Which is your favorite rod company?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.

Which rod manufacturer is your choice?

G.Loomis
22%
Shimano
8%
Daiwa
5%
St. Croix
15%
Lamiglas
0%
Kistler
4%
Phenix
3%
Abu Garcia
1%
Berkley
0%
Powell
4%
Dobyns Rods
17%
Zombie
0%
Damiki
0%
Falcon
2%
Quantum
0%
e21
0%
Airrus
1%
Duckett Fishing
1%
Denali
1%
Power Tackle
0%
Castaway
0%
iRod
0%
Lucky Craft
No votes
Wright & McGill
No votes
Temple Fork Outfitters
0%
American Rodsmith
No votes
All Star
0%
Pinnacle
0%
Okuma
0%
I'm a JDM Rod Guy. Given a choice, I don't touch the domestics
12%

Total votes: 1357

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Which is your favorite rod company?

Post by froteur » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:31 pm

Lays potato chips and rod companies ...... You can't just have one! :big grin:

Perry

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:12 pm

I don't have a fav rod company off the rack because I don't get paid by any of them :lol: ...and I agree that there are several makes that I like equally well.

If "custom" was a choice, then I would have voted that route.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Ichthyoangler
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Ichthyoangler » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:35 pm

dragon1 wrote:I don't have a fav rod company off the rack because I don't get paid by any of them :lol: ...and I agree that there are several makes that I like equally well.

If "custom" was a choice, then I would have voted that route.

The original question posted by Cal was simply: "Which is your favorite rod company?" And, he acknowledges that ..."it's silly to limit yourself to one manufacturer".... and "if you could only have one... "which manufacturer would you choose?" I consider it in the same line of thinking as the TT "A Search For One" series on casting rods, which I enjoyed reading very much.

Now, at least one of the fishing rod companies listed to vote for - KISTLER, makes "custom fishing rods" and those words are part of their company name/logo. They also make "stock" rods which are available from Tackle Warehouse and other reputable retailers. Yeah, I voted for Kistler. I prefer the features that they offer on their custom Z-bone LE models vs. their's and other's stock models and can attest that their original Helium LTA's (circa 2004) are some fine rods as well.

holden234
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by holden234 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:21 am

Have used G Loomis and Dobyns for years and even have custom rods built on Loomis blanks 3 or 4 years ago. Started using some Daiwa and Cumura rods but have settled on Crucial rods. They seem to fit me better and are better suited to my style of fishing. Just my personal preference.

Let my fishing partner have most of the Loomis and Dobyns and he swears by them and will not use anything else if he has choice.

wb3fry
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by wb3fry » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:47 am

I have to go with the St.Croix rod.Been using them for several years and they served me very well.
The company also treat you good even after you buy the rod.
The price is right also.You get what you pay for...Go USA....
George...
Gone Fishing

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:55 am

Ichthyoangler wrote:The original question posted by Cal was simply: "Which is your favorite rod company?" And, he acknowledges that ..."it's silly to limit yourself to one manufacturer".... and "if you could only have one... "which manufacturer would you choose?" I consider it in the same line of thinking as the TT "A Search For One" series on casting rods, which I enjoyed reading very much.
Yes, I read this, and answered appropriately...with a ":lol: " fish-fish seeker guy. For your edification, I voted Phenix as they are my fav off the rack rods currently, but they are not the only one...GLoomis and St. Croix are my most oft owned rods to this date...and most oft used blanks since 1995 along with Shikari.
Ichthyoangler wrote:Now, at least one of the fishing rod companies listed to vote for - KISTLER, makes "custom fishing rods" and those words are part of their company name/logo. They also make "stock" rods which are available from Tackle Warehouse and other reputable retailers. Yeah, I voted for Kistler. I prefer the features that they offer on their custom Z-bone LE models vs. their's and other's stock models and can attest that their original Helium LTA's (circa 2004) are some fine rods as well.
And Kistlers are still not considered custom by many...although I suppose, it may explain your reply.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:45 pm

if someone were to give me my choice of a set of rods for free, i'd choose g.loomis NRX. if i had to pay my money for the rods, i'd choose dobyns. so, i voted dobyns.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:56 pm

21farms wrote:if someone were to give me my choice of a set of rods for free, i'd choose g.loomis NRX. if i had to pay my money for the rods, i'd choose dobyns. so, i voted dobyns.
Well said.... 8-)
Rods & Reels Excite me!

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:44 pm

I have owned Gloomis rods, St.Croix Rods, E21, and various others. Sold and gave away most of my St.Croix rods and now I am mostly Shimano. The Crucial Line of Rods are worth every penny and stack up well to my more expensive Gloomis and St. Croix Rods. Not to mention the Cumara rods are better and or just as good as my high end Gloomis rods - plus, the Cumara rods are a better bang for the buck. Personally IMO, with Gloomis, you are just paying more for the brand name than anything else. Don't get me wrong they are very good rods. I did own 3 NRX's at one point but did not find it worth the money and sold them to get better reels. As stated in other posts, once you get into the $200+ range of rods, the quality and performance gains are minimal or not worth the extra money with few exceptions.

My vote - Shimano.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

vtbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by vtbasser » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:42 am

I went with Shimano. But I'm about to get my first Dobyns so I'm ready to be impressed.
www.hokiebass.com
Abu Garcia, Berkley, Trilene

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:19 am

Ichthyoangler wrote: I consider it in the same line of thinking as the TT "A Search For One" series on casting rods, which I enjoyed reading very much.
The search continues....
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:34 am

Last edited by Somerdink on Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:04 pm

Somerdink wrote:My choice was Dobyns its not because Im on there prostaff its because they have proven them selevs to me as a quality product. There customer service is also top notch and there willing to help you out with your selection. I used them before I was on there staff and they have been really awesome to me.
Right and if you said St. Croix as a Dobyn's prostaffer I might of believed you. [-X
Rods & Reels Excite me!

MikeLT
Angler
Angler

Post by MikeLT » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:54 pm

Dobyns gets my vote. I have owned and fish rods from A LOT of the companies on the list and as much as I loved my Loomis and St. Croix sticks I sold them all and replaced them with Dobyns. He is building GREAT rod's and the customer service is top notch.

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:42 pm

I honestly don't have one. I've got Fenwick, Kistler, Powell, Lucky Craft, & other rods & they all have their pluses & minuses. I go where the best deal is, regardless of the label that's on the stick. If I could choose any rod manufacturer to supply me with my rods regardless of price, I'd probably go with St. Croix. If I was forced to only buy from one rod company & not be sponsored by them, it'd probably be Abu or Powell.