Which Dobyns for Jerks/top water/shallow cranks?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
dan-k
Angler
Angler

Which Dobyns for Jerks/top water/shallow cranks?

Post by dan-k » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:27 am

As the title says; "Which Dobyns for Jerks/top water/shallow cranks?" I already have a 705CB Glass and love it, I just need something to fill the gap now. It will be paired with a super tuned Shimano Citica and 10 lb. P-Line flouroclear.

ETA: The top water lures I am talking about are Ricos, small spooks, gunfish, sammys, etc.....

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Which Dobyns for Jerks/top water/shallow cranks?

Post by OhioChamp183 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:00 am

sounds like you want something a little lighter in power than the 705CB glass.

I'd say a 684CB or 704CB :whistle:

aznevolution8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aznevolution8 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:01 pm

how does your super tuned Citica perform? what did you do to it to super tune it? any advice... I'm debating if i should get one.

dan-k
Angler
Angler

Post by dan-k » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:20 pm

aznevolution8 wrote:how does your super tuned Citica perform? what did you do to it to super tune it? any advice... I'm debating if i should get one.
I have three Citicas which I super tuned. I love them more than my factory Curados!!!! I start by disassembling them, add a bearing to the drive shaft (replacing the bushing), flush the spool bearings with carb/choke cleaner then add Shimano oil, polish some keys spots with a dremel, then add a Curado spool to top them off. I have played with the orange seal bearings, but with the Curado spools I just backlash too much. With the Citica spool and OS bearing however, they are casting machines.

Here is what $$$ I have into my Citicas: Reel= $90 Shipped-eBay; Bearing $6-8 shipped-Boca Bearings; Curado spool $35 shipped-Sea Isle Tackle. Not a bad reel for $132 and some elbow grease!!! I get the 6.X:1 all around ratio, left hand retrieve, and the color matches my Dobyns Champions PERFECTLY!!

aznevolution8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aznevolution8 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:00 pm

Can you give me the site where you got your bearings from? I might just go with a tuned Citica like yours. I have a Dobyns Champion 705 CB coming in on thursday.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:06 pm

aznevolution8 wrote:Can you give me the site where you got your bearings from? I might just go with a tuned Citica like yours. I have a Dobyns Champion 705 CB coming in on thursday.
Boca beraings.com
I don't know why you would want to do that when you can buy a curado for $143 tyd

dan-k
Angler
Angler

Post by dan-k » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:28 pm

johnD wrote:
aznevolution8 wrote:Can you give me the site where you got your bearings from? I might just go with a tuned Citica like yours. I have a Dobyns Champion 705 CB coming in on thursday.
Boca beraings.com
I don't know why you would want to do that when you can buy a curado for $143 tyd
When you want a lefty shimano e reel in left hand that is not green or 7:1!!! Plus, my tuned citicas are much nicer than my stock curados, with the exception of the handle bearings of course. I plan on tuning my curados before long as well.

There is a link to Boca bearings on this forum.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:38 am

I would really like to see a Dobyns casting stick in the 6' range for topwater work.

joejoe83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joejoe83 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:46 am

I use a DX702 for top water, jerks and shallow cranks.

It is rated as a medium light but I really think that it is a medium. The rod has a nice action not too stiff and not too whippy. It is becoming my favorite stick really fast.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:55 am

The 684 is nice for jerks and topwater.

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:28 am

Gone Phishin wrote:I would really like to see a Dobyns casting stick in the 6' range for topwater work.
Amen brother!

aznevolution8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aznevolution8 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:58 am

Those Abec 7 orange seal boca bearings for the Citica E are $30 bucks for 2 of them? Kinda expensive...but hopefully they are good. How do you exactly replace these upgraded bearings to the stock bearings?

dan-k
Angler
Angler

Post by dan-k » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:22 am

aznevolution8 wrote:Those Abec 7 orange seal boca bearings for the Citica E are $30 bucks for 2 of them? Kinda expensive...but hopefully they are good. How do you exactly replace these upgraded bearings to the stock bearings?
Try flushing the stock bearings and re-oiling them before getting the ABEC 7 OS.

TeamDaiwaRick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by TeamDaiwaRick » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:16 am

684CB

dan-k
Angler
Angler

Post by dan-k » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:40 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I went to my local Dobyns dealer today and fondled the 685CB and the 704CB. They did not have the 684CB in stock. I can say that the Dobyns graphite CB rods do not feel like other graphite CB rods I have used. They felt more like a fast action until I bent the rod tips down, then I could see the moderate action. I think the 684CB will fit the bill perfectly!!!