Favorite EWG Flipping Hook

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
MCROUT14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Favorite EWG Flipping Hook

Post by MCROUT14 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:15 am

Switched over to the Trokar MagWorm this year and haven't had too many issues, a few cases where the hook went through and by the time I got the fish to the boat the hook just fell out. I'm guessing this is due to the larger hook point of the Trokar compared to other brands. What hooks do you guys prefer for flipping 4"-5" baits- just want to be sure I'm not missing out on anything :lol:

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Favorite EWG Flipping Hook

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:36 am

I use the 7/0 Trokar Big Nasty with the 4.5" Yum Christie Critter and other larger thick body baits like Zoom Mag lizards. I feel like a wide gap hook of the same size doesn't hook up as well as a standard offset worm hook, so I upsize when using wide gap hooks.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:56 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:36 am
I use the 7/0 Trokar Big Nasty with the 4.5" Yum Christie Critter and other larger thick body baits like Zoom Mag lizards. I feel like a wide gap hook of the same size doesn't hook up as well as a standard offset worm hook, so I upsize when using wide gap hooks.
X2 when fishing in heavy cover. Otherwise, I still use Gammy EWG's (light wire).

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:02 pm

It's not exactly EWG, but the Owner Twistlock Flipping hook is my personal favorite. I stick to 3/0-5/0 for d-bombs and keitechs.
This is the way.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:35 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:02 pm
It's not exactly EWG, but the Owner Twistlock Flipping hook is my personal favorite. I stick to 3/0-5/0 for d-bombs and keitechs.
X2 on the owner twistlock. Also my go to in recent times. Easy on with baits and it seems to always get through the trick stuff nicely. It’s streamlined nicely for lack of better words.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:22 am

The Owner Wide Gap Plus and Gamakatsu Superline hooks get my vote. Granted the cover I usually run into may not be super heavy but those hooks are sharp and stout in my experience.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:56 am

I stick with needle point style hooks when possible. The Trokar hooks are really sharp, but like you noticed, you better keep a bend in you rod at all times or they just fall out because the knife like point on the hook slices a big open hole. May as well not even have a barb on the hook in most cases.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:55 am

The hayabusa hooks are good
I’ve started using the brand and really have not thought much about gammy’s or any other EWG.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:30 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:55 am
The hayabusa hooks are good
I’ve started using the brand and really have not thought much about gammy’s or any other EWG.
I just bought some killer looking 3/32oz football jigheads by Hayabusa yesterday. Can't wait to slap a 3" easy shiner on one and see how long it takes to get smacked. Might go do that right now as a matter of fact.
This is the way.