How are boga grips good?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Welikan
Angler
Angler

How are boga grips good?

Post by Welikan » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:05 am

So I was wondering about this and I don't see how boga grips are really good for it's scale. The 30lb one weights in 1/2lb increments. To beat the world record it has to be 2 oz or more. The boga grips are not going to show you if you caught over 2 oz in some cases. I ask this because some people around the world do not have game wardens and access to certified places that will officially weight your fish. So the boga grips seemed really good but the 1/2lb increments.......uh I don't know.
Am I the only one who's thought about this? What are y'alls opinion on it?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: How are boga grips good?

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:11 am

Love my Boga grips. I have the 15lb model and it weighs in 1/4lb increments. You can generally eye it and tell if you are in between lines on the scale. We have always been very close to the exact weight keeping track on the water during a tourney and then seeing it on a scale. Within the range you are talking for 5 fish(.2oz).

One big thing is the accuracy of the scales. The Boga is dead on accurate, especially compared to any battery operated scales on the market. Super detailed numbers on a scale are no good if they aren’t accurate. If I was chasing records, I would want to be a solid line on the scale past what the record is before I would try to make it official. Pretty simple.

Welikan
Angler
Angler

Post by Welikan » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:03 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:11 am
Love my Boga grips. I have the 15lb model and it weighs in 1/4lb increments. You can generally eye it and tell if you are in between lines on the scale. We have always been very close to the exact weight keeping track on the water during a tourney and then seeing it on a scale. Within the range you are talking for 5 fish(.2oz).

One big thing is the accuracy of the scales. The Boga is dead on accurate, especially compared to any battery operated scales on the market. Super detailed numbers on a scale are no good if they aren’t accurate. If I was chasing records, I would want to be a solid line on the scale past what the record is before I would try to make it official. Pretty simple.
Yea but if the record is 22.4 and I catch a 22.6 the boga grips scale isn't going to be able to pick that up. So just trying to get a solid line past the record is not really a good way to go about it. You could've already beat the record and not have known.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:02 am

Boga’s are great for releasing fish. If I weigh a big one with a boga, I yank the net hoop from my handle and weigh the fish in the net, then subtract the weight of the hoop and wet net. It’s tough on them to hang a big one by their jaw, in the air.

I don’t mind the 1/2lb increments. It tells me if I’m close enough. If I’m looking at a world record, it’s gotta go to a certified/calibrated scale regardless, right? 1/2lb increments lets you know if you’re close enough to justify the hassle, IMO.