Legend Elite vs. Dobyns Extreme

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Legend Elite vs. Dobyns Extreme

Post by Fat-G » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:37 pm

Pegasus wrote:
Fat-G wrote:Yeah come on guys. Let's not turn this into a "which brand is better" thread. I just wanted to see what everyone would recommend, and the Dobyns obviously takes the cake.
You see this BB144 ?

Its remarks like these [Dobyns obviously takes the cake] that would lead me to think that this kind of thread was started with a purpose to generate attention to Dobyn rods.
There are just too many people on these posts I think that know him personally and that in some way are probably affiliated with the brand.
Are you kidding me? I don't know civic. I don't know his real name, where he lives, how good of a fisherman he is, etc. He has recommended products to me on several occasions, and always provides valuable info. I simply asked for a comparison between the two rods, and got a majority answer.

I agree that a lot of people on the TT forum plug Dobyns, whether they are sponsored or not, but there is a reason. It's obviously a quality product that people trust. I've never even held a Dobyns rod, but have emailed Richard Dobyns himself about their line of rods.

Balance is the biggest key factor for me when it comes to rods. If the Elite is tip heavy, I won't spend that amoumt of money on it. I don't care how light it is.

Thank you though.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:36 am

Fat-G wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
Fat-G wrote:Yeah come on guys. Let's not turn this into a "which brand is better" thread. I just wanted to see what everyone would recommend, and the Dobyns obviously takes the cake.
You see this BB144 ?

Its remarks like these [Dobyns obviously takes the cake] that would lead me to think that this kind of thread was started with a purpose to generate attention to Dobyn rods.
There are just too many people on these posts I think that know him personally and that in some way are probably affiliated with the brand.
Are you kidding me? I don't know civic. I don't know his real name, where he lives, how good of a fisherman he is, etc. He has recommended products to me on several occasions, and always provides valuable info. I simply asked for a comparison between the two rods, and got a majority answer.

I agree that a lot of people on the TT forum plug Dobyns, whether they are sponsored or not, but there is a reason. It's obviously a quality product that people trust. I've never even held a Dobyns rod, but have emailed Richard Dobyns himself about their line of rods.

Balance is the biggest key factor for me when it comes to rods. If the Elite is tip heavy, I won't spend that amoumt of money on it. I don't care how light it is.

Thank you though.

I never said that you knew Civic
And if you never held the rod how can you comment on the quality I have seen the Champions and held them and I am telling you they have to be looked at with a magnifying glass they fall short on quality for the price they are asking.
I am really done with this post.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:39 am

bstuckey wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
You see this BB144 ?

What? :?:
Do the math its not hard

chasiubao73
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chasiubao73 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:05 am

Own the Legend Elites, Legend Extremes and Dobyns Xtremes.

They're all the same. It all comes down to which you prefer:

1)Weight of the rod vs. Balance of the rod. To me anyways, balance only becomes an issue of these two brands if you are strapping a sub 6oz reel like a core or a steez on it. The Dobyns balance better with these reels. Curado or Chronarch, not a huge difference between the two. But, the usual disclaimer that balance is subjective applies here. I am also comparing my DX 744 and DX745 vs. my XC72MHM and XC76MHMF

2)SiC (Legend Elites) and Recoil (Legend Xtremes) vs Zirconium (Dobyns DX).

3)Looks

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:25 am

Pegasus wrote:...I have seen the Champions and held them and I am telling you they have to be looked at with a magnifying glass they fall short on quality for the price they are asking.
And yet you can offer no proof to back up your claims. I don't want to turn this into an argument (although it's probably already past that point), but I would really like to see what you are talking about. At first you said it was on a post on this site before the crash, now you say that you've held them and experienced this poor quality. Inconsistencies never help anyone prove a point. Even a picture of an instance of poor quality would be enough for me. I know it may not be feasible to get pictures, but if there was a major quality issue, I'm sure more than one person would be having it.

I don't believe the blatant over exaggerations and continuous "advertising" done by many people associated with Dobyns is right; however, the Dobyns cynics are just as bad at doing the exact opposite. You've already shown your contempt at "those Dobyns guys" so without any reliable proof to back up your statements, I can't take your word for anything more than that of another detractor.

