Decoy egg snaps questions???

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Welikan
Angler
Angler

Decoy egg snaps questions???

Post by Welikan » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:34 am

So I've been using these egg snaps for about 2 months now. The smaller sized ones like the size 1 and 1.5 seem a little flimsy. Good at first but putting lures on is a pain. Taking them off is more of a pain. I found myself having to slightly bend them to take lures off. Anyways catching some fish on my 110 I noticed that the snap came undone and was bent. Worries me that they can come undone and I can lose some expensive baits. The bigger sized snaps for bigbaits seem like they don't have this problem.

Anyone else notice this?
Have any tips for putting lures on and taking them off using these snaps?

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Decoy egg snaps questions???

Post by Houndfish » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:06 am

I use them a lot, the smaller 1 and 1.5 for spoons and UL hardbaits and the 3 and 4 sizes for frogs and smaller glidebaits. The trick I have found with the smaller ones is that you have to pick and choose which lures you use them on, some lures will have a line tie that isn't suitable for them for the reasons you mentioned. The only advice I can give is to buy a pack of each size and keep trying them to see which size is best for which lure.

Dispet being fussy, they are the only snaps I have found that I can stand. They don't seem to pick up debris more then just a direct tie and using them on frogs has been amazing so far, I can walk any frog on any rod from any angle with the snaps and they come through cover just as well as the bare frog. I have yet to have one fail or open up, but I am very very careful about stressing them when adding or removing a lure.

Welikan
Angler
Angler

Post by Welikan » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:16 am

Houndfish wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:06 am
I use them a lot, the smaller 1 and 1.5 for spoons and UL hardbaits and the 3 and 4 sizes for frogs and smaller glidebaits. The trick I have found with the smaller ones is that you have to pick and choose which lures you use them on, some lures will have a line tie that isn't suitable for them for the reasons you mentioned. The only advice I can give is to buy a pack of each size and keep trying them to see which size is best for which lure.

Dispet being fussy, they are the only snaps I have found that I can stand. They don't seem to pick up debris more then just a direct tie and using them on frogs has been amazing so far, I can walk any frog on any rod from any angle with the snaps and they come through cover just as well as the bare frog. I have yet to have one fail or open up, but I am very very careful about stressing them when adding or removing a lure.
Thanks. These snaps seem like a good idea but they need a better way for putting lure on and taking off imo.

I never used a snap for a frog. I'm too paranoid it might bend or break off.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:59 pm

Welikan wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:16 am
I never used a snap for a frog. I'm too paranoid it might bend or break off.
Frogging with a snap (and with a 6'4" rod!) is a lonely road to walk but so far I am really liking it. The #3 snaps are rated to 70lbs and in my yard testing they hold up to a straight pull as well as 40lb braid and out preform the braid when I pop/yank the line to try and brake it.

Sadly my state banned C&R fishing the very week I started getting topwater hits so my data set is still small, but it worked well enough last fall that I am going to keep it up until it starts failing.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:27 pm

I haven't tried to the 1 or 1.5 size, but I use the size 2 egg snaps. I haven't had any issues of the snaps coming off at all after locking it in place. I've used the size 2 for jerkbaits, poppers, cranks, and spoons, and haven't had any issues so far.

I do want to try the size 1 for the finesse hardbaits that I throw on light tackle as the size 2 seems to me like it's too big.

When I first started using them, I did have some issues opening up the snap, but I've gotten used to it. I also do open up the snap a little more and bend it open like you do, but haven't had any issues of the snaps being weakened by it and opening up.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:01 pm

I have been using these without problems: OWNER 5121 HYPER WELDED QUICK SNAP

Welikan
Angler
Angler

Post by Welikan » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:33 pm

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:01 pm
I used to use the owner snaps with the rubber coating. They were my favorite but I can't find them anymore. So I decided to try the decoy egg snaps cause they had such good reviews.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:03 am

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
The issue I would have with those is the hooked bit of metal that sticks out. The reason I am into the Eggs is that they don't snag more then tying directly for mosts lures.

Welikan
Angler
Angler

Post by Welikan » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:01 am

Houndfish wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:03 am
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
The issue I would have with those is the hooked bit of metal that sticks out. The reason I am into the Eggs is that they don't snag more then tying directly for mosts lures.
It is nice that they don't snag on stuff as much but putting lures on and taking them off is such a pain.
If only there was an easier way....

