edge first strike update

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
BigMoneyGrip
Angler
Angler

Re: edge first strike update

Post by BigMoneyGrip » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:23 am

I'm sittin here on the porch waiting for mine! I knew that this was a good deal and my wife will be proud of me!!!

mdesouza
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mdesouza » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:55 am

So I called Edge to find out why the 3 and 4 powered rods were so different in line and lure rating when comparing the kickstarter (EFX) rods and the production (FS) rods.

The blank is different. They both use IM graphite but the production line up uses a completely different blank then the kickstarter rods.

The blanks from the kickstarter campaign will only be used for the backers of the campaign - meaning no other rods that will come from edge will have the same blank as the EFX.

Not sure if this is a good or bad thing...

I guess only time will tell, we will have to wait and see.

Mike D

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:08 am

....dumbass move

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:11 am

mdesouza wrote:So I called Edge to find out why the 3 and 4 powered rods were so different in line and lure rating when comparing the kickstarter (EFX) rods and the production (FS) rods.

The blank is different. They both use IM graphite but the production line up uses a completely different blank then the kickstarter rods.

The blanks from the kickstarter campaign will only be used for the backers of the campaign - meaning no other rods that will come from edge will have the same blank as the EFX.

Mike D
doens't sound like good news at all. being the business person that i am, news like this is seldom to the benefit of the consumer. my guess is that they made blanks they're unsatisfied with so to save on operating costs, they're dumping it on the backers and scraping the original plan

mdesouza
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mdesouza » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:16 am

Chode wrote:
mdesouza wrote:So I called Edge to find out why the 3 and 4 powered rods were so different in line and lure rating when comparing the kickstarter (EFX) rods and the production (FS) rods.

Mike D
doens't sound like good news at all. being the business person that i am, news like this is seldom to the benefit of the consumer. my guess is that they made blanks they're unsatisfied with so to save on operating costs, they're dumping it on the backers and scraping the original plan

I REALLY hope that is not the case!

I had really high hopes with regards to these rods...

No I am finding myself a little regretful...

Mike D

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:23 am

mdesouza wrote:
Chode wrote:

Mike D

I REALLY hope that is not the case!

I had really high hopes with regards to these rods...

No I am finding myself a little regretful...

Mike D
i hope it's not the case either but their lack of clarity and transparency doesn't help at all. the fact that u had to call to understand the discrepancy in the rods raises red flags.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:34 am

optimistic side is that they realized margins aren't what was originally projected and backers got a hell of a deal...but as stated by 21farms earlier in the post, they need to be a lot more clear on what's going on. proper communication is marketing 101

SS Fishing
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SS Fishing » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:08 am

I believe there are a lot of factors going into the reason the lineup is different. The original line of rods was going to be sold primarily through edgerods.com with distribution being handled by Edge Rods. There was so much excitement from the initial release at ICAST that larger opportunities came about. Gary is also finalizing a new HM Beta material and I believe new IM material along with some unique manufacturing techniques to reduce weight and improve strength. I would imagine the new line of EFX rods being distributed will use this new material and design. TFO is also handling all of the distribution of Edge Rods so they will be available to almost everyone in retail stores through out the US. The original EFX blanks designed and used for the kickstarter are great blanks just like all the blanks Gary makes. I would think that the new EFX line will grow as anglers and and retailers give input on what people want and probably the new line reflects that as well.

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:52 am

Further discussion is pointless until we see the delivered rods. Everybody is just speculating at this point. There is no concrete evidence one way or another. This kickstart project could have been handled, but I suspect that this is just step one of the big plan. Again, pure speculation. Any publicity is good publicity at this time.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:08 am

I was holding my tongue but I have to chime in.

EVERYTHING and I mean everything they did as an update was word for word off of emails I sent them. I gave them some marketing tips and they literally used my email as a template. I feel like I should get a check I the mail haha. Honestly the time of delivery is of no issue. Also I'm glad they did an update, but I'm still disappointed with their communication.

The complete lack of communication and explanation about changes, is a complete failure if I were overseeing this product launch. I am taken back that no one over there really seems to care... They only reply or post updates when you hound them and basically write the update for them.

As for the rods:

Why would you use guides that everyone taking part in your kickstarter told you they don't want? That was useful info and instead of listening to the customer, they steamrolled ahead.

Why price is where you did with a blank that cost $170 on its own?

At 399.99 for IM blank build? .... a Kistler Zone with HM blank looks like a much better buy... Not even sure what IM blank we are getting.

Seems like a doomed line-up to me.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:52 am

i'm personally not worried about the quality of the rod i'm going to get...i'm sure it will be what was originally represented which is a quality edge rod that is supposed to retail for $200-$210 (according to TT's icast writeup). i'm looking forward to getting mine but not in any hurry and don't mind waiting at all, especially considering the time of year it is and the limited fishing opportunities.

it's also okay with me if edge makes a business decision to scrap their original lineup plans if the financial side of it doesn't make sense. HOWEVER, by going with a different blank for a very different lineup but keeping the 'first strike' name and not saying anything about it, it leads to a lot of confusion and even to a sense that something 'not quite right' is going on.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:16 am

Aside from the communication issues, one thing that really stands out to me as an oversight is the choice of guides. It was clear during the Kickstarter that no one wanted the TFO guides.

So, the rods are now in the production phase, and can you guess what guides they used? That is right, the "TFO proprietary Tactical Series guides, machined stainless steel inserts are super-hard chrome anodized then swaged into a chromium-impregnated stainless frame"

I find it appalling that rod of this "caliber" and a price point of $399.99, would use these guides. They are the same guides that are used on the TFO's Gary's Tactical Series Bass Rods. Those rods have an MSRP of $149.99!

My question is, what are we paying for at the $399.99? The Blank has been changed as well, so I am not sure if the blank is even the $170 IM blank they sell to build off of.

SS Fishing
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SS Fishing » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:59 am

Everyone on kickstarter was complaining about the Minima guides not the TFO guides. They wanted guides they could use in saltwater.

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:11 am

According to Alex on kick starter: we will update the guides not to contain chrome.

Pac Bay Titanium Minima guides: Solid titanium with Hard Chrome ring.

TFO tactical guides: machined stainless steel inserts are super hard chrome anodized then swaged into a chromium impregnated stainless frame.

Which of these two guides does not contained chrome? :lol:

brighamvang
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by brighamvang » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:21 am

RMCatchNrelease wrote:Aside from the communication issues, one thing that really stands out to me as an oversight is the choice of guides. It was clear during the Kickstarter that no one wanted the TFO guides.

So, the rods are now in the production phase, and can you guess what guides they used? That is right, the "TFO proprietary Tactical Series guides, machined stainless steel inserts are super-hard chrome anodized then swaged into a chromium-impregnated stainless frame"

I find it appalling that rod of this "caliber" and a price point of $399.99, would use these guides. They are the same guides that are used on the TFO's Gary's Tactical Series Bass Rods. Those rods have an MSRP of $149.99!

My question is, what are we paying for at the $399.99? The Blank has been changed as well, so I am not sure if the blank is even the $170 IM blank they sell to build off of.
i don't really know what your paying for $399.99 or if your source of information is creditable. Hopefully your not confusing the "First Strike Series ($199 - $209)" to their "Black Widow ($350-$429) or Nickel Black Series," which are their more higher end rods.