Now, I would like to share my experience (which I will back up with pictures later tonight if you would like) on the quality of the Dobyns Champion series rods. Price and performance wise, they are similar to a G Loomis IMX rod. The quality and craftsmanship on both of my champion rods exceeds that of my three IMXs (well, a couple are my dads, but that's irrelevant). The cork is a much higher grade than the Loomis. The guides are of a better material. There is sloppy thread work on the guides wraps on the IMX rods (which is ridiculous for a $275 rod), while the Champions are very neat. The IMXs don't have any metal trims rings, but the ones on the Champion are all centered and put in nicely. Overall, the Champion is a better rod in terms of craftsmanship and quality of components. (and just to be clear, from handling the St. Croixs in the store, they are also better quality and craftsmanship than the comparable Loomis rods).

It could simply be that the rod you got, or the guy in that thread before the crash or whoever (I've really lost track at this point) was a lemon. Even the best manufacturers and businesses send out a lemon or two once in a while. Like I said earlier, if there were major quality issues, I'm sure others would be having problems.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:13 am

BB144 wrote:
Pegasus wrote:...I have seen the Champions and held them and I am telling you they have to be looked at with a magnifying glass they fall short on quality for the price they are asking.
And yet you can offer no proof to back up your claims. I don't want to turn this into an argument (although it's probably already past that point), but I would really like to see what you are talking about. At first you said it was on a post on this site before the crash, now you say that you've held them and experienced this poor quality. Inconsistencies never help anyone prove a point. Even a picture of an instance of poor quality would be enough for me. I know it may not be feasible to get pictures, but if there was a major quality issue, I'm sure more than one person would be having it.

I don't believe the blatant over exaggerations and continuous "advertising" done by many people associated with Dobyns is right; however, the Dobyns cynics are just as bad at doing the exact opposite. You've already shown your contempt at "those Dobyns guys" so without any reliable proof to back up your statements, I can't take your word for anything more than that of another detractor.

Now, I would like to share my experience (which I will back up with pictures later tonight if you would like) on the quality of the Dobyns Champion series rods. Price and performance wise, they are similar to a G Loomis IMX rod. The quality and craftsmanship on both of my champion rods exceeds that of my three IMXs (well, a couple are my dads, but that's irrelevant). The cork is a much higher grade than the Loomis. The guides are of a better material. There is sloppy thread work on the guides wraps on the IMX rods (which is ridiculous for a $275 rod), while the Champions are very neat. The IMXs don't have any metal trims rings, but the ones on the Champion are all centered and put in nicely. Overall, the Champion is a better rod in terms of craftsmanship and quality of components. (and just to be clear, from handling the St. Croixs in the store, they are also better quality and craftsmanship than the comparable Loomis rods).

It could simply be that the rod you got, or the guy in that thread before the crash or whoever (I've really lost track at this point) was a lemon. Even the best manufacturers and businesses send out a lemon or two once in a while. Like I said earlier, if there were major quality issues, I'm sure others would be having problems.

I can't back it up with pictures I normally don't carry a camera in my back pocket.
Yes before the crash more than a few people came out of the woodwork
the guy who had the bad experience I think his name was stefanno or something like that
if I remember he drove to Cabelas and turn down the rod.
Yes you are right its getting out of hand but when somebody sys that they have more than 20 dobyn rods this is not your average guy buying a few rods he is connected but that is my opinion.
I don't have anything against Dobyn rods.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:53 am

Pegasus wrote: Yes you are right its getting out of hand but when somebody sys that they have more than 20 dobyn rods this is not your average guy buying a few rods he is connected but that is my opinion.
Pegasus,
You don't know what I do for work or what my disposable income is. For all you know, I could be a trust fund baby or a drug czar. Yes, I do have a lot of rods. I also have 14 Shimano reels + two Abu Revo's. I had in excess of 14 'croixs, 10+ GLoomis, 8 Cumaras & 6 Zillions at one time.

I got into flyfishing last Fall & now have 4 Sage Xi3 & 4 NRX rods along with Hatch & Abel reels.

I buy & use fishing equipment.

I was done with this thread since it had gone so off track but felt I needed to respond. I'm sorry that I was partially to blame. I won't be posting on this thread again.

