Daiwa Rebellion Rods 2020

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Rebellion Rods 2020

Post by Jason Penn » Sat May 02, 2020 10:23 am

i've had the 6101mhr out a couple of times, and i have things i like & don't with it.

the reel seat isn't my favorite. exposed blank seats aren't as important to me (especially with moving bait rods) as they apparently are to most. i say that because most mfgs keep trying to give you more blank exposed. with fast moving baits with resistance, comfort is more important to me, and it seems like the more cut out the seat is, the more it digs into my fingers. i realize i'm in the minority here.

also the lockdown on the seat isn't my favorite. it's essentially the hood on the pts seats, and i had to learn to reposition my index finger. 1st trip out i noticed where i keep that finger on air beam seats, if i tried on the rebellion, it was where the hood ramps up to the larger diameter. my finger would slip back in and my fingers would get crammed together. yesterday, i got settled in to positioning slightly different and had zero problems.

i really like the blank of this rod. it is a bit deceiving as it feels stiff and faster action, but it loads deep on a hookset and stays loaded when fighting a fish. i've only fished a spinnerbait, chatterbait, and crank on this rod so far, but i think it would make an excellent buzzbait rod and probably walkers as well. the mid-size plopper type would be good also.

i've got a mh mod-fast blank to build. i'm gonna go with a non exposed fuji seat with the kdps & matagi thread cover on it. if it works out like i think it should...i may get rid of the rebellion. if it doesn't, i already know this rod worked for the purpose i wanted it to serve.

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Sat May 02, 2020 5:12 pm

how is the sensitivity on these Rebellions? in some other part of the world including Japan I think Rebellions are selling at about the same price as Expride but obviously here Daiwa places these rods at a different price point.

I'm kinda using Expride as benchmarks/start points to build my rod arsenal and wonder if it is worth picking up a couple of Rebellions...

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cumara » Tue May 05, 2020 12:37 pm

In addition, if anyone can comment on the weight, and balance of these rods I'd greatly appreciate it!

Jason_Domingo
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Jason_Domingo » Wed May 13, 2020 7:39 pm

Ordered the 7’ M Spinning model to use as an all around finesse rod. Got a chance to take it out today..I currently have it paired with a Shimano Stradic Ci4+ 2500 (Shimano on Daiwa I know, blasphemy lol). I was mainly throwing around a 1/8 Okashira Screwhead with a Hazedong Shad, balance wise, it balances at the end of the foregrip, very comfortable to hold. The tip on this particular model is pretty stiff, probably could’ve done with the ML and be fine but I have no issue with it. Rod loads on a cast quite well and especially on a hookset, backbone is great, had no issue bringing in 2lb Spots and even a 5lb Channel Cat (who knew they eat Okashira Screwheads lol). Sensitivity wise, if I had to compare it to a rod I own casting or spinning, I would say its on par if not better than my Megabass Levante DSR.

Now what I don’t like..I don’t like that it doesn’t have a hook keeper, minor issue I know but its just an inconvenience. I’m also having issue with the locking nut on the reel seat Which is on the bottom coming loose everytime I go to hook a fish. Now, I’m not sure if thats because its new But I’m hoping with more time it’ll break in and stay still.

All in all I’m pretty happy it, its aesthetically pleasing to look at, has that JDM look and feel to it

Pastrmka
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Pastrmka » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:32 pm

Can't decide between rebellion rods and new zodias. Specifically spinning Medium light , will pair it up with 2500 size reel. Looking for more of a versatile rod when bank fishing, will be used for Ned rigs and small hardbaits....anyone had experience with both and which they prefer?

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:54 pm

Pastrmka wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:32 pm
Can't decide between rebellion rods and new zodias. Specifically spinning Medium light , will pair it up with 2500 size reel. Looking for more of a versatile rod when bank fishing, will be used for Ned rigs and small hardbaits....anyone had experience with both and which they prefer?
I don't care what Shimano says...adding a monocoque butt alone w/o changing the blank won't make much of a difference, though the Zodias is a great rod. But if you can find the Rebellion in stock, go for it: the 7'm at least is an incredible rod.
Last edited by reason162 on Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:27 pm

I would opt for the new Zodias when the time comes. I think from the Zodias on up, Shimano is making a great rod for the $
Last edited by Fishing4Fun on Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:08 am

