What do you look for in a rod?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What do you look for in a rod?

Post by Somerdink » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:28 am

Very good points Civicrr. I also like a good customer service in a rod company. and all the other points that you have listed.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:42 am

This is actually a hard question for me to answer and I don't really have an answer because I like to stick to one particular brand. But I really look for a rod that I can use for many different applications (most versatile rod for that particular thing I bought it for) because I mainly fish from shore. It has to have a lifetime warranty on it. The lighter the better but it has to be sensitive as well as balanced. And I don't care as much about looks but I will never use an orange rod.. Lol

Pretty much I want the best of the best.. Lol. Price does not matter but I haven't gone custom yet. Maybe one day, maybe one day..

Derek777
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Derek777 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:05 pm

tough question, but a good one.
when i look at rods im usually looking for use in a specific technique so that narrows it down to start.
i dont differentiate between manufacturers when im looking. ill try anything as long as it fits the purpose and is built well.
i have had customs built, had jdm rods and had domestics.
i look for an overall esthetic balance for the rod, build quality, balance, fit, feel.
i dont mind trying new technologies (got a micro guide spinning rod built a few years ago when it was pretty much a japan only thing) just but also dont mind old school as well (glass), and the blending of schools of thought (ie: spiral wrap guides from saltwater)
if i have to choose between two equal rods, ill usually choose the smaller or lesser known company as i like to support small business.

chasiubao73
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chasiubao73 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:04 am

Tough question. I would say for me:

1)Action of the rod for my intended purpose as there are many manufacturer variances on say extra fast
2)Sensitivity
3)Balance. Balance isn't that big of a deal to me for tip down applications. For tip down applications, I place more emphasis on the weight of the rod.
4)Warranty and Customer Service
5)Aesthetics
6)Price. Given the fact that I don't usually pay full retail. Price, as it applies here, means is this rod worth it or is the money better put towards a custom?