Single hook VS Treble hook

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Single hook VS Treble hook

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:25 pm

I know some baits are balanced with the treble hooks they come with with suspending and action.

What I'm wondering is how a single compares to a treble "hook up ratio"

I switched a bunch of luckycraft 65 pointers this evening to single hooks to try out...

Cali
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Single hook VS Treble hook

Post by Cali » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:07 pm

I actually prefer them. It is quite the pain to unhook both trebles when they are Owners imo. Trebles are better in that they stay hooked up, where as with just one hook it is easier to get off. Are the singles barbless?

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:38 pm

Nihility wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:07 pm
I actually prefer them. It is quite the pain to unhook both trebles when they are Owners imo. Trebles are better in that they stay hooked up, where as with just one hook it is easier to get off. Are the singles barbless?
No, they are not barbless.

I used them today but didn't catch anything... :oops:

fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishes » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:20 pm

I used to fish a lake that only allowed single, barbless hooks. I never had really any issues on crank baits and jerk baits with hookup/land ratio. Ive actually been considering switching all of my cranks to single hooks just because it would be easier to unhook fish and the possible loss of a few fish as a trade off is worth it to me

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:11 pm

Nihility wrote:
Trebles are better in that they stay hooked up, where as with just one hook it is easier to get off.
In my experience it's the opposite: maybe a very slight decrease in hookup % depending on the bait, but almost 100% landing ratio once I get a single hook in them.

Most of the 90 - 120 sized jerkbaits will take a #1 Owner Single, and that's not a small hook compared to similar weight trebles.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:24 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:25 pm
I know some baits are balanced with the treble hooks they come with with suspending and action.

What I'm wondering is how a single compares to a treble "hook up ratio"

I switched a bunch of luckycraft 65 pointers this evening to single hooks to try out...
Which singles did you use for the pointer 65s? I think I hang #2 Owners on them...the smaller the bait the fewer hookup issues you'll have with singles imo.

Certain baits like pointer 100s are more of a challenge. I prefer 3 hook eyes on jerkbaits over 90mm.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:50 pm

I think mine are also size #2 that I'm using.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:04 am

I can't recall a "skin hooked" fish on singles...they punch through and hold.

Cali
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cali » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:48 am

reason162 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:11 pm
Nihility wrote:
Trebles are better in that they stay hooked up, where as with just one hook it is easier to get off.
In my experience it's the opposite: maybe a very slight decrease in hookup % depending on the bait, but almost 100% landing ratio once I get a single hook in them.
I just meant compared to Owner trebles. All it takes is one owner treble and it would take the might of Thor to get unhooked. That's why I actually prefer singles. While the fish is fighting it will get the other treble stuck and goodness what a pain. With the single hook it's just one barb to swing off and they're free for unhooking. If they are barbed, you shouldn't have many issues. Curious to know if singles get snagged less in your experience, and whether they are easier to get free.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:11 pm

Nihility wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:48 am
I just meant compared to Owner trebles. All it takes is one owner treble and it would take the might of Thor to get unhooked. That's why I actually prefer singles. While the fish is fighting it will get the other treble stuck and goodness what a pain. With the single hook it's just one barb to swing off and they're free for unhooking. If they are barbed, you shouldn't have many issues. Curious to know if singles get snagged less in your experience, and whether they are easier to get free.
Gotcha, the Owners certainly are sticky.

Mostly fishing a jerkbait so no snags, shad raps and flat sided cranks def come through wood easier. On Traps it's almost too easy to rip grass, might not be as reactive as having a belly treble.

I've not experienced it but a friend who went all singles did end up putting belly trebles back on squarebills and cranks with wide fat bodies due to poorer hookup ratio. He'll leave the single hook in the tail and that actually mitigates a lot of the damage from that tail treble finding its way into eyeballs/gills etc.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:51 am

I've been wanting to make the switch myself. Never been sure which sizes to get though because I don't want to ruin the action of the bait. I see size 1 for baits like the 110 and size 2 for smaller baits? If anyone could confirm that would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:19 am

i_am_R2 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:51 am
I've been wanting to make the switch myself. Never been sure which sizes to get though because I don't want to ruin the action of the bait. I see size 1 for baits like the 110 and size 2 for smaller baits? If anyone could confirm that would be awesome. Thanks in advance!
Same here. Looking forward to TT's response.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:59 am

i_am_R2 wrote:
The 110 and 110+1 - #1 Owner Singles, #3 Owner Hyperwire split rings will give you close to perfect suspend. 1 out of 5 you'll need to add a tiny bit of weight. Other brands can vary a lot in terms of buoyancy...LC pointers are all over the place in my experience.

But notice the little clips I hang off the split rings:

These are lure making figure 8 links. I get them here, I believe it's the smallest size available: https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/plug-parts/310311.aspx

I prefer using these to the stick-on lead tapes; less messy, more modular, and imo adds a bit of flash that can't hurt.

I spend my winter tank testing and balancing my JBs...adding clips as needed, trimming some clips shorter etc. A good way to pass the time for an OCD angler :)

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:00 pm

reason162 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:59 am
i_am_R2 wrote:
The 110 and 110+1 - #1 Owner Singles, #3 Owner Hyperwire split rings will give you close to perfect suspend. 1 out of 5 you'll need to add a tiny bit of weight. Other brands can vary a lot in terms of buoyancy...LC pointers are all over the place in my experience.

But notice the little clips I hang off the split rings:

These are lure making figure 8 links. I get them here, I believe it's the smallest size available: https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/plug-parts/310311.aspx

I prefer using these to the stick-on lead tapes; less messy, more modular, and imo adds a bit of flash that can't hurt.

I spend my winter tank testing and balancing my JBs...adding clips as needed, trimming some clips shorter etc. A good way to pass the time for an OCD angler :)
Thanks for the info! This definitely points me in the right direction and the tip about adding the little clips is a great trick too =) Thanks again, time now to do a little shopping :lol:

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:08 am

There has been a lot of talk locally about this subject. Most of the guys that have tried them around here used them because of the amount of dead floating grass in the summer, assuming they would be more weedless. They learned that is not the case and went back to trebles. I decided to try them just to test out the difference in hookups, and after a month of use on jerkbaits and topwaters, they had to go. Missed a lot of fish that would normally be caught and left me scratching my head several times as I watched fish crush a jerkbait and not hookup. I think it had a lot to do with my style of fishing, which is very fast, and fish reacting to a bait and not necessarily feeding. If they are eating it like in the pics(great pics by the way) no doubt they would work for you. I think each person needs to try them for themselves and see if they work out for their individual style of fishing. Buy a pack, try them on a confidence bait, and go from there.