Coronavirus "Covid-19"

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Coronavirus "Covid-19"

Post by Drakestar » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:10 pm

Thunderblack1984 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:06 am
Dalleninf, I appreciate your response and have been able to filter out a lot of the noise so far :) I think the CDC and Anthony Fauci are a huge part of the problem honestly. I think they will be the ones to benefit from this whole " pandemic". We don't do this for the flu which killed 10 times the coronavirus (80,000) people last yr. The vaccines that will be untested and pushed out in short order will be scary as well. I feel Trump is doing a great job and does not get the credit he deserves. I do hope our hospitals stay clear as well and after all the false reporting I've seen the past few week I think they are blaming everything on Corona deaths to up the numbers. This is media fed. Fauci is a buddy of Bill Gates who believes in world population control. There is no way I trust any medical advice or vaccine Bill is trying to fund. I am not saying the virus does not exist but the numbers do not merit what the media is feeding. Just my 2 cents. I appreciate your response and hope you stay healthy!
On average, the flu and pneumonia kill 153 people per day in the US - combined. COVID-19 killed 1331 people in the US yesterday. (The actual total number of flu-attributed deaths in the US was around 55k last year, btw.) This is WITH social distancing measures already in place. If we were to continue on that trajectory (and we would exceed it without social distancing)... well, you can do the math, just imagine a 6 month span * 1300 deaths / day = 234,000 deaths.

The flu happens every year and we have ways to protect the vulnerable members of the population. There is no way to protect against SARS-CoV2.

The flu happens every year and yet it doesn't overload our hospital capacity. COVID-19 has the potential, as has already been demonstrated in multiple unfortinate case studies around the world. When hospitals are maxed out, all other illnesses that we can usually treat become more serious. If COVID-19 did overflow a local hospital, getting into a car accident (or just cutting yourself badly with a knife) becomes a serious issue because you can't easily go to the emergency room anymore. And the number of non-COVID19 deaths goes up, as well.

Demonizing public officials who believe in the science behind this outbreak (and are very much in line with the rest of the scientific community around the world) is not going to help us make good decisions.

Edit: We had 1939 deaths from COVID19 in the US today (April 7).
Last edited by Drakestar on Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:05 pm

A few years ago I had the flu and I thought I was gonna die, so if this new virus feels worse "which I heard it does" I personlly
don't want anything to do with it.

I've been following this since the outbreak in China, I new this was gonna happen around the world, its almost impossible
not to with all the international traveling that happens daily.

From what I have read is we can slow it down but things will never be back to normal until there is a vaccine.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:39 pm

Don't worry about if you don't feel good, and get over it. But if you survive it's effects and have permanent scarring of the lungs... Yeh nah don't want anything do do with it at all either.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:39 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:51 pm
Thunderblack1984.
To be honest, I do not care anything about your 2 cents. Just as you should not care about my 2 cents with regards to many issues that I know very little about. You should care about my 2 cents on COVID and you should listen to CDC and A. Fauci. Saying that they are part of the problem......honestly, I am doing my very best to stay civil...
I do not find that Trump is doing a great job. I very much agree with this opinion in Washington Post:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... dent-ever/

However, I find some comfort that:
1) Trump has a lot of intelligent people around him including the CDC and A. Fauci.
2) Trump does not decide what happens in each state in the US.
Trump does not equal USA and I am very happy about that. The US provides the world with some of the greatest minds, doctors, institutions, and advances etc. For that, I am indebted to you and your Nation. I do not consider Trump part of your greatest minds,

Now, when it comes to the flu, did you take the time and look at the references I gave you? To handle the flu, we (usually) have a vaccine and some treatments- albeit not great treatment. To handle COVID, we have to focus on interventions on a population level (Bill Gates’ “world population control”) and hope that everybody, including you, at least to some extent have some understanding that this is in no way “blown way way way out of wack”.

I quote Fergusons paper that I referenced above:
“... deaths in GB and 2.2 million in the US, not accounting for the potential negative effects of health systems being overwhelmed on mortality.”... This is not the flu. The need for ICU beds would be staggering in a “do nothing scenario”. There goes your empty tents.
My point will be statement of fact, not political opinion, with reference to support my point:

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-tal ... ething-the

The date of the article was Jan 26, 2020
I don’t know if you’re familiar with “The Hill” magazine in Denmark. It’s not known for it’s political support for President Trump.

Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), said Sunday the American public shouldn’t worry about the coronavirus outbreak in China.

“It’s a very, very low risk to the United States,” Fauci said during an interview with radio show host John Catsimatidis.

“But it’s something that we as public health officials need to take very seriously... It isn’t something the American public needs to worry about or be frightened about. Because we have ways of preparing and screening of people coming in [from China]. And we have ways of responding - like we did with this one case in Seattle, Washington, who had traveled to China and brought back the infection.”

That doesn’t sound like someone who had a grasp of the scope of the problem. Those statements were NOT taken out of context. Fauci may have been the greatest thing since sliced bread but all generals have an Achille’s Heel, they are all fighting the last war. You don’t have to like President Trump but he seems to have taken all the correct advice.
Accuracy is important.
Good day.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:11 am

Johnny, I am sorry if I my words with regard to Trump offended you. I should have chosen my words more wisely. I will say though, that my thoughts about the man are not related to political opinion. You have two great political parties, both of which have given you great presidents throughout the years.