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:30 pm

Welikan wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:01 am
Houndfish wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:03 am
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
It is nice that they don't snag on stuff as much but putting lures on and taking them off is such a pain.
If only there was an easier way....
I use both the decoys and the welded owners, and really like them both. On one of my frog rods I use the owner welded snaps. I actually cut and put a small piece of heat shrink over the line. Then put my frog on and close the snap. Slide the heat shrink down over the snap where the locking pin is and heat it and press it tight. It doesn't weigh too much or inhibit action and is more weedless than any regular snap including the decoys. I've tried the same with the decoys but they are a little thicker and heavier and weigh down the same frog a little more than I liked. Both ends of the metal on the snap are exposed. The heat shrink is like a band thats just over the area where the locking pin closes. You have to cut the heat shrink off if you want to change your bait, but I don't change my frogs too often. I just like how a snap improves walking action over being directly tied on. Also the welded are most weedless with baits like rattle traps or lv500s where the locking pin is in line with the bait and facing the back of the bait.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:56 pm

domthewon wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:30 pm
I use both the decoys and the welded owners, and really like them both. On one of my frog rods I use the owner welded snaps. I actually cut and put a small piece of heat shrink over the line. Then put my frog on and close the snap. Slide the heat shrink down over the snap where the locking pin is and heat it and press it tight. It doesn't weigh too much or inhibit action and is more weedless than any regular snap including the decoys. I've tried the same with the decoys but they are a little thicker and heavier and weigh down the same frog a little more than I liked. Both ends of the metal on the snap are exposed. The heat shrink is like a band thats just over the area where the locking pin closes. You have to cut the heat shrink off if you want to change your bait, but I don't change my frogs too often. I just like how a snap improves walking action over being directly tied on. Also the welded are most weedless with baits like rattle traps or lv500s where the locking pin is in line with the bait and facing the back of the bait.
That's very interesting. I do worry about having to retie as I only run 40lb braid and only bring a single rod on bank trips, but I wonder if I could use a cigar torch to set the shrink tube in the field.

It is every exciting to find someone else who uses snaps for frogging. I tried it as I have a great great versatile cover rod (Hyuga 72H) I use on a lot of my marsh fishing, but it's tip isn't great for walking. Once I tried it I fell in love. One of my favorite bank spots is a mile long canal that is a mix of opewater, pads, and laydowns with duckweed over about half of it. Being able to quickly swap between a frog, a different frog, a third frog, and a wakebait as I walk along is great.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:15 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:56 pm
domthewon wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:30 pm
That's very interesting. I do worry about having to retie as I only run 40lb braid and only bring a single rod on bank trips, but I wonder if I could use a cigar torch to set the shrink tube in the field.

It is every exciting to find someone else who uses snaps for frogging. I tried it as I have a great great versatile cover rod (Hyuga 72H) I use on a lot of my marsh fishing, but it's tip isn't great for walking. Once I tried it I fell in love. One of my favorite bank spots is a mile long canal that is a mix of opewater, pads, and laydowns with duckweed over about half of it. Being able to quickly swap between a frog, a different frog, a third frog, and a wakebait as I walk along is great.
Actually I use a small butane torch lighter I got from a gas station to heat shrink it. I just don’t put it directly on the heat shrink. I wave it back and forth with the flame a few inches away. A regular lighter works also but the torch is more direct and don’t have to worry about singeing my line. I have a MB X4 destruction which is very similar to your hyuga 72. I use it for similar stuff when bank fishing and it always has a snap on it either a decoy or welded owner.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:52 pm

domthewon wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:15 pm

Actually I use a small butane torch lighter I got from a gas station to heat shrink it. I just don’t put it directly on the heat shrink. I wave it back and forth with the flame a few inches away. A regular lighter works also but the torch is more direct and don’t have to worry about singeing my line. I have a MB X4 destruction which is very similar to your hyuga 72. I use it for similar stuff when bank fishing and it always has a snap on it either a decoy or welded owner.
I am gonna print this thread out so I can wave it around when people call me crazy for using snaps! I knew I was on to something!

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:41 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:52 pm
domthewon wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:15 pm

I am gonna print this thread out so I can wave it around when people call me crazy for using snaps! I knew I was on to something!
Everyone’s different, and that’s what I really like about this forum. I take what I think will work for me and run with it. If it’s not for me no big deal. I’ve never had a snap fail when fighting a frog fish, and until that happens I’ll keep fishing my frogs on a snap.