Drop Shot Tip

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Drop Shot Tip

Post by goldrod » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:42 am

I dont often change weights on a drop shot but there at times when I do. Last time I went out I left my drop shot weights that pinch the line so I had to improvise and I think this is a better method. I have these fly fishing clips that tie to the line and you can use any barrel weight that has an eye loop and clip it in or as in the case of the norman speed clip just clip it to you weight.
Now these weights at long and cylindrical but they are really good in deep thick grass.
Just a tip I thought I'd share, may not work for you but will save the day when you forget something like I did.
Attachments
dropper.jpg
dropper.jpg (84.43 KiB) Viewed 3749 times
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Drop Shot Tip

Post by Sore Thumb » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:38 pm

Dont drop shot much down here, but when I do, I prefer the easy adjustability of the pinch weights. Moving from one area or just locating of fish, I find the pinch weights better.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:29 am

Sore Thumb wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:38 pm
Dont drop shot much down here, but when I do, I prefer the easy adjustability of the pinch weights. Moving from one area or just locating of fish, I find the pinch weights better.
So do I, however on this particular day I didn’t have any with me and had to resort to this. I thought it was a neat little way
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:28 am

These are some cool clips I can see coming in handy. Might have to pick up a few, thanks for sharing!

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:32 pm

Do you guys not have issues with the pinch snapping the line? It doesn't seem to matter what brand of weight I'm using, but the little pinch will snip the line with a slight tug in grass...what's the secret?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:56 pm

godshippy wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:32 pm
Do you guys not have issues with the pinch snapping the line? It doesn't seem to matter what brand of weight I'm using, but the little pinch will snip the line with a slight tug in grass...what's the secret?
I’ve had the same issues, at least when bombing 1/4oz or higher on light line. Which is why I either buy open eye DS weights or open up the pinch with a small screwdriver. Goldrod’s approach might be a good alternative, just gotta tie it easily enough so that it can break off, I think.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:22 pm

godshippy wrote:
If I understand the issue you're describing correctly, what I usually do is tie a little overhand knot near the end of the line before clipping on the weight. When I clip on the weight I don't pull the line all the way into the pinch which can cut into the line, just enough pressure so it is in place and resting against the knot (which helps to keep the weight from just sliding off). Hope this helps!

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:54 pm

i_am_R2 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:22 pm
godshippy wrote:
If I understand the issue you're describing correctly, what I usually do is tie a little overhand knot near the end of the line before clipping on the weight. When I clip on the weight I don't pull the line all the way into the pinch which can cut into the line, just enough pressure so it is in place and resting against the knot (which helps to keep the weight from just sliding off). Hope this helps!
Ah, this makes a lot more sense--I'll have to give it a shot the next time out!

Sterfry26
Angler
Angler

Post by Sterfry26 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:21 pm

godshippy wrote:
I definitely have and started using this method with round eye weights. My favorite clips are the mustad fastach clips. They're are dirt cheap and you can do a ton of cool rigs with them. They're also excellent for small trout baits. I have landed several 4+ browns on them and have never had a bent or deformed clip.