What’s the name of this knot?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
trevorvandam
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

What’s the name of this knot?

Post by trevorvandam » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:35 am

https://youtu.be/t-XhKBlMnZ8

Also, has anybody used it before?

Poisson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: What’s the name of this knot?

Post by Poisson » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:26 pm

trevorvandam wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:35 am
https://youtu.be/t-XhKBlMnZ8

Also, has anybody used it before?
Don't know if I've ever seen an official name for this knot, but I started using it a while back. Super fast/easy to tie with light line and the hook always stands out perfectly straight. With other knots I'd find myself adjusting or retying much more often after the hook started sticking out at a weird angle, but I might just suck at other knots... :lol:

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:38 pm

It's very close to a rope knot called the "Alpine Butterfly", one of my most favorite rope knots.

I have tried the fishing version a few times but I am getting really inconsistent results when I test the knots to breaking. Some times it feels like it takes almost no pressure to pop it at the hook. I have not spent any real time with it though, it's on my list for winter projects as I really hate the Palomar and would love an alternative.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:12 pm

Interesting indeed.

edwelch1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by edwelch1 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:23 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:38 pm
It's very close to a rope knot called the "Alpine Butterfly", one of my most favorite rope knots.

I have tried the fishing version a few times but I am getting really inconsistent results when I test the knots to breaking. Some times it feels like it takes almost no pressure to pop it at the hook. I have not spent any real time with it though, it's on my list for winter projects as I really hate the Palomar and would love an alternative.

I started drop shotting this summer and found this knot when I was looking into the technique. Definitely quicker for me to tie this up and get the lengths of leader and tail that I want than with a Palomar. With a Palomar I start with a longer length of leader material and end up trimming a bit off each end to get the length I want, whereas with this one, which I just call the drop shot knot, I can pull out a length of leader, tie it up, and not have to trim anything but the tag end on the knot to the swivel tied to my mainline.

However, I've definitely noticed there's some inconsistency in the knot strength as you've mentioned. I'd also like to know what the cause of it is, and if it's something that can be easily corrected with how I tie the knot, or if it's something that would be difficult to correct due to how the knot is tied.

My initial thought is that it's actually due to how part of the knot ends up being against where the eye of the hook is rolled to touch itself, and if the end of the wire is rough at all, it's prone to cutting the line and it seems like a weak knot strength.

Not sure much could be done about that if it is the case, as every hook that I know of has the eye formed by rolling the end of the wire back on itself, where inconsistencies in production are going to make that "gap" sharp on some hooks. And I'm not sure if this knot can really be tied so that there's not part of the knot touching that part of the hook, at least not easily.
www.blindjumperoutdoors.com

Poisson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Poisson » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:56 am

edwelch1 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:23 pm
My initial thought is that it's actually due to how part of the knot ends up being against where the eye of the hook is rolled to touch itself, and if the end of the wire is rough at all, it's prone to cutting the line and it seems like a weak knot strength.

Not sure much could be done about that if it is the case, as every hook that I know of has the eye formed by rolling the end of the wire back on itself, where inconsistencies in production are going to make that "gap" sharp on some hooks. And I'm not sure if this knot can really be tied so that there's not part of the knot touching that part of the hook, at least not easily.
When I first started using this knot I had a hard time cinching it down on the front of the eye. Now, when I cinch down I pull really lightly to about 75%, just enough that the loop in the middle closes up against the eye. Then I wet the knot and take both the main line and tag end and pull straight out from the eye to about 90%, enough that the knot is holding on the front of the eye. Then I cinch down the rest of the way. I haven't had breakage issues using a long leader of 6# or 8# Red Label.

edwelch1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by edwelch1 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:29 am

Poisson wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:56 am
When I first started using this knot I had a hard time cinching it down on the front of the eye. Now, when I cinch down I pull really lightly to about 75%, just enough that the loop in the middle closes up against the eye. Then I wet the knot and take both the main line and tag end and pull straight out from the eye to about 90%, enough that the knot is holding on the front of the eye. Then I cinch down the rest of the way. I haven't had breakage issues using a long leader of 6# or 8# Red Label.
I think I understand what you're explaining, and it seems like that would definitely make a difference. Going to have to try this out next time I tie up, thanks for the tip!
www.blindjumperoutdoors.com