Guide question

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Heavy Action
Angler
Angler

Guide question

Post by Heavy Action » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:29 pm

Hey fellas, I was checking out my arsenal of rods and noticed something fishy(no pun intended). On approximately half my rods some of my bigger guides(spinning and casting) make a slight clicking noise. It's exactly where the guide exits the epoxy so to speak. None of the guides are loose at all, in fact there all very well seated. I am experiencing this in all different makes and models of my rods while some(same makes and models) don't display this action all. I also do not notice it when a fish is on the line. am I being a psycho or is this o.k.? Obviously you can tell I'm a little O.C.D. about my tackle. I'm thinking a tiny drop of krazy glue should do the trick.......see O.C.D. any suggestions?

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Guide question

Post by BB144 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:49 pm

I've got one or two rods that do this. Other than being slightly annoying, I don't think it will be a problem.

I've heard of some people sending rods back for replacements, but I don't see the point if it isn't going to affect the rod's performance. Unless of course is extremely loud, in which case, that would bug the crap out of me enough to send it back, lol.

I'm hoping for more insight, because I don't think it will affect the rod in any way, but would like to hear from others.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:24 am

Thats fine and its common.

Unless you have issues with guides moving, water getting under the wraps, etc, you'll be best off leaving well enough alone.

You've got a really flexible rod blank, a marginally flexible wrap, and a really rigid guide, trying to act as one unit. There is going to be give there.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

afterbass
Angler
Angler

Post by afterbass » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:04 pm

Dude.......I am so glad you posted this. I have a couple of rods that do this and it was driving me CRAZY. Now I know I am not the only tackle OCDer.

Heavy Action
Angler
Angler

Post by Heavy Action » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:02 pm

Thank you guys, especially Mattman, always nice to hear from a experienced rod builder.

tracker01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tracker01 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:10 am

Me too. I have been on the fence as to wheather I should return the rod or not. Guess I'll just go fish'in.