New Angler need some help!

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
JasonQ
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

New Angler need some help!

Post by JasonQ » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:41 am

hey guys new angler and new to the forum, i was doing a lot of reading on the forum and couldnt find info regarding my question. this may be long bare with me and chime in please.

this is my first season fishing mid range gear, and my first season using a baitcaster so im not really sure where to go from here.
my current set up is a Expride 6'8MH with a Curado DC that i absolutely LOVE! I use it for some top water but now ive been fishing senkos on it. instead of having to cut and re-tie ive been looking for a dedicated senko rod.

The situation i am in- i purchased a Expride 6'6M thinking i would use it for my topwater and just use my 6'8MH for senkos. well i dont think i really like the 6'6M at all, the tip is a little to soft for me, idk why but i prefer a MH.

Im thinking of returning it forsure and instead of looking for a topwater rod im gonna swap it for a senko rod. I dont do alot of finesse stuff so i would like to get a MH or a M+

Ive narrowed it down to 2 very hard choices, Poison Adrena 6'11MH spinning or wait it out and get the 6'11M+ casting

i dont mind throwing senkos on a casting set up but was reading spinning would be better for presentation,
does anyone own either of the 2 Poisons that can chime in on the action of both, i do prefer a stiffer tip not super stiff but Expride MH stiff lol if that makes any sense. im literally losing sleep cause i cant make up my damn mind.

please dont recommend a bunch of other rods, ive narrowed it down to Expride or Poisons just a bit iffy on casting or spinning, M or MH

looking forward to hearing the responses

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: New Angler need some help!

Post by Drakestar » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:34 pm

A senko is not a senko is not a senko :) Working a bottom-contact neko worm vs pitching a weightless senko around docks are different use cases, for example. If you're only looking for a single rod, I'd go with a MH for versatility. Same if you're looking to throw into weeds a bunch. For everything else a Medium or M+ might be better, especially if it involves bottom contact.

The reel you're planning on using is really the deciding factor on whether want a baitcaster or not. By default I'd want one, but if the reel's spool doesn't spin up quickly enough you're going to be in trouble making precision casts, and if you need to set the spool tension too high it'll keep the senko from falling freely and will make it pendulum back (and look worse on the fall). Plus, there's nothing worse than getting (even lightly) backlashed on a good cast and getting bit on the fall while you're busy straightening out the line so you can retrieve again! That's really what you want to avoid, on top of being able to put the bait where you intended.

The Curado 70 has a good reputation for spinning up quickly and being accurate, not sure how much that carries over to the DC; it's a pretty beefy reel. I'd do a bunch of reading on the reel you want to throw stickbaits on (the 70 MGL might be a great candidate, or get an older 70 for cheap!) and go from there to decide on casting vs spinning. And I'd practice weightless senko fishing with the setup you already have to see if it's for you or not. If it's all a bit too much, spinning combos are awesome! At least in my mind, having grown up with them :)

Just my quick thoughts, you might get a bunch of additional (and better!) ones.

JasonQ
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by JasonQ » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:48 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:34 pm
A senko is not a senko is not a senko :) Working a bottom-contact neko worm vs pitching a weightless senko around docks are different use cases, for example. If you're only looking for a single rod, I'd go with a MH for versatility. Same if you're looking to throw into weeds a bunch. For everything else a Medium or M+ might be better, especially if it involves bottom contact.

The reel you're planning on using is really the deciding factor on whether want a baitcaster or not. By default I'd want one, but if the reel's spool doesn't spin up quickly enough you're going to be in trouble making precision casts, and if you need to set the spool tension too high it'll keep the senko from falling freely and will make it pendulum back (and look worse on the fall). Plus, there's nothing worse than getting (even lightly) backlashed on a good cast and getting bit on the fall while you're busy straightening out the line so you can retrieve again! That's really what you want to avoid, on top of being able to put the bait where you intended.

The Curado 70 has a good reputation for spinning up quickly and being accurate, not sure how much that carries over to the DC; it's a pretty beefy reel. I'd do a bunch of reading on the reel you want to throw stickbaits on (the 70 MGL might be a great candidate, or get an older 70 for cheap!) and go from there to decide on casting vs spinning. And I'd practice weightless senko fishing with the setup you already have to see if it's for you or not. If it's all a bit too much, spinning combos are awesome! At least in my mind, having grown up with them :)

Just my quick thoughts, you might get a bunch of additional (and better!) ones.
thanks for the reply, i mainly fish around weeds n wood, so for that application the 6'8MH Expride covers that department.i fish weightless on this current setup, Curado DC with 30lb braid to 16lb leader, have no problems at all. but the same set up works my heavier topwaters amazing, evergreen SB and other bigger walking baits. Thats why i want to get a dedicated bottom contact rod, something i can throw all of my stick baits on. Ive contemplated just getting another 6'8MH Expride but i want something i can throw my smaller topwater on as well as the ole senko.

As for the reel i have a 8.1 SLX DC already and that was wat i was using on the 6'6M Expride, so if i do go spinning ill have to pick up another casting rod for jerbaits or something. but it would be the Ci4 if thats the case.

The primary reason im even considering a power fishing casting set up is to present better on the fall, if all i have to do is loosen my drag and feed it a lil line on a BC then the choice is kinda obvious to get a casting setup at that point.

right now i use my 6'6MH Expride for everything, small hollow frogs, senko's, spooks, walking baits, pretty much everything but smaller topwaters and shakey heads.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:28 pm

The 6'11 m+ should serve you well. It's a great and versatile stick. You can use it for Senkos and top water no problem. Senkos don't need to be used with an egg beater. Casting gear is just fine. They weigh a quarter ounce. If these are your two primary techniques, I'd opt for the medium plus and a true medium heavy - or a medium and a medium heavy. This will open things up for you, with the ability to up size or downsize your presentations. Grab a medium light next and you're set.