Mend-it glue drying up

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
JWY
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Mend-it glue drying up

Post by JWY » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:18 am

I have a bottle of Mend-it from 5+ years ago, still has more than half a bottle left but the content has dried up a bit - it's now all gelatinous which makes it very hard to get onto the brush and apply. Any idea what resolvent I can use to give back its youth without ruining it? Acetone? :-k

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Mend-it glue drying up

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:18 am

Acetone does not work, tried it a while back. I think xylene is what is used but not 100%. Search around on Google a little, I’ve found and used the answer just can’t remember what it is now :oops:

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:40 am

If it’s gelled you’re done, you’ll never ungel it. That being said, I make my own mendit using a 1:1 ratio of acetone and clear PVC pipe cement. I get the exact same results (strength, flexibility, etc) as with the real stuff. A couple of rules to remember if you’re going to go this route ... first, make small batches as it will eventually gel. Use the old glass mendit bottle or a thoroughly cleaned glass nail polish bottle. Glass is the key as it inhibits the evaporation of the acetone which is what causes the gelling in the first place. Nail polish bottles also have the perfect size brush in the cap, it’s a perfect container for it. It behaves pretty much in the same way as the original in that it will open up the tear as it liquifies the plastic. After repairing the bait it’s important to leave it undisturbed for at least 20 minutes for a thorough cure. Any chemical odor will dissipate as well just like with the original. Keep it in a cool dark place, the fridge will work good also. Been doing this for several years years now

slime king
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by slime king » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:22 am

"That being said, I make my own mendit using a 1:1 ratio of acetone and clear PVC pipe cement." =D>

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:57 am

sucks.. i just chucked 2 new bottles.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:41 pm

50% THF a.k.a pvc cement, 25% methyl ethyl ketone a.k.a. butanone a.k.a. clean strip, 15% hexanone and 5% acetone. I guess missing 5% is propriatary.

If 1:1 acetone: pvc cement works then no reason to add all the other crap.