I've got five relatively inexpensive spinning setups, three for panfish/bass and two for catfish, that I let other people use. I've also got three spare reels that sit in their boxes and five OG Tatulas idling in the garage. Plus one each of spinning and casting three piece rods for travel.

For bass, most of the time I'll take 8-12 combos wherever I'm going but usually won't use them all. And that's fine, because for one thing, you never really know what's going to work that day, and it's nice to:
A) have well matched setups for certain techniques, even though I prefer any rod I buy to be fairly versatile,
B) not have to retie all the time
C) have several setups rigged up and ready to go so you can
quickly start tossing baits and switch things up until you
find what's going to work, and can quickly repeat the
process when the bite changes

Plus, I figure loading up twelve combos isn't that much more work/space than loading up four, so I might as well be prepared.
This is the way.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:10 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:32 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
2 lights
2 medium lights
2 mediums
2 medium heavys
That looks just about perfect to me for what I want. Evenly spread out over the different rod powers. I'd maybe want one heavy for frogs but for all I know a medium heave can get that done too. I'd definitely like to get a light rod and maybe a fast medium light since I have a moderate. Oh and I'd like them to all look as nice as yours haha
It's funny you say that. I'm really anal about rod / blank powers - actual hard data. For example, my mediums are a custom Point Blank and custom NFC. Both rods have between 370 and 380 grams of power. However, one is a fast taper, and the other is extra fast. That actually makes a bigger difference than one might think, as to how the rod actually fishes.
My light powered rods are a custom NFC X Ray SJ732, and an older custom Rainshadow RX8 + - I'm 95% sure these blanks were produced by St Croix. I'll likely replace it with something else in the near future.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:36 pm

When I river fish using waders I use one rod.

But on my boat I have around 6-7 rods all paired with different baits.
It just makes life easier because I don't have to stop and retie different lures, set a rod down, pick another up and
take a cast....

As for ice fishing I take 4 rods and I have a tuned up customs with a CI4 1000 that is the bomb.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:54 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:23 pm
MountainMan 83 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:49 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
MountainMan 83 wrote:
I have a few daiwa and just got into Megabass rods with a levante (which unfortunately that line had some issues they are working on) and an old destroyer evoluzion elseil. Haven't been willing to throw down the money for one if the expensive ones. I've been happy with my daiwas for the $100-$150 price range.
Yeah I've been happy with my OG tatula, zillion, and cronos rods for sure. Just got the itch to see how the next level feels, haha.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:12 am

No more than 6 for me. Hard time picking between all the combos. lol