Bass Oreno
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bass Oreno » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:21 am

I was talking to a workman in a craftman rod company and analyzed several rods to know where the rod industries are in terms of technology and blank. He said that St-Croix Elite blank is more superior because of the ART and SIC technology.That difference will be more perceptible in long term , because the St-Croix Elite blank will be not bent and the most important NO STRENGHT lost ! I fish with the Dobyns Extreme and my opinion is a amazing rod, and has this level it's a question of preference !

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fat-G » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:08 am

I love fishing.

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:40 pm

Pegasus wrote:
BB144 wrote:
I can't back it up with pictures I normally don't carry a camera in my back pocket.
Yes before the crash more than a few people came out of the woodwork
the guy who had the bad experience I think his name was stefanno or something like that
if I remember he drove to Cabelas and turn down the rod.
Yes you are right its getting out of hand but when somebody sys that they have more than 20 dobyn rods this is not your average guy buying a few rods he is connected but that is my opinion.
I don't have anything against Dobyn rods.

You carry a magnifying glass but no camera or cell phone with a camera. :shock: It's easy to make unsubstantiated claims without actually having evidence to back up said claims. [-X I personally own 8 Dobyns rods: 5 DX Extremes and 3 Champions that I have scrutinized for defects and from what I can see, (no magnifying glass but 20-20 vision) there are no defects in any of my rods and I can readily produce proof to document my statement. :big grin: Cicirr, myself and others have expressed our opinions, nothing more, nothing less. Did I personally attack St Croix rods and call them garbage? Heck no... I've got 9 of them, in fact they are fantastic rods, but in some cases Dobyns has a rod that I like better. By the way, I have paid for all my rods. I don't understand your conspiracy type attitude about some posts that make recommendations regarding Dobyns rods have . The whole Idea behind these forums is for people who have a passion for fishing and fishing equipment, tackle and associated goods, I don't see where allegations and negative attitudes come into play. Fat_G, if that is who you truly are, good luck in your attempt to find some rods.

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fat-G » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:56 pm

Thank you sir! I'm really torn between going all out and getting a Champion Extreme or just getting a Champion. Either way, I know I'll get a quality product. I'll probably end up getting a Champion 734 with the full grip for mop jigs and heavy plastics.

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:06 pm

Fat-G wrote:Thank you sir! I'm really torn between going all out and getting a Champion Extreme or just getting a Champion. Either way, I know I'll get a quality product. I'll probably end up getting a Champion 734 with the full grip for mop jigs and heavy plastics.
How heavy of jigs and worms? My 2 favorite rods are the Champion 735C & 736C.... Oops..... another can of worms. :doh:

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fat-G » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:12 pm

bstuckey wrote:
Fat-G wrote:Thank you sir! I'm really torn between going all out and getting a Champion Extreme or just getting a Champion. Either way, I know I'll get a quality product. I'll probably end up getting a Champion 734 with the full grip for mop jigs and heavy plastics.
How heavy of jigs and worms? My 2 favorite rods are the Champion 735C & 736C.... Oops..... another can of worms. :doh:
I just posted another topic that is more descriptive. Bottom line, I'm pretty damn excited to get my first Dobyns!

Bob Ellis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bob Ellis » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:01 pm

Personally I prefer to go my own way. Sometimes everyone being a fan of a product is enough to make me look for an alternative. Now my recent decision was not as much against a Dobyns as it was against any rod in that price for my wallet. I bought St. Croixs, Triumphs, probably no comparison.

I might even be so inclined to pick a Legend Tournament rod over any on the market, even if money were no object. I am not as refined a fisherman to probably tell the differences between high end rods. What I do know is that the Legend Tournament rods are gorgeous. In my eye, and that is a subjective make no doubt, they are the most attractive and nicest finished rods I've held . IPC and ART don't hurt and from what I understand they do make a difference.

Surely Dobyns rods are a good product, but to get my money is a difficult thing involving as much gut as brain. I'm the kinds of guy who'd still take the "overpriced" GL2 rods before I'd take a Kistler, Powell, etc, whether they are objectively better or not. I must like blue.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:05 pm

i think we just have to come to a conclusion that both r absolutely fantastic rods and u really can't go wrong with either one