I’ve been using my 7’3” glass for cranks, shallow, mid and deep (15’). I like it.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:39 pm

Jason Penn wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:23 am
i've had the 6101mhr out a couple of times, and i have things i like & don't with it.

the reel seat isn't my favorite. exposed blank seats aren't as important to me (especially with moving bait rods) as they apparently are to most. i say that because most mfgs keep trying to give you more blank exposed. with fast moving baits with resistance, comfort is more important to me, and it seems like the more cut out the seat is, the more it digs into my fingers. i realize i'm in the minority here.

also the lockdown on the seat isn't my favorite. it's essentially the hood on the pts seats, and i had to learn to reposition my index finger. 1st trip out i noticed where i keep that finger on air beam seats, if i tried on the rebellion, it was where the hood ramps up to the larger diameter. my finger would slip back in and my fingers would get crammed together. yesterday, i got settled in to positioning slightly different and had zero problems.

i really like the blank of this rod. it is a bit deceiving as it feels stiff and faster action, but it loads deep on a hookset and stays loaded when fighting a fish. i've only fished a spinnerbait, chatterbait, and crank on this rod so far, but i think it would make an excellent buzzbait rod and probably walkers as well. the mid-size plopper type would be good also.

i've got a mh mod-fast blank to build. i'm gonna go with a non exposed fuji seat with the kdps & matagi thread cover on it. if it works out like i think it should...i may get rid of the rebellion. if it doesn't, i already know this rod worked for the purpose i wanted it to serve.
How do you like this stick after some time? What have you been throwing on it? Would it work with jerks?

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:31 am

big jerkbaits maybe. its stiff.

i really like the blank itself, but i haven't been able to get used to the reel seat. i much prefer the airbeam, and the tatula elite. if it didn't cost so much to ship rods, i would just sell it.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:12 am

If you got to the Daiwa Japan website, Rebellion is their new thing. Directed toward the youth market.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:23 pm

Picked up a daiwa 610mhrb the other day to use from the yak. I went in looking for a mh/f all around rod in a shorter length and came across this. I knew it was rated as regular(moderate) however after feeling it in the store it felt quite fast. Maybe more mod fast or even fast. After reading here though I am starting to wonder if it will be as versatile as I originally thought. Sounds kind of like my otomat but shorter. So now I may be on the search for a good all arounder. I think I will keep the 610mhrb because I got it for around $150 and It feels awesome. Probably use it for buzzbaits,spinnerbaits,topwater, and maybe paddle tails?

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:18 pm

I've used 71M and 610MHR for about a season and I used them side by side with my Exprides:

1. 71M weights 3.74OZ on my scale vs. Expride 7M 3.85OZ, so it is light, but in my hand Expride feels better (lighter). never weight 610MHR but it feels close to Expride 610M (again Expride feels a bit better and the taper is faster)
2. sensitivity honestly I can't tell much difference between them, maybe Expride 7M tiny bit more sensitive? I am using braid line most of the time...I have some more sensitive rods like Steez AGS, Poison Adrena and I feel Expride and Rebellion belong to same sensitivity department
3. Rebellions cast better for me. what really surprise me is 71M cast much longer than Expride 7M, for a 1/4 jighead + small swimbait for example

Exprides and Rebellions are my work horse rods, so far I like them all :laugh1:

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:24 pm

StymoDe wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:18 pm
I've used 71M and 610MHR for about a season and I used them side by side with my Exprides:

1. 71M weights 3.74OZ on my scale vs. Expride 7M 3.85OZ, so it is light, but in my hand Expride feels better (lighter). never weight 610MHR but it feels close to Expride 610M (again Expride feels a bit better and the taper is faster)
2. sensitivity honestly I can't tell much difference between them, maybe Expride 7M tiny bit more sensitive? I am using braid line most of the time...I have some more sensitive rods like Steez AGS, Poison Adrena and I feel Expride and Rebellion belong to same sensitivity department
3. Rebellions cast better for me. what really surprise me is 71M cast much longer than Expride 7M, for a 1/4 jighead + small swimbait for example

Exprides and Rebellions are my work horse rods, so far I like them all :laugh1:
What kind of baits do you think the 610MHR excels with? I know its listed as a regular bend but it feels fast to me. Better for moving treble hooks or can it do a little bit of everything?