With regard to Fauci and his comments in January (26th).
At that point in time, he may not yet have had a clear picture / grasp of the full scope of the problem.
In late January, WHO deemed COVID19 a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC). The five previous PHEIC had little or no impact on lives in the US...

But take a step back. IF Fauci grasped the full scope of the problem, were his words in January well chosen? I think they were.
Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), said Sunday the American public shouldn’t worry about the coronavirus outbreak in China.
“It’s a very, very low risk to the United States,” Fauci said during an interview with radio show host John Catsimatidis.

He was right about not worrying... his words are more less (IMO) typical textbook handling of a very early outbreak with potential for a pandemic.
IF Fauci in late January had said that everybody should worry, and that the US was at very high risk, he could have caused more harm than good.

On the other hand he said, which was and still is very true:
But it’s something that we as public health officials need to take very seriously... It isn’t something the American public needs to worry about or be frightened about.”
- I think he did take it seriously and US public health officials did as well.

Btw Faucis statements in January were similar to statements heard from public health officials in all western countries. And I have not said that Fauci is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I said and will still say, that you should listen to Fauci and the CDC instead of some random dude on Fox news. If Fauci is a problem then just listen to the CDC.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:55 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:11 am
Johnny, I am sorry if I my words with regard to Trump offended you. I should have chosen my words more wisely. I will say though, that my thoughts about the man are not related to political opinion. You have two great political parties, both of which have given you great presidents throughout the years.

With regard to Fauci and his comments in January (26th).
At that point in time, he may not yet have had a clear picture / grasp of the full scope of the problem.
In late January, WHO deemed COVID19 a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC). The five previous PHEIC had little or no impact on lives in the US...

But take a step back. IF Fauci grasped the full scope of the problem, were his words in January well chosen? I think they were.

He was right about not worrying... his words are more less (IMO) typical textbook handling of a very early outbreak with potential for a pandemic.
IF Fauci in late January had said that everybody should worry, and that the US was at very high risk, he could have caused more harm than good.

On the other hand he said, which was and still is very true:
But it’s something that we as public health officials need to take very seriously... It isn’t something the American public needs to worry about or be frightened about.”
- I think he did take it seriously and US public health officials did as well.

Btw Faucis statements in January were similar to statements heard from public health officials in all western countries. And I have not said that Fauci is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I said and will still say, that you should listen to Fauci and the CDC instead of some random dude on Fox news. If Fauci is a problem then just listen to the CDC.
I’m not offended in the least. My only agenda is people getting all sides of a discussion, all facts without media lies.
Good luck to you.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:01 am

Dallienf:

Thanks for breathing some facts into this thread and please know that not all of us Americans are disappointed that Corvid has at least briefly shut down the Trump rallies.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:50 am

Dallienf, thank you for posting. The ignorance of trump and his vocal base is stunning and dangerous. Most Americans and (especially educated Americans) can't stand trump. Don't let a few big mouths deter you from sharing the truth.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:23 am

I was under the impression this was site was to be a politics free zone. Has there been a shift in posting policy?
Thanks

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:28 am

And we are off. Was waiting for the political slant to start. Please no politics on this site guys [-X Easy enough to keep it on topic. If you want to trash Trump, Fauci, Obama, whoever go get on FB and rant away. No one cares about your political affiliation on here.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:01 am

Let's all just keep being smart. Someone else posted that we should act as though we had the virus, and want to be sure we don't spread it to others. I think that's a great approach. Personally, I don't want anyone else to become infected, let alone die, because I was too selfish to think of them, too.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:42 am

Yeah, Politics and freetime fishing should not be mixed.

Despite of fact that same people has done amazing fishing movie:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peculiari ... al_Fishing
And also movie of politcs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peculiari ... l_Politics

But Covid must be taken seriously even in freetime fishing. Currently in Finland Uusimaa is isolated and people are prohibitated for traveling.
https://www.google.fi/maps/place/Uusima ... d25.271621
And I think it's correct way to do to slow down Covid epidemic spreading. In that way we probably have enough beds in hospitals.

I'm a little scared of everything of Covid. I don't want it and I don't want my lungs damaged for it. And I'm worried for older people. Currently we have our jobs, but all my colleagues are working from home. But in near future is looking not so bright.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:52 pm

Again, sorry about the Trump rant. Will keep politics / persons out of this. COVID is bigger than any person anyway...

Mark, I agree.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:29 pm

Yeah..Let's keep the politics out of it. Go to Politico or Breitbart and express yourself. (although I must say this is a more cognisant conversation than thier comment section) I already think lessor of people now and I only wanted that to be based on their bad opinion pertaining to tackle. I even had a bad thought and wanted Polkfish's Drank Crazy Gargoyle to snap on the next cast. I never should have had that thought. :lol:

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:40 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:29 pm
Yeah..Let's keep the politics out of it. Go to Politico or Breitbart and express yourself. (although I must say this is a more cognisant conversation than thier comment section) I already think lessor of people now and I only wanted that to be based on their bad opinion pertaining to tackle. I even had a bad thought and wanted Polkfish's Drank Crazy Gargoyle to snap on the next cast. I never should have had that thought. :lol:
Ha! My bad for bringing it up. I suppose my blood got a little boiled this morning when I read some people might not be thinking it’s serious. A family member is a nurse and she has it and she’s in a bad way. This is not the flu. No worries Aqua! 😀 As a fisherman with my political leanings in Polk Co, FL, believe me, my fishing buddies supply a relentless ribbing. It’s usually all in good fun on the water and ends as soon as the fish start biting.