Things You Have NEVER Tried

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Things You Have NEVER Tried

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:35 pm

Just was thinking, we have a ton of people on here who have tried and done almost all of it. For me, I have enjoyed fishing for about 12 years now, and on and off earlier through my life. That being said, there is still plenty of equipment I have never tried.

For example:
I have never used or even cast a large flutter spoon. I have never owned a DC reel. I have also never tried to fly fish. I have never owned a true UL spinning rod, they have always been Light powered.

Just wondering what other somewhat general or semi-normal things some of you have never used.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Things You Have NEVER Tried

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:41 pm

No magnum spoons for me, either. Ive never fly fished, but I learned how to use a fly rod in my buddy's back yard. Ive never used a spybait or a ned rig. Dont kill me for this, but I can count on one hand how many times Ive thrown a suspending jerkbait and Ive never thrown a Vision 110.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:49 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:41 pm
No magnum spoons for me, either. Ive never fly fished, but I learned how to use a fly rod in my buddy's back yard. Ive never used a spybait or a ned rig. Dont kill me for this, but I can count on one hand how many times Ive thrown a suspending jerkbait and Ive never thrown a Vision 110.
Blasphemy! I own a single 110, and have only used it maybe 3 times. I've never used a Spybait or large Swimbait.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:59 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:49 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:41 pm
Blasphemy! I own a single 110, and have only used it maybe 3 times. I've never used a Spybait or large Swimbait.
Well, I have used a 110 Jr, but the pointer 78sp is the only one I've ever caught a fish on.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Real
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Real » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:18 am

I like to experiment. I've tried everything already mentionned and some more. Name something and I'm willing. :)
Last edited by Real on Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:29 am

I also still have not fished a "blade" bait, like the solid metal little lipless crank lures. Only recently did I get a couple of suspending rattle trap lures (Ima and 6th Sense). Not sure how every company doesn't offer one of those.

This one is a little off topic, but I know nothing about bobber fishing, slip bobbers, etc. Just never used them.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:57 pm

Interesting thread. I haven't tried some of the super finesse tactics, but I have tried many techniques most unsuccessfully and some successfully.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Real
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Real » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:58 am

goldrod wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:57 pm
Interesting thread. I haven't tried some of the super finesse tactics, but I have tried many techniques most unsuccessfully and some successfully.
Sometimes, you've got to give it time. I tried the Ned Rig 20 years ago when it was mentioned in a well known magazine
(half a Senko on a mushroom head ) and did not catch a fish. Today, it's a technique I use all the time with lots of success.
Last edited by Real on Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:38 am

I'd gone for a long time without trying a Carolina rig, then used it like crazy for like 2 years with great luck.

Haven't really gotten into the true magnum crankbaits. I have used the big squarebills though, so maybe that counts?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:20 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:38 am
I'd gone for a long time without trying a Carolina rig, then used it like crazy for like 2 years with great luck.
This is one of my go-to techniques. I even use them up shallow with a short leader, sort of a stroker rig. The zoom lizard is my all-time favorite soft plastic on a c-rig.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:52 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:20 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:38 am
This is one of my go-to techniques. I even use them up shallow with a short leader, sort of a stroker rig. The zoom lizard is my all-time favorite soft plastic on a c-rig.
I fish dropshot rigs that way to some extent, drag them a lot on our river. Now that you mention it, I don't think I have ever fished a lizard for a soft plastic.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:12 pm

I have tried most techniques with varying success perhaps because I in many instances I have applied techniques developed in bass fishing to perch, pike, trout etc.

The vision 110s, of which I have several, have not been a success. I have even tried them for salmon as I note they do with 110s in Scotland.

I started my fly fishing journey a few years ago and still have not used my DH fly rod.
I have yet to try UK-style carp fishing. Still, as I love being mobile while fishing and typically walk several miles, I do not think I will do much passive bank fishing…

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:45 pm

Fly fishing for me. I acquired a fly rod years ago but just haven't brought myself to fishing it. I did try to practice in the backyard though for a bit so does that count? :lol:

Magnum flutter spoons for me too. I've tried Kastmasters a bunch and have never caught anything on them so didn't try.

Neko rigs and a bunch of other popular finesse techniques too haha

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:25 pm

i_am_R2 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:45 pm
Fly fishing for me. I acquired a fly rod years ago but just haven't brought myself to fishing it. I did try to practice in the backyard though for a bit so does that count? :lol:

Magnum flutter spoons for me too. I've tried Kastmasters a bunch and have never caught anything on them so didn't try.

Neko rigs and a bunch of other popular finesse techniques too haha
yeah.. im on that train of not having tried fly fishing. I've seen it in person and its a rather unique sight to see
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:58 pm

Never tried a loomis rod for an extended period of time. This is due to the fact the only ones I’d be semi interested in use recoils which i hate with a passion (fished them on a few custom builds from friends i despise them.)