Cranking rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Cranking rod

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:36 pm

Whats you favorite crankbait rod?

I'm looking for a new one.

There is a few I been eyeing...

Megabass Orochi XX flat side special

St Croix Legend glass 7'2" medium (never tried all glass)

Gloomis IMX Pro 843 CBR

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cranking rod

Post by Cal » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:16 pm

Tough one... more like I've met very few cranking rods I don't like :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:22 pm

Also looking at the Orochi xx swingfire

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:37 pm

if you can source one an X7 Western Flip!!! That thing is a super sick all around treble machine!!

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:40 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:Also looking at the Orochi xx swingfire
What class of cranks are you looking to throw?
Cal, Managing Editor

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:15 am

All those listed are a great choice i cant see you going wrong with any of them. I have the new flat side special and it is a great rod for the lighter end of the spectrum i really wouldnt throw anything over 1/2 oz with this rod. I use mine for dt 6, rico poppers, jerkbaits, spybait 90 size great rod for the lighter stuff. I do not have the medium st croix legend glass but i do have the 7'4 med hvy and it is different than what im used to being mostly graphite cranking sticks. I really like this rod a lot though it has a great power curve when loaded up with a fish and setting the hook. It also throws baits a mile ! It will not be as sensitive as a graphite stick but pretty good for a glass rod i must say. I do not own the 843 and but have in the older red model g loomis used to make, and have handled the current imx pro model out of the other rods it had the most bend throughout the blank. I would probably use this for smaller cranks as well such as warts or the 1/4 -3/8 oz range. I feel like the orochi will be the most versatile aside from just throwing cranks due to the more crisp nature of the rod, meaning it doesnt seem like a med fast action until actually loaded up with a fish.

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmd_143 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:58 pm

Based off your list, I would go Orochi XX FSS. I have owned one and they are great rods for the money. Currently I am using a Dobyns Champion 705cb graphite. Love it. Highly recommended and comes with a Lifetime warranty.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:33 pm

Cal wrote:

Duo Realis M65, Megabass Deep x150, Jackall TN 60, Jackall Cherry DD, Lucky Craft LV500
jmd_143 wrote:Based off your list, I would go Orochi XX FSS. I have owned one and they are great rods for the money. Currently I am using a Dobyns Champion 705cb graphite. Love it. Highly recommended and comes with a Lifetime warranty.
Right now I'm using the Dobyns Fury 705 CB and it has worked excellent, but I really want to try another brand.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:47 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Cal wrote:

Duo Realis M65, Megabass Deep x150, Jackall TN 60, Jackall Cherry DD, Lucky Craft LV500
Funny... I had to look back at my review on this stick to verify it would handle those baits because in my mind, it's too light in power to do so, but its rating is up to an ounce and I tossed the MB Grenade on that stick?

I have fished too many rods to remember anything anymore :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:03 pm

Here is what has me a bit confused.

The Swingfire is a F5 but rated at 1/4 to 5/8 oz while the Flatside special is F4.5 and rated at 3/8 to 3/4 oz

:-k

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:14 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:Here is what has me a bit confused.

The Swingfire is a F5 but rated at 1/4 to 5/8 oz while the Flatside special is F4.5 and rated at 3/8 to 3/4 oz

:-k
Did I list the spec wrong in the review again? Unfortunately, I don't have the rod anymore to check but if the Swingfire is 1/4-1 and not 5/8, that'd explain the difference between it and the Flatside.

But the Swingfire is also a composite blank. I'm pretty sure the Flatside is all graphite.
Cal, Managing Editor

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:17 pm

Hah! I have the photo of the rod spec... right on the stick, the Swingfire is listed as 3/8-1 oz not 1/4-5/8
Cal, Managing Editor

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:50 pm

Revofisher wrote:I do have the 7'4 med hvy and it is different than what im used to being mostly graphite cranking sticks. I really like this rod a lot though it has a great power curve when loaded up with a fish and setting the hook. It also throws baits a mile ! It will not be as sensitive as a graphite stick but pretty good for a glass rod i must say.
I have so many questions on the MH?
What cranks do you use with this rod?
Whats the lightest and whats the heavies lure you can cast on this rod.
Thanks.

Cal wrote:Hah! I have the photo of the rod spec... right on the stick, the Swingfire is listed as 3/8-1 oz not 1/4-5/8
But is it the same specs on the new version?

https://megabassusa.com/product/orochi- ... swingfire/

Can anyone confirm this
bronzefly wrote:
quoted to check :big grin:

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:52 am

I have only had the legend glass for three weeks now so it has not been through the ringer, but has been used almost every trip out thus far. I really love it for that 3/8 - 3/4 ish style baits . I have thrown spro little johns mid divers 9-12 feet, rapala dt 10s - dt 16s, jackal muscle deep 15s, norman deep little ns, megabass x100s, and some dt6. I did throw some strike king 6xds on it as well. the rod for me really shines with the medium stuff that runs in that 9-16 foot range. it handled the dt 6 ok but i would get the 7'2 medium legend glass for the smaller crank spectrum, and I actually caught a 15lb drum on the 6xd. The funny thing is How good it was for the chatterbait, so it can do a little more than just cranking at the end of the day. works well for the pompador jr also if you are not target casting. Its just a great treble bait rod really . I have it paired with a bantam mgl and the balance point is in front of the cork foregrip somewhat, I really think a tad heavier reel would be better like a conquest maybe?? its not super tip hvy though. Build quality is nice as well on this one.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:34 pm

I just ordered the st croix LG MH.

Can't wait until Wednesday