Prescription Sunglasses?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Prescription Sunglasses?

Post by ultralight » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:39 pm

I've always felt a bit of 'envy' that the best fishing sunglasses are made for those with good eyesight and need no correction.

For those of you who need prescription glasses (no contacts), what have you found to be the best prescription Sunglasses? I got a pair of polarized Costco prescription sunglasses and they leave a lot to be desires. Sometimes, the cheap Fitovers that I can find for $20 at drugstores are even better than the Costco ones. I'd love to hear suggestions.

Thanks.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Prescription Sunglasses?

Post by Craigthor » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:06 pm

Huge fan of Oakleys with their Prizm lenses in your choice. I love the shallow water lenses for all my small stream trout adventures. They make a deep water lens as well as well that I have not tried as I only trout fish. Order them through my optometrist I use the Oakley Flak II frames. In essence I could swap lenses out as needed with these though I prefer not to. Getting ready to order a second pair for driving at work.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:56 pm

Thanks Craigthor. Great to 'see' you. Have not bee on this site for a while. I'll check out the Oakleys - expect them to be pricey compared to Costco....:)

edwelch1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by edwelch1 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:41 pm

Craigthor wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:06 pm
Huge fan of Oakleys with their Prizm lenses in your choice. I love the shallow water lenses for all my small stream trout adventures. They make a deep water lens as well as well that I have not tried as I only trout fish. Order them through my optometrist I use the Oakley Flak II frames. In essence I could swap lenses out as needed with these though I prefer not to. Getting ready to order a second pair for driving at work.
No comments on the prescription side of things, but the Deep Water Prizm lens is also pretty sweet even for shallow water. I know it's supposed to be specifically tuned for deep water/ocean fishing, but they still work great anywhere and really make fluorescent colors pop like crazy.

Another point, apart from the Prizm tuning potentially being slightly different and the blue vs green mirror finish, the Deep Water is a gray base lens, whereas the Shallow Water is an amber/bronze base lens, if you have a preference of one vs. the other. Personally I prefer gray based lenses, so I went with the Deep Water when I had them, even though I only fish shallow inland waters. Regardless they'e both probably great if the Shallow is as nice as I thought the Deep was.
www.blindjumperoutdoors.com

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:52 pm

I have costa and wiley x prescription glasses I like both. I prefer the wileys as I like having the foam inserts that block the side light but I think the costas work better. I get a new pair every two years as thats what my insurance allows. I dont need prescription lenss but asked my eye doctor to make me better than 20/20 and he has done the best he can.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:18 am

toporanger wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:52 pm
I have costa and wiley x prescription glasses I like both. I prefer the wileys as I like having the foam inserts that block the side light but I think the costas work better. I get a new pair every two years as thats what my insurance allows. I dont need prescription lenss but asked my eye doctor to make me better than 20/20 and he has done the best he can.
I was thinking about Wileys based upon previous experience with the non-prescrips.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:51 am

I have Costa 580G with progressive lenses. I went through my eye doctor and it took about 3 weeks to receive from Costa after the order was put in. They are fantastic but very expensive.

SCBASSIN
Angler
Angler

Post by SCBASSIN » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:37 pm

I buy the fit overs from Cocoons & have my eye doctor put my prescription lenses in them. Works well for me.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:40 pm

ultralight wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:39 pm
I've always felt a bit of 'envy' that the best fishing sunglasses are made for those with good eyesight and need no correction.
Costa and Maui Jim both do Rx...I think either would serve you well.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:03 pm

toporanger wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:52 pm
Greetings Toporanger.

May I ask what you mean? You say you prefer the Wiley but think the Costas work better. Do you mean that the Costas lenses penetrate the water surface glare better?

The reason I asked about specific brands is that not all polarized glasses work equally well for fishing. There are tints that give better depth perception etc. SO I am hoping to find an uber performing lenses...:) So far, using cheaper items I find that the bronze type tint seem to work better for me in depth perception and also cut through fog better. That matters as I do have a lot of fog where I live.

Also, dollar to performance ratio does matter though I'm not adverse to paying a bit more for better performance.

Thanks again for all who replied. Love to hear more if any have additional thoughts.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:06 pm

njbasscat wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:51 am
I have Costa 580G with progressive lenses. I went through my eye doctor and it took about 3 weeks to receive from Costa after the order was put in. They are fantastic but very expensive.
May I ask what you paid for progressives? And do you get the option of different tints?

Thanks.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:24 pm

ultralight wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:06 pm
njbasscat wrote:
May I ask what you paid for progressives? And do you get the option of different tints?

Thanks.
Mine aren’t progressive lenses but I try to source my Oakleys during the winter sale my Eye Doctor has. Total cost is about $387 after discounts.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:41 am

ultralight wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:06 pm
njbasscat wrote:

Thanks.
$800.00. You can pick whatever tint you want. I chose green mirror as I have used the same non prescription lens for years and love them for freshwater sight fishing. Silver mirror works well too, especially in overcast. Blue mirror is great for saltwater ocean fishing.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:10 pm

Thanks. I do sight fishing on freshwater and want to cut through lakes and streams too.

Does the green mirror actually give a GREEN TINT as you look out, or does it actually have a different tint looking through it?

Thanks.

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:03 pm

I have used the wiley x and the costas back to back in the same conditions and I believe that the glass costas work better than the plastic wiley X glasses. When I say they work better, on a sunny day I could switch glasses and MORE of a grassline was visible with the Costas. Maybe it came down to the mirror green lenses on the costas vs the amber on the wiley, Im not sure but I felt like the glass was just more clear.

The costa glass lenses are heavier than plastic lenses so if thats an issue choose accordingly.

Both costa and wiley x were very similar in price after insurance was taken into effect.