Dobyns vs St-Croix and the winner is....

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.

Dobyns vs St-Croix and the winner is ...

Dobyns
65%
St-Croix
35%

Total votes: 83

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Dobyns vs St-Croix and the winner is....

Post by ogrich31 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:43 am

I voted for Dobyns but if my fishing partner was voting he'd go St Croix. It's personal preference to the majority of us because we'd favor one over another. And from the rods I've held/used, Dobyns rods are much better balanced compared to St. Croix rods.

Canuckbass
Angler
Angler

Post by Canuckbass » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:36 pm

civicrr wrote:Going a little OT, when thinking about the point of diminishing returns, if I'm being honest, I gotta say that the Savvy & the Avid lines are really the best buys. They might not be the fanciest but they are sensitive, reasonably light & fish pretty darn well..
Very well put, the Savvy Series is a well priced rod for that quality. Avids are very nice rods as well, I haven't held one for a couple of years to compare closely.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:21 pm

if this poll was for dobyns vs gloomis, i wonder if the voting would be closer

Mr SwimJig
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mr SwimJig » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:29 am

I voted for St Croix, do to the fact it is the rod manufacture I have fished the most and Dobyns rods are just starting to make it here to the mid-west. The local Cabelas just got them in and they look very nice, but have never got to try one out.

Hopefully that will change in the next couple of weeks.

SJ

chasiubao73
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chasiubao73 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:38 am

I like both equally :D

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:36 am

chasiubao73 wrote:I like both equally :D

=D> \:D/ me too \:D/ =D>

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:46 pm

Dobyns, and I am not going to explain myself :lol:
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

blakjack23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by blakjack23 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:13 am

Like Civic said, thats really a hard question to answer just putting one company as a whole up against another. But since that seems to be the question, I'm going with Croix, because they offer full grip rods in pretty much every length they carry. I'm not a fan of the split grips. With that said, I did buy some Dobyns to see what all the buzz was about and they do balance nicely. I still have about 5 more weeks before I'll get on open water with them though.

SteveDB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SteveDB » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:29 am

Anyway, as I said, I ended up voting for Dobyns. The thing is, its like saying which beer is better, Guinness or New Castle? Sometimes one is better with a meal vs the other. It really depends on what the meal is.[/quote]

Well put. I went Croix myself but own both. I`d choose the Legend Extreme for my "feel" baits. Contrary to a lot of people I love the ACS reel seats and the smaller cork on the split grip. Got short fat paws and they fit perfect. The sensitivity is great. On the other hand I like full cork and no fore grip for moving baits and chose Dobyns Champions for those.