Dobyns vs St-Croix and the winner is....

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.

Dobyns vs St-Croix and the winner is ...

Dobyns
65%
St-Croix
35%

Total votes: 83

Bass Oreno
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Dobyns vs St-Croix and the winner is....

Post by Bass Oreno » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:02 am

Dobyns
St-Croix

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Dobyns vs St-Croix and the winner is....

Post by JDLaman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:12 am

I don't see an option for both. ;)

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:44 pm

JDLaman wrote:I don't see an option for both. ;)
X2 exactly, I own both as well as some G. Loomis, I personally can't say which is better, I do know that I like some of each companies rod better than others. The TT way is buy and try them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :big grin:

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:09 am

Have some Avids for spinning, but no Dobyns so can't really compare. Avid's are sure nice though. Some reports of Dobyns and QC issues, at least that is what I recall reading pre-doomsday on TT. Can't say for sure I've never held one. Dobyns seems like a nice guy, he's on BigBassBattle show all the time with the Lake Fork Tackle gang...

Canuckbass
Angler
Angler

Post by Canuckbass » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:03 am

Changing all my St. Croix to Dobyns, perfectly balanced rods...

tracker01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tracker01 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:14 am

If I really, really had to pick, it would be a Croix. That said, Dobyns are only starting to show here in Pa. Got to hold one at our Cabelas, but thats it so far.

Chris Vickers
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Chris Vickers » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:32 am

Dobyns all the way baby

PS It may me re register again . Im not a 1st time poster
Last edited by Chris Vickers on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dobyns Rods
Lews Reels
Humminbird/MinnKota

BASSMAN8987
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by BASSMAN8987 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:23 pm

Chris Vickers wrote:Dobyns all the way baby
+2 :big grin:

jpav121
Angler
Angler

Post by jpav121 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:20 pm

Own both...slowly switching everything over to Dobyns.
Trick 'em & stick 'em

gundog
Angler
Angler

Post by gundog » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:39 am

I got my first Dobyns this year a 702sf :D Im hoping its everything that it hiped up to be. It looks nice and feels great with a stradic fi. I drove 21/2 hour to cabellas to touch one of these rods and they only had the champion's. They looked cheap the cork was crappy and the guides were a little crooked. I went home empty and ordered a 702DXsf and it came in with the first guide was bent and the epoxy was cracking. ](*,) : I sent it back and got a new one and it looks great. :D So until I fish with them I wont be able to compare but if I can compare with looks and quality control it would have to be a ST.CROIX

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:18 am

i really wanna try the new st croix with the nano resin technology

North Branch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by North Branch » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:26 am

I have a St. Crox LTB and a LE (both spinning rods), and I really like them. So much so, that I'm having a custom St. Croix spinning rod being built on an Xtreme blank with the new nano technology... can't wait to get it.

With that said, those Dobyns must be great rods to get such high marks from so many anglers.

EDIT: Wish I had a comparable Dobyns so I could vote in this thread. :mrgreen:

fishindrummer217
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishindrummer217 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:05 am

gundog wrote:I got my first Dobyns this year a 702sf :D Im hoping its everything that it hiped up to be. It looks nice and feels great with a stradic fi. I drove 21/2 hour to cabellas to touch one of these rods and they only had the champion's. They looked cheap the cork was crappy and the guides were a little crooked. I went home empty and ordered a 702DXsf and it came in with the first guide was bent and the epoxy was cracking. ](*,) : I sent it back and got a new one and it looks great. :D So until I fish with them I wont be able to compare but if I can compare with looks and quality control it would have to be a ST.CROIX
From what I have read on here (and I read every post about dobyns rods) I seems there is a pattern. I practically never heard anything about defects in the dobyns rods until they started being offered through Cabelas. You are one of a few people who have said they got a bad one from cabelas. I am not saying anything bad about dobyns I just wonder if something is going on here with cabelas or dobyns, I know that cabelas just recently started offering the rods.

North Branch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by North Branch » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:51 am

Last year I picked up a Quantum Superlite spinning rod from Cabelas when they were getting rid of them. They listed for around $230.00, and we're on sale for 79.95... so I got one for my nephew for a present... the guides at the tip were crooked. :( I kept the rod, as I figured he would never notice... or care, and I was right.

Moral of the story(s)... maybe Cabela's buys all "seconds". :lol:

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:06 am

I wasn't going to vote initially. It is no secret that I'm a Dobyns fan. I did eventually vote for Dobyns because that is by far the majority of rods I own.

IMO, this poll isn't really what I would call fair. St Croix makes rods for all kinds of fishing: flyfishing - both fresh & salt, saltwater specific sticks, trout & of course bass rods. Dobyns makes bass rods. Sure, you could use them for other things but really, they're bass sticks.

I used bass rods for companion. Both companies make rods with lines @ different price points. If I look at the price points, I would compare the Dobyns Extremes to the St Croix Elites, Dobyns Champion to the St Croix LTB & the Dobyns Savvy to the St Croix Avid. (Yeah yeah I know, I didn't use the Mojo line. They are priced cheaper & don't have a lifetime warranty. The Avid fishes better to me anyway :) )

Going a little OT, when thinking about the point of diminishing returns, if I'm being honest, I gotta say that the Savvy & the Avid lines are really the best buys. They might not be the fanciest but they are sensitive, reasonably light & fish pretty darn well.

Anyway, as I said, I ended up voting for Dobyns. The thing is, its like saying which beer is better, Guinness or New Castle? Sometimes one is better with a meal vs the other. It really depends on what the meal is.