2019 Best Buy

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 2019 Best Buy

Post by njbasscat » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:03 am

My best buy of 2019 was a Steez CT SV. I liked it so much, I bought another and am getting ready to add a 3rd.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:37 am

My best buy 2019 was my BFS Combo: Teton SUL rod, Alphas ct sv & K.T.F. spool & Roro spool from Ali.

Best buy item of these couldn't be Alphas ct sv because it was 'expensive' because I bought it at full price and it was needed to purchase aftermarket spool(s) for BFS. Best buy item of these certainly can't be K.T.F. spool because including all it was ridiculously expensive. Best buy item of these couldn't be Roro spool neither, because it was expensive as spool from Ali. And because of that best buy item of these in 2019 is Teton SUL, because it was cheap and it plays very important role in BFS fishing.

But after all I'm really satisfied for that I have enjoyable BFS setup, with Daiwa reel, and I could make same decisions again. BFS stream fishing just is so relaxing, enjoyable, easy and fun.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:16 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:37 am
My best buy 2019 was my BFS Combo: Teton SUL rod, Alphas ct sv & K.T.F. spool & Roro spool from Ali.

Best buy item of these couldn't be Alphas ct sv because it was 'expensive' because I bought it at full price and it was needed to purchase aftermarket spool(s) for BFS. Best buy item of these certainly can't be K.T.F. spool because including all it was ridiculously expensive. Best buy item of these couldn't be Roro spool neither, because it was expensive as spool from Ali. And because of that best buy item of these in 2019 is Teton SUL, because it was cheap and it plays very important role in BFS fishing.

But after all I'm really satisfied for that I have enjoyable BFS setup, with Daiwa reel, and I could make same decisions again. BFS stream fishing just is so relaxing, enjoyable, easy and fun.

If you haven’t already would you please post pictures
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:35 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:16 pm
Sure :)
Teton SUL with Alphas ct sv .jpg
Alphas is in this picture spooled 'half', with original spool.
Teton SUL with Alphas ct sv .jpg (42.19 KiB) Viewed 5272 times
KTF spool weighting.JPG
K.T.F. Spool scaled without line
KTF spool weighting.JPG (36.46 KiB) Viewed 5272 times
KTF with full of 0.12 mm Spiderwire Stelth Smooth8.JPG
K.T.F. Spool scaled with line
KTF with full of 0.12 mm Spiderwire Stelth Smooth8.JPG (52.83 KiB) Viewed 5272 times
Roro spool weighting.JPG
Roro Spool scaled without line
Roro spool weighting.JPG (55.9 KiB) Viewed 5272 times
Roro spool full of 0.12 mm Spiderwire Stelth Smooth8.JPG
Roro Spool scaled with line
Roro spool full of 0.12 mm Spiderwire Stelth Smooth8.JPG (40.09 KiB) Viewed 5272 times

K.T.F. I use for stream fishing for trout, usually with ~3 g crankbaits or spinners. My line is way over strong for BFS, but I haven't seen any cons of it. But I have not lost lures and thick braid is always easier to solve than thin one.

Roro spool is for bottom jigging. Line is changed to 0.06 mm Spiderwire.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:26 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:35 pm
goldrod wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:16 pm
Sure :)

Teton SUL with Alphas ct sv .jpg

KTF spool weighting.JPG

KTF with full of 0.12 mm Spiderwire Stelth Smooth8.JPG

Roro spool weighting.JPG

Roro spool full of 0.12 mm Spiderwire Stelth Smooth8.JPG

K.T.F. I use for stream fishing for trout, usually with ~3 g crankbaits or spinners. My line is way over strong for BFS, but I haven't seen any cons of it. But I have not lost lures and thick braid is always easier to solve than thin one.

Roro spool is for bottom jigging. Line is changed to 0.06 mm Spiderwire.

Thank You very much
That is a very awesome setup
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:55 am

goldrod wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:26 pm
Thank You very much
That is a very awesome setup
Thank you!

Yes, I love this setup.

Sure Steez ct would be much lighter and more compact and more refined, but ct Alphas was reel for me. It's cranking smoothly and has strong brass gears and I don't hesitate to take it to sea for light seatrout fishing (Original spool seems perfect for this kind of fishing). Currently there is Hedgehog's BFS bearings, those should be changed to more salt resistant.

K.T.F. Spool was nice purchasement, because in my eyes it makes my setup to high grade BFS setup. And casting with it is a joy.

Teton SUL is not better than 4x more expensive Shimano rod, but Teton rod's are very good for that price tag. Laterly I have purchased also Teton UL and my friend has Teton L. All those are good for that price tag but SUL is only one good in a bushes.

BFS in bushes.JPG
Bush stream
BFS in bushes.JPG (84.65 KiB) Viewed 5248 times

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:08 pm

My best buy was the G Loomis/Shimano IMX-Pro and bantam MGL combo I bought for $382 from American Legacy.
Both incredible.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:15 pm

montey wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:08 pm
My best buy was the G Loomis/Shimano IMX-Pro and bantam MGL combo I bought for $382 from American Legacy.
Both incredible.
That was a killer deal they had.