Daiwa Zillion Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Daiwa Zillion Rods

Post by damian_megabass » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:16 am

Does anyone have a decent review of the Zillion rods? Maybe own one and give me some insight on them? I just placed an order for a great looking reel and I don't want it to be sitting on a "cheaper" rod. My budget is going to be $300. Was going to put this on a MB rod but I can justify spending the same amount on the rod as I did on the reel. :lol:

I know TT reviewed this rod but maybe something a tad bit more in depth. This will be my major all around setup. Top/Jerk/Crank/jigging. Rod I am looking at is 7' hvy / fast taper.

Any advice is appreciated. :big grin:
I will NEVER sell another 3:16 swimbait again!

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Zillion Rods

Post by JerryC » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:47 am

I have 2 zillion rods. 1 is 6'9" mh & 1 is 7' h.. i love both of them equily.. the quality, craftmanship & the price for all of it. Although i feel the rod is on the heavy side, they are still in my top 3 favorite rod category.
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:56 am

I have the 7' MH. It's a very nice rod, plenty sensitive & light weight. It's a fast-xfast action and that's really my only gripe with it and really keeps me from using it.

The Zillions fish a little stouter than what they are rated. This MH seems closer in power to most H powered rods. If you were going for an all purpose rod I would take a look at the M or MH power. I would imagine you could lift pianos with the H & XH!!! :lol:

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:22 am

7' heavy for cranking? ... not sure i'd recommend that.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:01 am

Cal wrote:7' heavy for cranking? ... not sure i'd recommend that.
I figured but 1/4 - 1 1/2 oz I can throw my Buzzjets on it too. Maybe I'll consider the MH instead.

fishbum
Angler
Angler

Post by fishbum » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:58 am

I bought two zillions before breaking down and buying a megabass rod. My advice for the lures you want to throw, spring for the megabass.

That being said, the zillions are great rods, but more suited for t-rigs, jigs and other contact type baits. The 7' heavy is one of my most used rods. It is incredibly light and sensitive. It is my go to rod for swim jigs, heavy football jigs and pitching.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:17 am

fishbum wrote:That being said, the zillions are great rods, but more suited for t-rigs, jigs and other contact type baits. The 7' heavy is one of my most used rods. It is incredibly light and sensitive. It is my go to rod for swim jigs, heavy football jigs and pitching.
Yeah i use my 7' Heavy for the exact same thing, except i got a Jackall rod for the flipping.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:41 pm

Hmmm...agreed that the Zillion is better for contact baits. Maybe if you can handle 8'0", the newest Zillion Swimbait might fill the ticket.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:25 am

Got a quote for the MB rods and yeah.....It was as much as my reel....Even though it would look super awsome with my reel I didn't like the non split grip and the the quote I was given wouldn't pass with the wifey. Not to mention, I cannot justfy a rod that expensive being shipped as "standard"

I know there are lots of people who have gotten their MB rods in one pice I think the Overnight shipping gives me a piece of mind from TW. I decided to go with 7 MH / F taper. I think I'm happy with my purchase. :?

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:25 am

damian_megabass wrote:Got a quote for the MB rods and yeah.....It was as much as my reel....Even though it would look super awsome with my reel I didn't like the non split grip and the the quote I was given wouldn't pass with the wifey. Not to mention, I cannot justfy a rod that expensive being shipped as "standard"

I know there are lots of people who have gotten their MB rods in one pice I think the Overnight shipping gives me a piece of mind from TW. I decided to go with 7 MH / F taper. I think I'm happy with my purchase. :?
I have been thinking about buying the Zillion 7 MH/F to replace my Powell 704 for t-rigs. Have been thinking Dobyns 704 also, not sure I can't decide!
Instagram @___bradb

progressive816
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by progressive816 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:31 pm

biggs wrote:
damian_megabass wrote:Got a quote for the MB rods and yeah.....It was as much as my reel....Even though it would look super awsome with my reel I didn't like the non split grip and the the quote I was given wouldn't pass with the wifey. Not to mention, I cannot justfy a rod that expensive being shipped as "standard"

I have been thinking about buying the Zillion 7 MH/F to replace my Powell 704 for t-rigs. Have been thinking Dobyns 704 also, not sure I can't decide!
I bought the Zillion 7mh to replace the powell 704, but havent used the zillion yet
Pb-LMB 6lb7oz

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:50 pm

progressive816 wrote:
biggs wrote:

I bought the Zillion 7mh to replace the powell 704, but havent used the zillion yet
Why haven't you used it yet? Do you like the feel of the zillion? What reel are you going to pair it with?
Instagram @___bradb

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:07 pm

They are VERY stout tip heavy rods.

progressive816
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by progressive816 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:15 pm

Biggs,
I have not used it because I purchased it three weeks ago. I haven't done any fishing since late November. I can't wait though. Jan, Feb, and parts of March drive me crazy. December I can handle because so much goes on during the holiday.

Here's a couple of pics.
Zillion7mhZillion100PA.jpg
Zillion7mhZillion100PA.jpg (51.04 KiB) Viewed 6238 times
Zillion 7'MH with Zillion 100PA
Powell704cSupertunedHSTA.jpg
Powell704cSupertunedHSTA.jpg (48.46 KiB) Viewed 6238 times
Powell 704C with Advantage 153HSTA
Pb-LMB 6lb7oz

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:49 am

For the everlasting quest of data, (needed or not!) here is a Zillion 7' M with a Scorpion 1000XT

RRR (Round Reels Rule!)