BEST RAPALA FOR RIVER SALMON

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Jamess76
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

BEST RAPALA FOR RIVER SALMON

Post by Jamess76 » Sat May 02, 2020 2:37 am

Hiya guys from Scotland, as this is my first day on the forum I'd like to here from anyone who uses rapala lures fished from the bank for salmon, best color,best size etc and the best way they've found to fish them. I've had a lot of success with the 7 cm blue and white original floating one in fact I've just joined YouTube and have posted a few quick little videos of me catching trout on the blue lure as they go crazy for them. So if anybody is interested look up jimmythefish.cart and have a wee look,but primarily I'm looking for your views on how to fish the rapala,some say the simple cast and retrieve brings little joy and say you HAVE to move the rod and maybe stop mid retrieve or add a little jig to the rod tip so what you think boys n girls what works best I'd really like to here please.thanks.......Jimmy..

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: BEST RAPALA FOR RIVER SALMON

Post by DrTrevorkian » Thu May 07, 2020 4:40 pm

Chinooks in the Great Lakes eat sz 9 Firetiger Shad Raps well. They even destroy them on occasion, literally. Shred the wire right through the side of the balsa! Other colors work well at times, perch, UV Green Tiger, black/silver if you are low in the river targeting fresh-run fish.

J13 Rapalas and Shallow Shad Raps have their place, as well.

We generally run them on spinning gear since they are fairly light baits and bass reels that can cast them don’t hold up so well to the larger salmon species. Smaller salmon are fine on bass reels, though.