Verdict on the water ...

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Verdict on the water ...

Post by Johnny A » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:23 am

After a severe case of cabin fever, I was finally able to get out on the water with my new Abu Garcia Verdict VCS69-4 spinning rod. It was matched with a Certate 2500 and Varivas Ultra Finesse braided line and a 1/32oz Imakatsu Rock Vader jig and a Jackall 2.8" I-Shad. Sorry for the "bass pro" sponsor style shout out but I wanted everybody to know what I was starting with. This rod was paid for 100% out of my own pocket.

First of my complaints:
1. Could they find a more annoying spot to place the hook holder? I fish with 3 fingers in front of the reel stem and my thumb lands directly on it.
2. The locking nut on the reel seat shifted a bit until I tightened it with all the strength I could muster.

Now that that's out of the way, I think the rod overall is well made and uses acceptable components. I wasn't sure about the EHS, Extendable Handle System, at first but it actually works and not just for transporting the rod back and forth to the lake.
The handle on the 6'9" rod was a bit long for casting and was getting hung up between my side and my inner elbow. I took a couple of minutes to make an adjustment and it's absolutely perfect now. The rod has maintained it's balance because as the butt of the rod slipped forward, it condensed the weight further to the reel seat. If you're familiar with Megabass rods, you know some of the handle lengths are short in comparison to the whole rod. You get a similar effect.
The rod's sensitivity is good. Didn't get any fish but I could detect grass and weeds quite well. It's rated for 1/8 to 1/2 oz baits, so my lure was a bit lighter than the recommendation but casting acceptable. I'm actually beginning to think those people who claim Abu rods are overpowered for the ratings are just used to noodly rods. My Spin Cobra, rated for 1/16-1/2 oz lures, MH w/Fast action is comparable.
I'll leave it at that for the time being except a few pictures upcoming and more exact measurement on rod length and handle.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Verdict on the water ...

Post by 21farms » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:06 am

thanks for sharing your impressions. the position of the hook keeper on TOP of the rod is indeed curious. any thoughts on the exposed, all-metal buttcap?
Johnny A wrote:I'm actually beginning to think those people who claim Abu rods are overpowered for the ratings are just used to noodly rods.
i have the 7' med-fast/medium and the 7'3" fast/medium-heavy casting rods and i think they're rated appropriately too. the action of the 7' med-fast/medium is a tad faster than "medium fast" IMHO but i think the power rating is right on.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:36 pm

The bizarrely placed hook keeper helped me lose interest in the same rod in the Veritas line. My thumb would have been right on top of it with three fingers ahead of the reel stem.

The 6'9" spin Veritas is rated ML, but was definitely a M in comparison to the considerable number of M and ML spinning rods I own.

On the Veritas, the back of the reel seat was only 1/2" further from the rod tip than on a 6'6" spinning rod of mine, so it had the same effective casting length for one-handed casting and a long butt to get in the way. I am guessing that on the Verdict, the same is true; one could shorten the Verdict's butt length, but not lengthen the effective length ahead of the reel. Have you compared that to any other rods?

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:46 pm

Bronzeye wrote:The bizarrely placed hook keeper helped me lose interest in the same rod in the Veritas line. My thumb would have been right on top of it with three fingers ahead of the reel stem.

The 6'9" spin Veritas is rated ML, but was definitely a M in comparison to the considerable number of M and ML spinning rods I own.

On the Veritas, the back of the reel seat was only 1/2" further from the rod tip than on a 6'6" spinning rod of mine, so it had the same effective casting length for one-handed casting and a long butt to get in the way. I am guessing that on the Verdict, the same is true; one could shorten the Verdict's butt length, but not lengthen the effective length ahead of the reel. Have you compared that to any other rods?
The 6'9" Veritas spin is a bit of an odd duck with it's moderate fast taper. That's a cranking taper not a dropshot taper. I felt the action was spongey or springy like a rubber band, not taut.

