Suggest a hook whose tip won’t curl

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Suggest a hook whose tip won’t curl

Post by goldrod » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:56 am

I don’t know how you feel about it but although I will still use it I can’t stand hooks whose tips curl. That little bur or curl just drives me bananas and that’s why I slowed down on the tokurl hooks. Hayabusa seems way better to me but if you have something better I’m all ears
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Suggest a hook whose tip won’t curl

Post by Tim Kelly » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:29 pm

Any pattern with a slightly in turned point will be better protected, so less prone to getting the tip bent, but if you're snagging in rocks or timber it's going to happen. Carry hook file and you can touch them up and straighten the point in a couple of strokes.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:55 pm

Tim Kelly wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:29 pm
Carry hook file and you can touch them up and straighten the point in a couple of strokes.
What he said.

Can you duplicate the factory stickiness of a top quality chemically sharpened hook ? No. Can you make a beat up hook plenty sharp enough to stick many fish and keep the bite going vs replacing hooks onboard during a hot bite ? You bet. Get yourself an EZE-LAP diamond hook hone for under $10. It's the size of a pen and does a great job. A good test to determine the stickiness of a hook point is to drag it across your thumbnail ... if it skids across the nail surface under moderate tension the hook is dull. If it immediately digs into the nail surface you're there. The EZE-LAP can do that.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:47 pm

uljersey wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:55 pm
Tim Kelly wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:29 pm
Carry hook file and you can touch them up and straighten the point in a couple of strokes.
What he said.

Can you duplicate the factory stickiness of a top quality chemically sharpened hook ? No. Can you make a beat up hook plenty sharp enough to stick many fish and keep the bite going vs replacing hooks onboard during a hot bite ? You bet. Get yourself an EZE-LAP diamond hook hone for under $10. It's the size of a pen and does a great job. A good test to determine the stickiness of a hook point is to drag it across your thumbnail ... if it skids across the nail surface under moderate tension the hook is dull. If it immediately digs into the nail surface you're there. The EZE-LAP can do that.
Sold!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:10 pm

Done deal
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

casterus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by casterus » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:17 am

X2 eze lap. It works great
adam.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:01 am