Light Saltwater Tackle Recommendation

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Greg64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Light Saltwater Tackle Recommendation

Post by Greg64 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:32 pm

The family and I vacation on the Gulf of Mexico every year; and, I usually try to do a little fishing just for fun. That is, I'm not out trying to catch the night's dinner.

What would you recommend for light salt water spinning tackle that can be used for fishing from the beach?

I purchased one of the Cabelas combos a couple of years, ago; but, the lack of quality left me unimpressed.

I don't want to spend a fortune (I've done that on bass fishing tackle); but, I would like to get something decent.

Recommendations?

Thanks

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Light Saltwater Tackle Recommendation

Post by doomtrprz71 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:34 pm

What's your price range?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:39 pm

Okuma makes some nice, affordable, decent quality - not too expensive - gear I believe... Also St. Croix's Mojo line might have some surf rods if I recall.

Reel wise is where you'll probably want to spend a little more... but then again, maybe Revo X will be ok? Saltwater and sand are brutal combinations for reels though... I think all the Daiwa Spinning reels with MagSeal are at least $200 but I could be mistaken...

Should be some decent stuff out there for the $100 price range in both rods and reels... below that threshold, I've no clue.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:00 pm

For my beach fishing out here in northern california, I've really gotten into Japanese seabass rods. I have a Major Craft Crosstage. They'll run a little over $100 and you'll be amazed at what you can get for that price. These rods are well balanced and surprisingly sensitive. What I also like about these rods is that the butt part of the rod handle is not super long. This allows you to fish comfortably. For a reel, I have Penn Battle IIs. Not only are they tough and smooth, but also inexpensive. If you want domestic, there are plenty of steelhead rods that would work. But take a look at Major Craft. They have a nice selection that should meet one of your needs.

Good Luck!

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:04 pm

For reels, the Daiwa BG is also a good choice for the beach/salt without breaking the bank.

nfnband
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by nfnband » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:31 pm

Depends what your doing, Bait? Lure? or Surf Plugs

9ft Tsunami Airwave Elite with a Daiwa BG would be an entry level surf set up. A step up would be a Penn Slammer III and ODM or Blackhole surf rod.

Head over to Stripersonline.com Its all about surf fishing.

Greg64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Greg64 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:58 am

Thanks for all the recommendations!

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NormanD » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:34 pm

I fish in the gulf all the time. Any freshwater bass outfit will work for most of what you will encounter off the beach. If you gear up for some of the random big boys, then you probably want have much fun. The Shimano Stradic may be out of your price range, but it has done a very good job in the salt for my wife.

mkc
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by mkc » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:35 pm

After reading great reviews on another forum, I ordered a Black Hole Suzuki Special a few days ago.

Still waiting on Fedex, so I don't know how it is yet.

https://www.blackholeusa.com/suzuki-special-surf