Cumara vs. Champion

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Cumara vs. Champion

Post by Fat-G » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:09 pm

Just wanted to ask how the two rods compare sensitivity wise. I have a Cumara CUC72MH and I love it! I have a Curado e7 strapped up right now and I'm using it for soft plastics and jigs. There's already a thread on here I started about Dobyns rods, but I wanted someone to compare the Cumara to the Champion series in terms of sensitivity and balance. Specifically the 734c FH.

I want my Dobyns to be versitile and well-balanced. I'll use it for throwing bigger plastics and jigs, lighter stuff on my Cumara. When I say "bigger", I mean 1/2 oz. jigs, 1/2 oz. Mop Jigs with Rage Lobsters, Rage Thumper Worms, and 3/8 oz. + t-rigs, pitched around hard cover. It might see frog duty as well if I don't feel like carrying around the frog rig.

Thanks guys!

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Cumara vs. Champion

Post by Fat-G » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:37 pm

Just as a reference, When it comes to rods, I would rather be overpowered than underpowered.

I like a stiff rod. Sorry I had too, LOL.

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:53 pm

I have a Champ 733C and it works great for the applications you listed for your Cumara. I believe the 734 (or 744 if you want to want to get a DX) will work great for 1/2oz jigs, heavy t-rigs, and even the occasional frog.

I haven't used a Cumara, so I cannot compare sensitivity between the two rods. Between the Cumara you have an the 733/734, the Cumara is going to be a lighter rod, but the Dobyns is the more balanced of the two. Personally, I don't mind the little extra weight for a rod that balances well.

The full grip is the way to go for these heavier techniques IMO. The rear section of the grip is just too small on the Cumara and the split grip Champion. While it doesn't bug me as much as it did, I do wish I would've gotten the FH version of the 733. Or I wish they made it more like the split grips on the DX series rods.

Another thing, that may or may not matter to you, is the reel seats. I don't mind the split seat on the Cumara, but will take a Fuji ECS seat over any other reel seat most of the time. With certain reels, the split seat just feels odd to me. But I'm assuming, since you already have a Cumara, you like or don't mind the seat.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:34 am

***** Post Deleted *****
Last edited by Mattman on Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for abusive and inflammatory comments

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:38 am

BB144 wrote:I have a Champ 733C and it works great for the applications you listed for your Cumara. I believe the 734 (or 744 if you want to want to get a DX) will work great for 1/2oz jigs, heavy t-rigs, and even the occasional frog.

I haven't used a Cumara, so I cannot compare sensitivity between the two rods. Between the Cumara you have an the 733/734, the Cumara is going to be a lighter rod, but the Dobyns is the more balanced of the two. Personally, I don't mind the little extra weight for a rod that balances well.

The full grip is the way to go for these heavier techniques IMO. The rear section of the grip is just too small on the Cumara and the split grip Champion. While it doesn't bug me as much as it did, I do wish I would've gotten the FH version of the 733. Or I wish they made it more like the split grips on the DX series rods.

Another thing, that may or may not matter to you, is the reel seats. I don't mind the split seat on the Cumara, but will take a Fuji ECS seat over any other reel seat most of the time. With certain reels, the split seat just feels odd to me. But I'm assuming, since you already have a Cumara, you like or don't mind the seat.

Owned the Cumara 7'2" MH, & a Dobyns 734C & I agree with absolutely everything mentioned in this post!
:big grin:

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fat-G » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:27 am

***** Post Deleted *****
Last edited by Mattman on Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for being off topic

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fat-G » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:30 am

OhioChamp183 wrote:
BB144 wrote:I have a Champ 733C and it works great for the applications you listed for your Cumara. I believe the 734 (or 744 if you want to want to get a DX) will work great for 1/2oz jigs, heavy t-rigs, and even the occasional frog.

Owned the Cumara 7'2" MH, & a Dobyns 734C & I agree with absolutely everything mentioned in this post!
:big grin:
Thanks dude, that's exactly what I needed to hear!

Steve Williams
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steve Williams » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:42 am

I've owned and fished both. Both rods are plenty sensitive. The Dobyns balances better to me with a 6-8oz reel which lets me feel more bites over a longer period because the stress is taken off my wrists.

I am probably one of the few people who had a bad experience with the Cumaras. I guess I am hard on my equipment and when I set the hook, I lean into them. I never had any complaints on the fast action cumara rods but I broke multiple 7'2" MHXF rods. I thought both 7'2" versions were a little tip heavy. I never broke one of the MH rods but did not like the foam handles on them. I would have preferred Hypalon as it is a much better material than foam.

The Dobyns 734C is a workhorse and is powered between the cumara 7'2" MH and the 7'2" MHXF rods. It can do a lot of things well like texas rigs, jigs, horny toads, senkos, spinnerbaits, etc. It has softer tip than the 7'2" MHXF Cumara. It is not a heavy cover jig or frog rod to me as I like a little more "power" in my rods to. If you have the 7'2" MH Cumara, I'd look at getting the 735 Dobyns. It is stiffer than both of the rods you mentioned and will handle the bigger jigs and frog duty well. I think you'd be happier with the 735.

