Help with $300 Crank stick!!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
EZdoesIT
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Help with $300 Crank stick!!

Post by EZdoesIT » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:25 pm

I have a Revo Winch that i'll be putting 12# mono or 17# fuoro for cranking everything from shallow, med and deep divers as well as lipless cranks too. But I need a good rod to put it on!! So i'm looking for a rod preferably 7'-7'6" that can handle it all. I'd like to spend no more than $300 on this rod.

So please give me your opinions on which crank rod you think is best for $300 or less. And why?

Your help is greatly appeciated!!

EZ

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Help with $300 Crank stick!!

Post by dragon1 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:33 pm

Brought to you courtesy of Otterods...Z not included! :big grin: Less than $300 shipped. Mudhole MHX 907 Blend, SS black concept alconites spiral wrapped right, split cork/EVA/non-foregrip.

"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

EZdoesIT
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by EZdoesIT » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:48 pm

Very nice draggon. What's the action like though if you don't mind me asking? Specs? I'm not too familiar with that blank. What does the blend consist of?

It looks extremely nice though.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:25 pm

This rod is a mod-fast, with an edge to the faster side of the taper...I had a rather long write up on both the Z2020H and this rod when I got them together last Spring 2010, but oh well, eh?

This rod has more bottom backbone than the GLoomis CBR 847 and more casting tip power than the Shimano Cumara Reaction Series 7'11" MHXF (and only slightly more power in the bottom than the 7'11" MHXF from what I can tell). Granted the 7'11" MHXF was the fastest tip and the GLoomis only slightly slower. I wanted a rod that would have a great loading tip to cast lures from 5/16oz up to 1oz + with treble hooks, but also enough length to really set hook and control big fish on big baits.

I have fished the Z2020H exclusively on this rod with both 12lb Yozuri Hybrid and 15lb Sunline Defier...as crazy as it sounds, this combo, not just this rod, will cast Daiwa Peanuts and 1/4oz Bandit 100s as well as 1oz lipless rattlebaits and topwaters. I can walk big Sammies, Super Spooks, cast Big Bites (Buzzjets would be great on this blank as well), buzzbaits up to 3/4oz, swimbaits up to 1oz...all no problem. My guess is that if you were to fish say a Conquest 100 or DC 100 on this rod, if would be more than capable for even 1/4-3/8oz shallow-mid depth cranks all day.

This blank loads up nicely for long casts, is rather light for the graphite blend it is comprised of, and has more than good enough sensitivity for the power tech work it is meant for...another plus is that is was of good quality and consistancy throughout with only a slight show of blank appearance inconsistancy vs GLoomis, St. Croix, Shikari and other high-end blanks that I have used. The backbone is tremendous and it does an exceptional job of keeping trebles buttoned down. The only drawback is that the tip is not "stiff" enough for work with swimjigs (unless you are fishing an open hook) or bigger spinnerbaits with big hooks...mostly, I do not feel that it will have a fast and stiff enough tip to get these big hooks buried in a big bass' mouth. If you fish it with say, 55lb Daiwa Samurai braid, yes; but that kinda defeats the purpose of this type of blank IMO.

I think that this is great value blank that can allow for someone to build a very nice custom power cranking stick for about the same price of a factory stick; but still get all the specs of handle length, thread/trim color, components, wrap style, etc., to their specifications.

Hope this helps.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:28 pm

Specs: 907 = 90 inch or 7'6", 7 power CB or Crank Bait/JerkBait/Swimbait blank.

Blank weight: 2.45oz

12-25lb

1/2oz - 1 3/8oz

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:19 pm

I vote for the Phenix series --- X10 got a TT Editors Choice award.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:10 am

I'd examine a Seeker blank. ;)

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:41 am

I grabbed a Powell Endurance 726CB over the winter, and it appears as if it will pan out to be one heck of an all purpose cranking rod. I also have the Phenix X-10 that is mentioned above, and that thing is all kinds of whippy. I'd be nervous to throw more than 1/2 oz. on it, although it is a nice rod for the lighter/shallower stuff.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:18 am

thelatrobe33 wrote:I grabbed a Powell Endurance 726CB over the winter, and it appears as if it will pan out to be one heck of an all purpose cranking rod. I also have the Phenix X-10 that is mentioned above, and that thing is all kinds of whippy. I'd be nervous to throw more than 1/2 oz. on it, although it is a nice rod for the lighter/shallower stuff.
Yep. Sounds like the whippy fiberglass I fished as a kid. :big grin: I was wondering ..... have you thrown baits heavier than 1/2 oz on the rod? I was reading the TT review and they threw baits up to 1 1/4 oz on it with no issues. Anyway, I was curious because i haven't thrown my Phenix crankbait rods much yet.

Thanks.

Perry

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:10 am

:shock: that combo looks bad A$$
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

Jighead61
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jighead61 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:39 am

Dragon, thank you for the very informative review. I'm planning to build a crank stick on a MHX blank, but I'm torn between the CB845-Blend and CB847-Blend. I'm wondering which (if any) of these two blanks would fall in between the Loomis CB845 & CB847 in terms of power and action.

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:06 am

froteur wrote:
thelatrobe33 wrote:I grabbed a Powell Endurance 726CB over the winter, and it appears as if it will pan out to be one heck of an all purpose cranking rod. I also have the Phenix X-10 that is mentioned above, and that thing is all kinds of whippy. I'd be nervous to throw more than 1/2 oz. on it, although it is a nice rod for the lighter/shallower stuff.
Yep. Sounds like the whippy fiberglass I fished as a kid. :big grin: I was wondering ..... have you thrown baits heavier than 1/2 oz on the rod? I was reading the TT review and they threw baits up to 1 1/4 oz on it with no issues. Anyway, I was curious because i haven't thrown my Phenix crankbait rods much yet.

Thanks.

Perry
I haven't thrown much heavier than that because I carry 2 crankbait setups. The X-10 is right at home from 1/4 oz. to 1/2 oz. in my estimation. I use it for small spinnerbaits, small square bills, and Bomber 6A & 8A primarily.

jiggerjake
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jiggerjake » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:24 pm

Tokugawa wrote:I'd examine a Seeker blank. ;)
+2 on the Seeker.It can do it all for ya.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:12 pm

I fished a Seeker heavy power many years ago with much success (made by Brad Tharpe, whos is now rather infamous) great for spinnerbaits up to 1/2oz as well. I just prefer a faster tip for how I fish and for ripping out of grass. For backbone power, progressive loading and absolute pinning of a fish on trebles, the Seeker S-Glass is great.

I have never fished the 845 and 847 on the MHX...only the 907, so I really can't compare. If GLoomis made a 907, I would have gone that route...granted the MHX 907 CB is much less $$$.

NCbigbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NCbigbass » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:19 pm

I actually just built a MHX CR845. I can tell you it is not as stiff as I was hoping. I am probably just not used to the parabolic action, as I am primarily a pitch and flip man and am used to Fast taper rods. It is rated for 3/8 to 1 ounce and 10-20 line, but I could not see throwing more than 5/8 or 3/4 at the most on it. But I may be surprised, will be taking it out Monday and Tuesday we will see. I love the MHX blanks, to date I have built an SJ781, SJ782, FR904, MB844, and CR845. I even built a SJ720 into a casting rod for a Pixzilla. Next on my list will be a MB842.