Tackle box for air travel

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Tackle box for air travel

Post by Texas_bullet » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:37 am

I need a tackle box that holds enough gear for a four day fishing trip. It must have a fighting chance to survive riding in the hold of an aircraft as checked luggage. Any recommendations? Please, no horror stories. Thanks,
Bill in Dallas

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Tackle box for air travel

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:28 am

I usually pack my travel rods, reels, lure boxes, and all accessories in a large hardcase trolley and bring separate backpack/packs for day-trips.

I have Meiho Versus Bucket Mouth 9000, which is a very solid tackle box with room for plenty of tackle.
https://www.versusmeiho.com.au/products ... cket-mouth
- not sure that it will take airport abuse :-)

I have the Flambeau Bazooka rod tube. I have not used it on air travel, but it has served me well during car travel (I attach it to the car roof).

What sort of fishing trip awaits you?

Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Texas_bullet » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:57 pm

Thanks for the ideas. Maybe a large Halliburton case could hold my 3700 boxes. My reels travel in my checked suitcase. My rods are riding in a friend's large PVC tube. We are going to Lake Pechaco, MX for largemouth bass. I transfer the 3700 boxes into my large fishing backpack for outings. Some of my rods will be supplied by the lodge, so I don't have to take them all on the plane.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:07 pm

Keep your reels in your carry on. Do not put it in checked luggage as it is not secure and can easily be stolen... especially in customs.

For baits, just get a hard case luggage and put the 3700 boxes in there.

Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Texas_bullet » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:34 am

Thanks, Tokugawa. Sounds like a plan. Last trip I put the reels in my checked bag. Risky move.
Bill

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:25 am

I have taken my reels plus line in my hand luggage a couple of times without issues. However, I have heard of some fishermen who were not allowed to bring the line onboard...
https://pikecaster.com/how-to-travel-on ... hing-gear/

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:54 am

I just got back fro El Salto and took my own gear. I had a Plano wheeled rod tube. Pete Robbins, from Bassmaster magazine, wrote a great article on traveling with rods and I followed his advice. I also took a Tackle Warehouse back pack. 2 3700 size boxes and tons of storage for soft plastics, etc. Perfect for travel. I put it in my checked luggage. I had my reels in tackle warehouse covers. Also, I used a label maker to put the type of reel (top water, crank, etc) so it was easy to pair them back up when I got home. I hope this helps.

Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Texas_bullet » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:11 pm

Thanks for all the fine ideas. What I actually did was put any hooked lures and terminal tackle in three 3700 boxes. My reels and the 3700's and tools went into my checked luggage with a TSA Approved lock. All my plastics (considerable amount) and a large amount of prescription meds went into a large BPS fishing backpack. The backpack fit into the overhead. My rods rode in a large rod tube generously provided by the tour organizer. Once at the lodge the 3700's moved to the backpack and the reels were reunited with the rods. The reel covers were marked to make the job quicker. Thanks again!
PS Mazatlan security are very good at finding stray hooks. Don't ask how I know this. LOL