A note on the split reel seats. If you watched the classic coverage and saw the Todd Faircloth's reels keep coming off, I think it was because the split reel seat on the skeleton series could not handle the hook setting pressure/torque. I may be wrong though. Either that or maybe he didn't have them anchored down. It happened twice on film. I have had that happen once on a custom rod with split reel seat. Mine happened because of where the back of the reel seat was cut to split the seat. I think they took to much out of the reel seat and it busted.

Just my thoughts, hope it helps.

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fat-G » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:52 am

Excellent information Steve. When you said it is powered between the CUC72MH and CUCX72MH, the Cumara with the Extra-Fast is the stiffer rod correct? I really like the action that my Cumara has. I wanted a Champion that had a similar action the my Cumara, just able to handle the bigger and heavier contact lures.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:12 am

***** Post Deleted *****
Last edited by Mattman on Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for abusive and inflammatory comments

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fat-G » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:52 am

***** Post Deleted *****
Last edited by Mattman on Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for being off topic

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:26 am

Pegasus wrote:
Fat-G wrote:Just wanted to ask how the two rods compare sensitivity wise. I have a Cumara CUC72MH and I love it! I have a Curado e7 strapped up right now and I'm using it for soft plastics and jigs. There's already a thread on here I started about Dobyns rods, but I wanted someone to compare the Cumara to the Champion series in terms of sensitivity and balance. Specifically the 734c FH.

I want my Dobyns to be versitile and well-balanced. I'll use it for throwing bigger plastics and jigs, lighter stuff on my Cumara. When I say "bigger", I mean 1/2 oz. jigs, 1/2 oz. Mop Jigs with Rage Lobsters, Rage Thumper Worms, and 3/8 oz. + t-rigs, pitched around hard cover. It might see frog duty as well if I don't feel like carrying around the frog rig.

Thanks guys!
quote]]
Pegasus wrote:
Fat-G wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
Fat-G wrote:Just wanted to ask how the two rods compare sensitivity wise. I have a Cumara CUC72MH and I love it! I have a Curado e7 strapped up right now and I'm using it for soft plastics and jigs. There's already a thread on here I started about Dobyns rods, but I wanted someone to compare the Cumara to the Champion series in terms of sensitivity and balance. Specifically the 734c FH.

Thanks guys!

Fat-G, don't know anything about the Cumara, I know they are good rods and have a good following. Pegasas; The purpose of TT is open and civil discussion for fishing enthusiasts. Fat-G; Keep posting any questions that you may have and respond to posts if you have insight that may be helpful to others. Pegasas: Please be civil, there is no room for your previous posts on this TT post.
Last edited by Mattman on Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to remove abusive quotes

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:05 am

There is nothing wrong with posting questions on Tackle Tour, I thought that was the point of this forum. We can't all go out and buy every rod out there and try then out for ourselves to see witch one works out for us. I value the opinion of others on here to help me narrow down my search for a rod or reel on here. Then I save up my money, buy it, go fish with it then form my own opinion about the gear. I have been only fishing seriously for about 3 1/2 years since I bought my boat on craigs list and have learned a lot from TT members. I would have never heard of Dobyns rods if not for TT. I am picky about what I buy, so if they were not great rods they wouldn't be on my boat. By the way I have 3 Gloomis rods, 1 Shimano, 1 Falcon, 2 St Croix LTB, 1 powell, and 4 Dobyns rods.

So, Fat G you ask all the questions you want, and get a well informed idea about a rod etc before you go to the store, so you don't have to waste money buying a rod thats not right for you.

By the way, you can fish a rod for 90 days from Cabelas to decide if you like it. If you don't like it, clean it up and take it back and get your money back or get something else, they have a generous return policy.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:31 am

Fat-G wrote:Excellent information Steve. When you said it is powered between the CUC72MH and CUCX72MH, the Cumara with the Extra-Fast is the stiffer rod correct? I really like the action that my Cumara has. I wanted a Champion that had a similar action the my Cumara, just able to handle the bigger and heavier contact lures.
The 734 will have a similar action to the Cumara that you have. It will be a more powerful stick. Not a ton more powerful but definitely noticeably more powerful . If you go to the 735, the action will be a little faster. Since you said hard cover, I think you'd be fine with the 734. Fishing those lures in heavy mats, you'd really want to go to the 5 power.

I think that the Cumara is actually lighter in weight but when fishing, I prefer the feel of the 734. Sensitivity wise, I think it is so close I'd declare a draw.

Steve Williams
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steve Williams » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:32 am

Fat-G wrote:Excellent information Steve. When you said it is powered between the CUC72MH and CUCX72MH, the Cumara with the Extra-Fast is the stiffer rod correct? I really like the action that my Cumara has. I wanted a Champion that had a similar action the my Cumara, just able to handle the bigger and heavier contact lures.
Looks like I missed a lot of posts on here...

On the rods, the 734C is more powerful than the 72MH and very close to the 7'2"MHXF to me. It has similar backbone but more give in the tip than the 72MHXF. It does very well with 3/8-1/2oz jigs in open water and moderate cover as stated above. However, you said you liked a "stiffer" tip. That is why I thought you'd like the 735. It has more give in the tip than the 72MHXF but it has more power in the tip and the butt section. It is hard to explain without watching the rods flex.