Dobyns 704 cb glass

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Dobyns 704 cb glass

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:29 pm

I posted this because jiggerjake asked me if he could use the 704 cb glass for light ripping and TT won't let me send pm's yet. To answer his question. NO I would not use this rod for any ripping, the tip is too soft, and last fall i broke the tip of my 704 cb glass ripping a crankbait out of grass. I would use the 705 cb and the graphite would be better than the glass in my opinion.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Dobyns 704 cb glass

Post by njbasscat » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:32 am

I second that. The action is much to moderate for ripping. The 705 Glass is suited much better for this.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:18 am

i dunno if i can agree...for light to medium cranks in light cover, the rod should do fine

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:33 pm

Chode wrote:i dunno if i can agree...for light to medium cranks in light cover, the rod should do fine
The rod does fine in light cover but if it gets snagged in grass or millfoil, ripping a bait out of the weeds can end up in a rod tip breaking like mine did. It didn't happen the first time, but eventually my luck ran out. For ripping out of grass, millfoil etc. I prefer a medium heavy graphite cranking rod.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

fanjoo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fanjoo » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:14 pm

this rod is not good for any baits over 1/2, 1/4 oz is where it seems to shine. I usually use it to throw jackall cherry footers, minus-1's, or any other small shallow cranks. anything else feels way to burdensome on the rod. i agree the 705 is much more versatile.

jiggerjake
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jiggerjake » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:25 am

Thanks again for your response spencer. I plan to use the rod primarily for 1/4-3/8oz lures in open water-rivers mostly,but on occasion will be throwing 1-minus & wakebaits over emergent grass in the spring.Like I said this may require some lite ripping from time to time.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:00 pm

jiggerjake wrote:Thanks again for your response spencer. I plan to use the rod primarily for 1/4-3/8oz lures in open water-rivers mostly,but on occasion will be throwing 1-minus & wakebaits over emergent grass in the spring.Like I said this may require some lite ripping from time to time.
if u r gonna stay in that range then the 704 is the better rod...the 705 is definitely an overkill in that lure range and could take some of the fun out of fishing

T Mike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by T Mike » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:09 pm

Chode wrote:
jiggerjake wrote:Thanks again for your response spencer. I plan to use the rod primarily for 1/4-3/8oz lures in open water-rivers mostly,but on occasion will be throwing 1-minus & wakebaits over emergent grass in the spring.Like I said this may require some lite ripping from time to time.
if u r gonna stay in that range then the 704 is the better rod...the 705 is definitely an overkill in that lure range and could take some of the fun out of fishing
Ditto!! The 704 is a great ripping rod for pointer 100 type baits and smaller. If your tip broke it was because of a nick or something. Grass isn't going to do it.

Mike
Dobyns Rods, Lucky Craft, Triple Fish, Bull Shad

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:04 am

I misunderstood. The 704 glass is great for jerkbaits. If I am fishing around heavy grass and will be ripping the lure out of the grass, I prefer the 705 glass because it is faster and more powerful. I have a hard time clearing the grass from the trebles with the 704 glass.

jiggerjake
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jiggerjake » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:13 am

[quote="njbasscat"]I misunderstood. The 704 glass is great for jerkbaits. If I am fishing around heavy grass and will be ripping the lure out of the grass, I prefer the 705 glass because it is faster and more powerful. I have a hard time clearing the grass from the trebles with the 704 glass.[/quot

What size baits are you ripping? How small a bait would you throw with the 705cb glass.?
My response to the original question has been about 50/50 for ripping smaller baits through grass.Granted I'm not talking thick,matted,"walk across me" grass.But sparse early spring type.Had pro staffers tell me this is the one they use and recommed.I figure they can pretty much use anyone they want,so I'm going to see how it works out.I'll have my Seeker on board-just in case!!

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:30 pm

Neither the 704 or 705 glass rods are my primary jerkbait rods. I use a 684 and a Kistler jerkbait rod but in the spring when the jerkbait bite is hot I may have 4 jerkbaits tied on. In this case I use the 704 glass for open water and have used the 705 glass when ripping around grass. I throw mostly pointer 100's and x-raps. Most of the time I use the 704 glass for cranking light medium divers in open water or light cover. The 705 glass usually has a trap, squarebill, or spinnerbait tied on. I have all 4 glass rods plus a 684 so I will often experiment with all the rods trying different treble baits on them to see which one feels the best.

jiggerjake
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jiggerjake » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:42 pm

[quote="njbasscat"]Neither the 704 or 705 glass rods are my primary jerkbait rods. I use a 684 and a Kistler jerkbait rod but in the spring when the jerkbait bite is hot I may have 4 jerkbaits tied on. In this case I use the 704 glass for open water and have used the 705 glass when ripping around grass. I throw mostly pointer 100's and x-raps. Most of the time I use the 704 glass for cranking light medium divers in open water or light cover. The 705 glass usually has a trap, squarebill, or spinnerbait tied on. I have all 4 glass rods plus a 684 so I will often experiment with all the rods trying different treble baits on them to see which one feels the best.[/quote

The 704cb glass will only see small crank baits in open water and around lite cover.Sounds like thats your application as well.I throw all my jerk baits on spinning tackle.Much easier for me to work them how I need to.And with a Stradic you can rip and take-up line much faster.But we'll leave this for another post.Thanks for everone input.