Single hook VS Treble hook

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Single hook VS Treble hook

Post by reason162 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:33 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:08 am
I think each person needs to try them for themselves and see if they work out for their individual style of fishing. Buy a pack, try them on a confidence bait, and go from there.
This is great advice...I'm only fishing a JB when the JB bite is on, which is a pretty short window here in the NE at least in the lakes I fish. When they eat it they eat it, when they don't...I'm throwing something else. If fish are gently swiping at the bait it stands to reason that 3 hook points is better than 1, esp 1 that is hanging in line with the body of the bait.

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NormanD » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:39 am

I have switched to using singles on almost everything. I always weigh the stock hook and replace it with an appropriate sized (weight) single. In fairness, I don't use jerkbaits very often if ever.
I do think singles do better than trebles in grass, but that doesn't mean you aren't going to pick up some grass.
I do think trebles hook more fish, but singles land more fish.
I do think singles cause way less damage to the fish, especially some saltwater species.
And finally, since I fish out of a kayak, the singles do add a level of safety when trying to unhook the fish.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:27 am

I went to single hooks on some baits over two years ago, here's some real life observations.

I fish lipless cranks a lot ... singles can be significantly more weedless in many situations, but not completely weedless. When they're aggressive and really choking down the baits, you're gonna hook up and boat them the majority of the time. Hook choice is important, but so is rod choice when fishing reaction/moving baits. When they're tentative and just swatting at the bait, sticky trebles win out every time. There's a time and place for both.

When they're aggressive, here's where they shine. This would have been a disaster with trebles, piece of cake getting this one unbuttoned and released unharmed.

They are equally as effective on smaller baits as well. This is a 3/16 oz blade bait with size 8 barbless singles.