How many rods/reels do you actually use

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Lawaia
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: How many rods/reels do you actually use

Post by Lawaia » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:10 pm

What I use and what I have sitting is whole different story. I currently only use 5-6 rods and 5-6 reels now days.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:54 pm

Usually i have three different sets / target fish.

fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishes » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:58 pm

I find Im using less and less rods. Theres 3 I use for probably 80-90% of my fishing. One bfs setup, an 852c nrx, and an 843 glx.

RazorCat
Angler
Angler

Post by RazorCat » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:34 pm

I keep 11-12 combos in the boat most the time. Usually 9-10 baitcasters, and two spinning combos rigged for crappie.
Always rig 5-6 BC setups to start the day, and rig the others as needed if I’m trying a different technique, or find crappie that’ll bite. But, primarily I love to bass fish. The weather typically dictates how many different techniques I try in a day.
I really don’t own that many more rods than I keep the rotation. Maybe 4-5 from years ago.
Reels are another story. Probably have a dozen or more that are used, and have been cleaned and lubed, and are stored in their original boxes.

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:54 am

I do not own a boat, so it is important for me to not take many rods with me. On a given day, I like to go out with only two setups. More than that is difficult to manage, but I like to have two setups with me, in case I break something. It happened to me once that I went out with a single setup and my rod broke, I had to finish for the day and I drove quite a distance from home. Since then, I never leave without a backup.
On the other hand, I fish for multiple species and different waters, so I need a lot more than just 2 rods. Currently I have 3 spinning and two baitcaster setups which I use regularly, and also have a few rods which rarely gets used. I'm looking to add a few more though in the near future.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:22 am

For bait casting probably 25 combos. Probably an additional 10 reels with no rods

Spinning there is about 8 or so

Then we have other non bass gear like fly rods, panfish rods and Muskie tackle. Probably another dozen setups there

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:31 am

I keep a good sized stable, but usually take 8-9 out at a time. I rotate rods in and out of my lineup trying to use as many as I can off my racks. I almost always throw everything I bring with me, but will have a favorite for the day that gets picked up more often than the others. Usually the one getting bit. :lol:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:37 pm

It depends If I am brackish water fishing or not.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bigfish85
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bigfish85 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:06 pm

Good opportunity to catalog everything for my OCD brain (it's been a while), along with use:

Bass Rods (a couple occasionally target steelhead too). All are used regularly:
1) Custom Loomis GL3 MB783 & Citica 201 - small spinnerbaits, chatterbaits
2) Loomis IMX CR721 & Scorpion 71hg - river smallmouth
3) Loomis IMX CR722 & Curado 51e - river smallmouth
4) Loomis IMX MBR782 & Curado 51e - jerkbaits, topwater
5) Loomis IMX MBR782 & Curado 51e - small t-rigs
6) Loomis IMX MBR843 & Curado 201e7 - med jigs, plastics, chatterbaits (good big spoon rod for steelhead)
7) Loomis IMX MBR844 & Curado 201e7 - bifflehead, c-rig, frogs, bigger jigs & plastics
8) Loomis CBR785 & Cuardo 201e7 - squarebills
9) Loomis IMX SJR721 & ??? (sold prev reel; can't decide what to replace it with)
10) Loomis IMX SJR781 & ??? (sold prev reel; can't decide what to replace it with)

11) St. Croix Triumph travel rod 6' L spinning & Sahara 1000FI. This rod probably gets the most use because it's always in the truck and with me on work travels. Caught fish in Ohio (smb, lmb, pike, crappie), KS (lmb), SC (lmb), NY (lmb, smb, crappie), GA (lmb), TN (rock bass), KY (smb), FL (lmb & peacocks).

Steelhead rods: not a ton of use, but sometimes from Oct-Apr
12) Berkely Air IM9 10'6" steelhead rod & Symetre 2000 - primary drift/float
13) Shakespeare Synergy or something steelhead rod & Sahara 2000 - backup

Fly rod for messing around:
14) TFO Pro II fly rod 9' 7wt & Waterworks Lamson Liquid reel

Misc- light use
15) Shakespeare UL & Shimano cheapy 500 - panfishing
16) 5'6" no-name rod & reel combo recently given to me - never used
17) Galyans 6' M spinning rod & Pinnacle deadbolt reel - wife's; rarely used
18) Shakespeare spincaster combo - kiddo's, it's surprisingly ok and she catches fish on it regularly
19) Kiddo's old barbie pole - caught plenty of bluegill and one surprise catfish

I think that's it. Obviously need at least one more.