I didn't compare the spinning rod but I have the flippin' rod and compared handle lengths to the Steez 7'1" (difference is + 1/2" for the Steez) the Megabass Aaron Marten's 7'2" flippin' rod' also has a short type handle.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:58 am

A few non-action shots:

1. The annoying hook holder.

2. Fully extended rear handle.

3. Slightly retracted handle, about 1 1/2".

4. IK RV jig.
Attachments
hook holder.JPG
hook holder.JPG (84.23 KiB) Viewed 5266 times
handle extended.JPG
handle extended.JPG (55.98 KiB) Viewed 5266 times
handle retracted.JPG
handle retracted.JPG (44.19 KiB) Viewed 5266 times
jig.JPG
jig.JPG (30.76 KiB) Viewed 5266 times

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Verdict on the water ...ROD LENGTHS

Post by E73Bass » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:41 pm

The specified rod length is with the handle in the fully extended position subtract 3" when fully collapsed.

So a 6-6 rod can be a 6-3 rod.

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:59 am

was someone high when they decided to place that hookkeeper? That's a big a booboo as Gander's Ultimate Titanium rods having the hookkeeper on backwards...

Tomhdez
Angler
Angler

Post by Tomhdez » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:52 pm

I read (somewhere) that they placed the hook holder there to eliminate line slap on casts, and thus increase casting distance. Thanks for the review as I'm looking to get this rod in a few days.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:23 am

Tomhdez wrote: hook holder there to eliminate line slap
As if.

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:12 am

Thanks for the info Johnny!

The rod looks cool, although I'm not a bad on split spinning reel seats. I think that hook keeper would be annoying for me as well... The adjustable grip is neat, although it's just another thing that could break, and while it changes the length of the rod, it doesn't change the effective length that you're fishing with.

How does the sensitivity compare to the Veritas with its nanotechnology?

As for it being overpowered, I've only heard this about certain rods. I've heard the longer 7'3"+ Vendettas are overpowered, and I believe my 7'6" MH is overpowered (ignoring the typo 1/2-3oz lure weight, which I believe they've fixed).
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:11 am

BB144 wrote: ...
How does the sensitivity compare to the Veritas with its nanotechnology?
I found the sensitivity to be comparable but I just couldn't get past the different actions. A medium-fast, ML tapered rod is quite odd feeling. It's like there's a lag between what you're trying to do with the rod and how long it takes for the rod to actually respond.
Now, I'm technically not drop-shotting, I'm doing a variation on wacky worming and flick-shaking, so tension is necessary and quick reaction is imperative. Maybe the Veritas could be perfect for that technique.

PABASSIN
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by PABASSIN » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:32 am

I am debating wether to buy the veritas rods or spend the extra money and get the verdicts. I just sold my 11 vendettas and some mojos and looking to upgrade. I get them at a good price, so i am wondering if it is worth overall to spend little extra for the verdicts. I am looking at both the spinning and the casting for all different techniques and presentations. I may just mix in match both lines depending on the technique. Thanks

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:07 pm

Got a bit more time on the water with this rod and my initial reaction is quite positive. I was able to connect with a few fish with the rod. One of those being a 20" inch chain pickerel, which gave quite a fight on Varivas 15lb braid.
The bait for all fish was an Imakatsu Rock Vader jig in 1/32 and 1/16 head and the 2.8" Jackall I-Shad. The rod is spec'ed out @ 1/8-1/2oz baits. I think they are dreaming on that top end. I had a 1/4 oz jig with a light trailer and it was straining a bit. On the lighter end, the 1/32 oz jig w/I-Shad was near the 1/16 or 3/32 oz range. It handled a light bait and delicate presentation with flying colors.
Pickerel in the 20" range are normally quite aggressive when they strike, especially with the cooler water temperatures of early Spring. This fish was an exception to the rule and at first I thought it was a bass with the sluggish light bite. I set the hook and the fish took off like a rocket. It fought well and it took several minutes for me to get it to the boat but I never doubted I was in control. I did have a concern about the braid being cut on the pickerel's sharp teeth.
The next experience was confirmed the sensitivity of the rod. I was again using the Rock Vader jig, this time in 1/16 oz but the same size I-Shad trailer. I skipped the jig toward small bluff and let it fall. Within a few seconds I could feel the fish take in the bait. I set the hook and was rewarded with a bass just short of being a keeper.
I'll keep the updating throughout the season...