Who knows better? KVD or Clunn?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
poker_lamina
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Who knows better? KVD or Clunn?

Post by poker_lamina » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:39 pm

RIK wrote:I think the answer is they're both correct, but what they're correct about isn't which is better, it's which suits their style and preferences. I think being aware of one's own tendencies and fishing style is really overlooked, and KVD vs. Clunn's answer to this question is a really good example of two guys who clearly are aware of it and account for it.
Yes, both of them knows how to adjust and then get compensated for the big bags at the end of it all. KVD will beat out Clunn any day though.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:16 am

Wonder if line availability has something to do with it also, figure RC came up through the ranks in the earlier days when there was mono and...well thicker mono, basically I guess. KVD's learning curve days started to see more co/tripolymers, and then braid, Fluor, etc... Obviously both have access to anything now, but part of the mind-set might include what they honed thier skills with in earlier days...

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:33 pm

poker_lamina wrote:
RIK wrote:I think the answer is they're both correct, but what they're correct about isn't which is better, it's which suits their style and preferences. I think being aware of one's own tendencies and fishing style is really overlooked, and KVD vs. Clunn's answer to this question is a really good example of two guys who clearly are aware of it and account for it.
Yes, both of them knows how to adjust and then get compensated for the big bags at the end of it all. KVD will beat out Clunn any day though.
Clunn beat KVD head to head in Ultimate Match Fishing. :big grin:

Steve Williams
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steve Williams » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:22 pm

no one has mentioned the difference in hooks. the kvd mustad triple grips are not a heavy wire hook. they are 1x hooks with a fine point and thin wire. it does not require a powerful set to stick them in. the clun baits come with heavy wire daiichi death trap hooks as do all the lucky craft baits. they are a thick, heavy wire hook made to extract fish from heavy cover. they require a little more pressure to set. also, Clunn cranks with mono if i remember right which has a lot of stretch and requires more power on long casts. KVD cranks with fluoro. while it has nearly the same stretch as most high quality copolymers it doesn't stretch as much as mono and the density allows him to feel the fish before he would with mono.

so my thoughts say that KVD's rod compensate for the added sensitivity, less stretch and allows for a good hookset. Clunn's rod compensate for the added stretch and larger hooks.

i prefer a heavy action glass rod rod with squarebills but i am no expert. once i changed from graphite, the hook to land ratio went through the roof. i don't mean to sound cocky, but i lose very few fish on squarebills. that is also why kvd is fishing a composite rod. before the composite rod, he fished the old quantum eglass rods. they had a red/mohagony blank and were eglass. glass tip absorbs the fish's head shaking and runs better than the graphite does regardless of what anyone says, it just does. back in the day when Clunn was winning everything, he was cranking with a daiwa glass rod or a fenglass rod.

as for who knows better, if the paydays were as high in Clunn's prime as they are now, they'd probably look pretty comparable. they are both great anglers but right now, KVD has no equal. Clunn has also won a couple of US opens which as most folks will attest, is the toughest tournament in the game to win. the conditions on the lake out there make just staying mentally in the tournament GRUELING much less catching anything.

just my thoughts, hope it helps.

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:18 pm

Both KVD & Clunn are BASS gods. =D> KVD & Rick Clunn take different approaches with the same result, I think they both know what works best for them and their fishing styles. Personally I would like to sit down with the 2 of them and have a discussion about equipment and their approaches.

Steve Williams
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steve Williams » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:14 pm

bstuckey wrote:Both KVD & Clunn are BASS gods. =D> KVD & Rick Clunn take different approaches with the same result, I think they both know what works best for them and their fishing styles. Personally I would like to sit down with the 2 of them and have a discussion about equipment and their approaches.
that was the great thing about the old BASS University that they used to put on during the offseason. I saw KVD, Grigsby, Brauer, Rich Tauber, Klein, Ike, Hite, Rowland, Fritts, Cochran, DAvis, and several other top pros. They all would hang around and talk tackle, why they used certain things, etc. and I got to see several baits before they ever made the market. I wish they still had that going. It was like a $100 for two days and 8 hours with 6 pros and was awesome.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:25 pm

LilMofo wrote:Obviously kvd knows better...
rick clunn knew better.....past tense.

Thats why kvd in on top of the world not clunn.
took the words right outta my mouth...when it comes to fishing, it's not like basketball or football where age will take away ur life on the field, and in this case, the water...so i would definitely have to say kvd...the man just isn't human

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:27 pm

Tokugawa wrote:
poker_lamina wrote:
Clunn beat KVD head to head in Ultimate Match Fishing. :big grin:
kvd let him win cause he respects his elder :big grin:

aavery2
Angler
Angler

Post by aavery2 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:19 am

You gottta go with KVD, no one has been able to touch this guy. However it would be hard to ignore a piece of advice from either.