Kahen Spool In a SV103xs

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Kahen Spool In a SV103xs

Post by goldrod » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:58 pm

I wanted to know if anyone had tried this combo of spool and reel ? What do you think of the performance?
Also if you have a purple kahen spool, is it the same purple as the bumpers in the reel?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Kahen Spool In a SV103xs

Post by domthewon » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:15 pm

goldrod wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:58 pm
I wanted to know if anyone had tried this combo of spool and reel ? What do you think of the performance?
Also if you have a purple kahen spool, is it the same purple as the bumpers in the reel?
No not the same color it would be hedgehog royal purple vs. deep purple on the sv103. I haven't personally tried the combo but have various Kahen spools. I'm sure a neo would work well performance wise, but doesn't fit my needs due to spool capacity and how I wanna use my 103. I use it for heavier duty applications.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:37 pm

domthewon wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:15 pm
goldrod wrote:
No not the same color it would be hedgehog royal purple vs. deep purple on the sv103. I haven't personally tried the combo but have various Kahen spools. I'm sure a neo would work well performance wise, but doesn't fit my needs due to spool capacity and how I wanna use my 103. I use it for heavier duty applications.
Thanks for the money saving tip..
I have a couple of reels that I am trying to get together
3 are the sv103 and like you i have moved to heavier applications for them. X7 EMTF, X7 Super Rakkai and soon the X7 F7-71

I have a steez EX that has purple accents but its pissing me off because i just can't seem to do something different to it that I haven't done to any other steez platforms.. Today when the wife when to the store, i ran away with my Super destruction and Steez LTD with Kahen spool. I loved it so much that I said i'd pull the trigger on anther spool. KTF site was still out of them but I found a couple on a different site but they were marked up. However I did find some OG cork knobs for a very loooow price when converted back to USD and that was including the calculated shipping.

Anyways, that kahen spool was the bee's knees elbows and eyebrows. I really enjoyed that setup today. So much so I was thinking I could get the finesse version of that kahen spool in this lonely steez. I had hoped my adreana rod would be here by now and I would put the steez on it but its been pushed back. I made two orders today with recycled funds from the tackle trap, and they called me because I inadvertently made an error which I am glad they caught.
I went the purple route because I dont like a lot of red and I've done sky blue and all black. Purple is a pain in the neck but I did find me some purple SLP knobs as well for a good price.. Thanks again buddy. I was waiting for an answer before i went to bed and dreamed about what I need to do next...lol
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:41 pm

goldrod wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:37 pm
domthewon wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:15 pm
goldrod wrote:
Thanks for the money saving tip..
I have a couple of reels that I am trying to get together
3 are the sv103 and like you i have moved to heavier applications for them. X7 EMTF, X7 Super Rakkai and soon the X7 F7-71

I have a steez EX that has purple accents but its pissing me off because i just can't seem to do something different to it that I haven't done to any other steez platforms.. Today when the wife when to the store, i ran away with my Super destruction and Steez LTD with Kahen spool. I loved it so much that I said i'd pull the trigger on anther spool. KTF site was still out of them but I found a couple on a different site but they were marked up. However I did find some OG cork knobs for a very loooow price when converted back to USD and that was including the calculated shipping.

Anyways, that kahen spool was the bee's knees elbows and eyebrows. I really enjoyed that setup today. So much so I was thinking I could get the finesse version of that kahen spool in this lonely steez. I had hoped my adreana rod would be here by now and I would put the steez on it but its been pushed back. I made two orders today with recycled funds from the tackle trap, and they called me because I inadvertently made an error which I am glad they caught.
I went the purple route because I dont like a lot of red and I've done sky blue and all black. Purple is a pain in the neck but I did find me some purple SLP knobs as well for a good price.. Thanks again buddy. I was waiting for an answer before i went to bed and dreamed about what I need to do next...lol
No worries. Since you have the neo already you might try the finesse versatile spool.:evil22: They are really good especially for 1/4 and under. I have one in a steez sv older version and it's pretty awesome. i throw under 1/8 tw rigs all day on it at a small pond with 1/32 or 1/16 oz heads and 2" keiteich easy shiners and I love it. The only spool I've found to match the steez ex 8.1 and sv103 7.9 are the older purple 1012 sv spools. You will lose a few yards of capacity but it will match 8-) . I know what you mean about something different though. I'm sitting on a ton of royal purple parts that are rare or discontinued waiting for the right reel to come along. Digitaka sells a couple different color bumpers for the SV103 from other model zillions and if you change them out to say gunmetal from the j dream, or black from the zillion CC plus the reel nut plate you don't have to worry about matching the deep purple. You can change whatever other part to royal purple /zpi violet, or whatever color you like and it will look nice. Tackle trap sells them also but have been out of lefty for a while and I'm not sure about righty. I have the limited edition SLP metallic deep purple knobs on my sv103, and they look pretty slick on it. The search for parts is fun for me. A lot of the good stuff especially in purple is discontinued or just hard to find, and it's difficult to make a reel look unique and different than other reels i've seen here on TT. You almost gotta go custom paint at this point on older reels.
Good luck

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:39 am

Sorry, but I should have said the Steez 105 purple spool instead of the 1012 purple spool. I have the steez 105 in mine I thought they might be the same spool, but it looks like there might be differences. I am not positive since I have never tried the 1012 version though. i just called it the 1012 because of the newer steez 1016's vs1012's regular vs. shallow. I completely forgot there were 2 different purple spools. I don't want to mislead anybody with my previous response.